No announcement yet.

Midterm Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the house pretty certain to flip and the GOP promising impeachment of Biden, would now be a good time for Biden to step down and allow Harris to take the reins?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Wellllll, post game observations:

- If Laxalt holds on in Nevada, I'll win our family Senate race pool regardless of how Warnock/Walker goes. That also assumes Kelly is a fait accompli in Arizona; I don't see how he loses it. that's worth $60, so no matter what, I have to like the election results.
      - I laughed in the face of more than one of my GOP friends on their hallucination of winning the NY Governor's race.
      - I was surprised at the margins in a lot of governor races; much bigger than I expected.
      - I did pick Fetterman to win; the margins in the Philly area are just too much for all but the best GOP candidate to overcome. But I was surprised he cleared by at least four points. Given his debate catastrophe, I figured he'd get a one or two point win.
      - Same for Vance; I picked him, but that was a far wider margin than I expected. And Hassan in NH.
      - Raphael Warnock pulled around 140k more votes than Stacey Abrams. Against a Trump supported, Georgia football legend. That's over a 7 percent benefit to Warnock over Abrams. No one dares say it in the identity politics of the Democratic party, but Abrams blows chunks as a candidate.
      - It'll be interesting to see how the House comes out. IMO, I'm betting 224 seats for the GOP, barely over the majority. To GITH's point, with that slim of a margin, I think it'll be unlikely Joe Biden is impeached, or if they even start hearings. Now his son.....that's a different story.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

<p>
        Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        No one dares say it in the identity politics of the Democratic party, but Abrams blows chunks as a candidate.
        I will say it--she does. It is clear that the DNC wants her in office more than the voters where she is trying to get elected. And while he seems like a good guy, so does Beto. Maybe he is just trying to win in the wrong place, but given the resources spent to try to get him elected without success, I think it is time for him to either stop trying or try for a lower office.</p>

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          <p>
          I will say it--she does. It is clear that the DNC wants her in office more than the voters where she is trying to get elected. And while he seems like a good guy, so does Beto. Maybe he is just trying to win in the wrong place, but given the resources spent to try to get him elected without success, I think it is time for him to either stop trying or try for a lower office.</p>
          I was going to go on to Beto, but got distracted.

OTOH, some on your side did great jobs - Laura Kelly for governor of Kansas did a great job and has a really good understanding how to blend retail politics and modern social media tools. Michelle Lujan Grisham did well in a purple state, and is young enough for bigger things. Tammy Duckworth has solidified her support in Illinois, and had Biden had a lick of common sense, would already be VP.

Comment

Beto & Abrams need to go away. Entrusting either of them to win a major race is foolish.

Comment

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Cortes Masto wins re-election in Nevada, with another Trumpy election-denying loser losing, clinching it for the Dems

Trump and The Big Lie — the gift that keeps on giving to Democrats! And he’s keeping it going, with new claims of election fraud in arizona and Pennsylvania.

Trump has become the Dem’s new BFF

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  Back to reality. Red trickle rates a Thank God Ga avoided Walker (barely) PA went Blue as has my new state AZ! Maybe we&#39;re not so far from saving.
                  AZ representing! The Senate, Governor and Secretary of State all went BLUE! And the Atty Gen.race has the Democrat leading (slightly) with 96% reporting.
                  Looks like Revo can add it back to the list of potential retirement destinations!
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    AZ representing! The Senate, Governor and Secretary of State all went BLUE! And the Atty Gen.race has the Democrat leading (slightly) with 96% reporting. Looks like Revo can add it back to the list of potential retirement destinations!
                    Haha, that's EXACTLY what I texted Hornsby! This election was absolutely a referendum on Trump and The Big Lie, and it's pretty plain to see that if the GOP continues with their unabashed loyalty to him in '24, they will get drubbed again. He has NO chance of winning re-election. NONE. He is cancer to independents, suburbanites, minorities, women, LGBTQs, and most importantly of all, young voters. If the GOP was smart, they would deftly move away from his ass ASAP. But, they're not.

Comment

• Well, if there was any doubt the throwdown on the Bidens is coming, I'd venture to say Rep. James Comer has ended all doubt on that topic.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Well, if there was any doubt the throwdown on the Bidens is coming, I'd venture to say Rep. James Comer has ended all doubt on that topic. https://makeagif.com/gif/kurt-russel...ou-hear-nT_wkY
                        As Expected. If there's valid reason to investigate, then by all means--do so. But let's not pretend this is nothing more than petty BS by the right after 2 WARRENTED, impeachments of Trump by the left.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Rafael Warnock has defeated Herschel Walker to win the Georgia Senate runoff election. Manchin and Sinema can now go sit at the kids table.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• The TFG effect -- Walker ran nearly 7 pts behind fellow Republican Kemp in Georgia.
                            In all other '22 elections, MAGAt candidates ran 5.5 pts behind other Republicans in competitive districts, and 4.9 pts behind in all districts.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              Rafael Warnock has defeated Herschel Walker to win the Georgia Senate runoff election. Manchin and Sinema can now go sit at the kids table.

What a relief. Walker had no business in public office. He is an idiot. I was worried the run off would go his way, because I thought the Libertarian votes would natrually break right. Thank goodnes voters came to their senses and realized Walker was an embarrassment of a candidate.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                The TFG effect -- Walker ran nearly 7 pts behind fellow Republican Kemp in Georgia. In all other '22 elections, MAGAt candidates ran 5.5 pts behind other Republicans in competitive districts, and 4.9 pts behind in all districts.

His recent call to wipe his behind with the constitution has further emboldened GOPers to speak out, but still not enough. These results really should empower them to break hard from Trump. Let's hope so.

Comment

Working...
                                X