X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    For wanting to remain a Padre?

Fans are weird.
    I don't think that was it at all. In his 5 years as a Padre he's done little to nothing to connect with the community. His performance has been underwhelming.

He just doesn't want to go to a losing club, especially from one that looks like it has a solid chance to make the playoffs. he's known for a long time the Padres front office wanted to move him and that the fans were ok with that. IMO, he's being petulant and that's how most of the Padres fanbase will look at it.

Is it valid to think/feel that? maybe not, but as you said--fans are weird.

FWIW he's not in the line up for today's game we'll see how this all plays out.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      The Nats did, kind of...
      Maybe a better question is who would take him? I kinda of feel that to move him Padres either have to take on another player similar contract or pay a good portion of his contract.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
        Maybe a better question is who would take him? I kinda of feel that to move him Padres either have to take on another player similar contract or pay a good portion of his contract.
        Well the whole point of moving Hosmer was to clear his salary. As I mentioned weeks ago, I was pretty sure the Padres ownership would go past the cap if necessary and they have with the acquisition of Soto, Bell and Hader (so far). So, clearing Hosmer's salary isn't as important now as it was before. If they can't trade him (and there will be some team that will take him if the Padres pick up his remaining contract) Gallo seems to be a good fit for a trade, Preller likes Gallo, the Yankees want to offload Joey so, Hosmer for Gallo with the Padres picking up Eric's remaining salary makes sense. Hosmer get's to go to a contender and Gallo get's out of NY. they'd at least get something for him, but if that doesn't work--I believe they'll DFA him as crazy as that sounds.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I don't think that was it at all. In his 5 years as a Padre he's done little to nothing to connect with the community. His performance has been underwhelming.

He just doesn't want to go to a losing club, especially from one that looks like it has a solid chance to make the playoffs. he's known for a long time the Padres front office wanted to move him and that the fans were ok with that. IMO, he's being petulant and that's how most of the Padres fanbase will look at it.

Is it valid to think/feel that? maybe not, but as you said--fans are weird.

FWIW he's not in the line up for today's game we'll see how this all plays out.
          I've never seen a player vilified for not "connecting with the community". Is that really a thing? I guess that means we should all be able to name off the top of our heads what every star player on local teams are doing for their community. I know I can't. I really don't think I'm alone.

It's a made up thing. Players get "credit" for those things they do in the community, but no fan base is actually upset if they aren't active. That isn't newsworthy.

It seems like Padres fan's are mad that the Padres overpaid him and that he wants to be a Padre. And they'd also be mad if he said he didn't want to be a Padre. Which again, is just really weird, but I guess fans are irrational.

Comment

Well the whole point of moving Hosmer was to clear his salary. As I mentioned weeks ago, I was pretty sure the Padres ownership would go past the cap if necessary and they have with the acquisition of Soto, Bell and Hader (so far). So, clearing Hosmer's salary isn't as important now as it was before. If they can't trade him (and there will be some team that will take him if the Padres pick up his remaining contract) Gallo seems to be a good fit for a trade, Preller likes Gallo, the Yankees want to offload Joey so, Hosmer for Gallo with the Padres picking up Eric's remaining salary makes sense. Hosmer get's to go to a contender and Gallo get's out of NY. they'd at least get something for him, but if that doesn't work--I believe they'll DFA him as crazy as that sounds.
            Gallo to the Dodgers.

Comment

Hosmer to...............the Red Sox???

Comment

well this is too damn funny not to post

Comment

Wow! Boston is taking Hosmer.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                    Wow! Boston is taking Hosmer.
                    Strange considering Casas isn't too far off.

Comment

I've never seen a player vilified for not "connecting with the community". Is that really a thing? I guess that means we should all be able to name off the top of our heads what every star player on local teams are doing for their community. I know I can't. I really don't think I'm alone.

It's a made up thing. Players get "credit" for those things they do in the community, but no fan base is actually upset if they aren't active. That isn't newsworthy.

