Midterm Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The power of the Dobbs verdict:
    The last WSJ election poll was in March. They just released their latest poll. Between then and this latest poll, Independent Female voters shifted 20 points in the Dems' direction, and Hispanic Female voters 15 points.

Battleground state GOP nominees, once proudly raising the pro-life flag, have largely scrubbed it from their websites in an effort to distance themselves, which at this point, is kind of impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Thousands of migrants are being sent by bus from Texas to Washington DC and New York this year at the direction of Texas Governor Greg Abbott, in an effort to highlight his criticism of the Biden administration’s immigration policies.

“Before we began busing migrants to New York, it was just Texas and Arizona that bore the brunt of all the chaos and problems that come with it,” the governor said in a statement this week. “Now, the rest of America can understand exactly what is going on.”

Abbott said Friday the state had sent more than 7,000 migrants by bus to Washington since April and more than 900 migrants to New York City since August 5.

New York City officials said last week intake centers were already overwhelmed, and although they planned to open more emergency housing this month, they faced problems stemming from a lack of coordination from the state of Texas.

“They’ve essentially weaponized this situation,” Manuel Castro, commissioner of the mayor’s immigrant affairs office, said in a recent city council hearing. “We’ve learned that the bus company that they’ve been working with has a nondisclosure agreement that does not allow them to communicate with the city of New York.”
      Arizona Republican Governor Doug Ducey is also sending busloads of immigrants to DC. They've sent 46 buses carrying 1,677 migrants.

Texas has sent 7,900 migrants on 190 buses to DC, 2,200 migrants on 40 buses to New York City, and 300 migrants on 5 buses to Chicago.

As of August 9, Texas had paid $12,707,720.92 to Wynne Transportation, the charter service that is taking migrants to New York and DC.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Another right wing election denier won a Republican primary, this time in for New Hampshire Senate. Another gift for Dems. Don Bolduc is also a former brigadier general, which is kind of mind-boggling that someone that high up in the military would ride on something that is not based on facts. I bet he also thinks we won in Vietnam.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
          Arizona Republican Governor Doug Ducey is also sending busloads of immigrants to DC. They've sent 46 buses carrying 1,677 migrants.

Texas has sent 7,900 migrants on 190 buses to DC, 2,200 migrants on 40 buses to New York City, and 300 migrants on 5 buses to Chicago.

As of August 9, Texas had paid $12,707,720.92 to Wynne Transportation, the charter service that is taking migrants to New York and DC.
          Don't coyotes usually get paid for trafficking illegals? These guys are really shitty at their job.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

So the new MO is Republicans refusing to debate opponents. It's smart, but pretty transparent--though I doubt it'll matter much to most MAGA/GOP voters.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              So the new MO is Republicans refusing to debate opponents. It's smart, but pretty transparent--though I doubt it'll matter much to most MAGA/GOP voters.
              While there are some cases of this, this sword has cut both ways in some pretty high profile races. Fetterman, for example, has been ducking Mehmet Oz in the Pennsylvania Senate race, and if he's well enough to campaign, one would think he's well enough to debate a lightweight like Oz.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                While there are some cases of this, this sword has cut both ways in some pretty high profile races. Fetterman, for example, has been ducking Mehmet Oz in the Pennsylvania Senate race, and if he's well enough to campaign, one would think he's well enough to debate a lightweight like Oz.
                FYI, they did set a debate for October 25th.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  FYI, they did set a debate for October 25th.
                  Yup, and Walker will debate Warnock - I don't remember the date, but it's in Savannah.

GITH's definitely right that some GOP candidates are ducking debates. So are some Dems. I suspect both are doing that to leverage best likely outcomes, and in some cases, leads are so strong, there's much less risk declining debates. Which sucks, but I get it. Hypothetical example, if Warnock were up 10 points in Georgia, if I were his political advisor, there's no way I'd recommend debating Walker. Sure, the most likely outcome will be that Warnock completely crushes Walker in a debate - but that's what everyone is expecting. If Warnock has a bad night, or Walker actually turns out to be average instead of really bad, then Warnock's lead would be put at significant risk. It's the lesson learned from the Gore-Bush debates. Gore absolutely smoked Bush in the first two debates, but then in the third and final debate, Gore wasn't as sharp and while Bush wasn't awesome or anything, he came across a lot better. It's not like Bush "won" the debate, but it was a lot closer than many expected, and it was the last debate impression left on independent voters.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Yup, and Walker will debate Warnock - I don't remember the date, but it's in Savannah.

GITH's definitely right that some GOP candidates are ducking debates. So are some Dems. I suspect both are doing that to leverage best likely outcomes, and in some cases, leads are so strong, there's much less risk declining debates. Which sucks, but I get it. Hypothetical example, if Warnock were up 10 points in Georgia, if I were his political advisor, there's no way I'd recommend debating Walker. Sure, the most likely outcome will be that Warnock completely crushes Walker in a debate - but that's what everyone is expecting. If Warnock has a bad night, or Walker actually turns out to be average instead of really bad, then Warnock's lead would be put at significant risk. It's the lesson learned from the Gore-Bush debates. Gore absolutely smoked Bush in the first two debates, but then in the third and final debate, Gore wasn't as sharp and while Bush wasn't awesome or anything, he came across a lot better. It's not like Bush "won" the debate, but it was a lot closer than many expected, and it was the last debate impression left on independent voters.
                    Yup, Hochul hasn't announced any debates with Zeldin yet.

Comment

So, of course DeSantis had to get in on the interstate immigrant transfer PR stunt used by his fellow GOP governors. But, it may have backfired on him.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Daily Beast reporting that pro-life Herschel Walker, who has claimed that abortion is murder, paid for his girlfriend to get an abortion in 2009.

Whoopsie daisy!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Daily Beast reporting that pro-life Herschel Walker, who has claimed that abortion is murder, paid for his girlfriend to get an abortion in 2009.

Whoopsie daisy!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/pro-li...georgia-senate
                          This guy is one of the worst humans I’ve ever heard of. Im sure he paid for it right after beating the shit out of her

Comment

Whoa!

Comment

Walker seems to not only be a complete idiot, but a massive hypocrite and horrible husband and father. How anyone could vote for him is beyond me.

As for his son, he has an older video showing massive privilege and being way out of touch, trying mock Dems who dragged him for blaming Biden for gas prices while he was waring a $1200 t-shirt, so he is no prize himself.

Comment

I am sure the Trump kids could reveal a LOT like this kid has, but one thing Trump seems a lot better than Walker at is getting those kids to sign NDAs or something. The loyalty to dad is a lot stronger in that dysfunctional family than this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X