It seems like Padres fan's are mad that the Padres overpaid him and that he wants to be a Padre. And they'd also be mad if he said he didn't want to be a Padre. Which again, is just really weird, but I guess fans are irrational.
                      here's a bit of Hosmer history in SD. Most fans didn't like the signing at the time it happened. As you stated, they believe he was overpaid and looking at the fact his war for the 5 years he's been with the Padres sits at 0.3 they have a valid complaint. His GG defense has also been absent. San Diego is a tough place to play as it's fanbase want their players to either #1 perform well or #2 embrace the community. Hosmer has done neither and is looked upon as a guy playing out the contract for the money. very few fans believe he really cares about being a Padre. outside of wearing the uniform he's done nothing to prove otherwise. Is it irrational? There's a reason Fan is short for Fanatic. All I know is that Padre fans have been ready to see Hosmer hit the bricks for a couple of years now, so he won't be missed.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

here's a bit of Hosmer history in SD. Most fans didn't like the signing at the time it happened. As you stated, they believe he was overpaid
                        Agreed, they should be mad at management and not Hosmer. But that's what fans do!

San Diego is a tough place to play as it's fanbase want their players to either #1 perform well or #2 embrace the community.
                        I'd like to see evidence of this. Feels more like something a very niche set of fans cares about that's being attributed to the whole. I find it extremely unlikely. If it's actually an issue surely there are a myriad of articles on the topic. I'd love to read some of them to understand why he's treated differently than other athletes, because "isn't involved in the community" isn't really a thing in the industry, it sounds more like Padres fans who are looking for excuses to blame the player rather than the team.

Is it irrational? There's a reason Fan is short for Fanatic.
                        That was my point all along, and I don't think it's different than any other team. Irrational fans will be irrational.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Strange considering Casas isn't too far off.
                          Hosmer contract 13 mil per season isn't horrible and as I understand the Padres are paying a chunk of his contract but they are lock in for 3 more years. I guess Boston is looking at his BA and OBP isn't bad. He is a slight upgrade and plays good defense. Maybe they are using him to bridge the gap to Casas.

Comment

the fact his war for the 5 years he's been with the Padres sits at 0.3 they have a valid complaint.
                            When I first read this, I thought that couldnt be right. I 1st looked at his bWAR, which is a cumulative 3.9 over the 5 years. Then I thought "he must have meant annual WAR or something". Then, I looked up his fWAR and indeed it is a cumulative 0.3 WAR. That's bad enough for any MLB starter but for one making Hosmer's salary it's truly awful. I dont know what else he's done to alienate the Padres' fans but his on-field performance certainly has.
                            Last edited by rhd; 08-02-2022, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Agreed, they should be mad at management and not Hosmer. But that's what fans do!

I'd like to see evidence of this. Feels more like something a very niche set of fans cares about that's being attributed to the whole. I find it extremely unlikely. If it's actually an issue surely there are a myriad of articles on the topic. I'd love to read some of them to understand why he's treated differently than other athletes, because "isn't involved in the community" isn't really a thing in the industry, it sounds more like Padres fans who are looking for excuses to blame the player rather than the team.

That was my point all along, and I don't think it's different than any other team. Irrational fans will be irrational.
                              Evidence? All I can give you is anecdotal gleaned from my 40 years as a Padre fan. Padre fans, right or wrong, expect every player in the uniform to strive to be as loved and produce as exceptionally as Tony Gwynn. He is the beginning, middle and end of expectations. They'll tolerate those who aren't great payers if they're great people/teammates/community members. They'll tolerate (less so) those who don't embrace the town, but put up numbers. Again, it's not rational, but it's the way it's been. I would do a deep dig into Padre Players Past to illustrate my beliefs, but I'd rather you just take my word for it.

I hope Hosmer finds happiness and success, but I'm glad he's gone.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Voit replaces Hosmer in the Soto deal, but note the source.

Comment

Working...
                                X