Gronk Retiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gronk Retiring

I don't really follow football much anymore and plan on quitting my long time fantasy football league as I've been phoning it in for years, but I was curious if the consensus was the Gronk was the TE GOAT. On a per game basis, it is hard to argue he is not, but he has played way less games than Tony G and Antonio Gates, the two guys that outclass him in overall stats. I have no dog in this fight. I was just surprised, on reflecting, that I realized this was even a real question. I never saw Gronk as the GOAT, maybe in part because he is such a goofball, but his per game stats are otherworldly, he was very clutch, and his postseason numbers are next level. I still see Tony G as the TE GOAT, as I was aware of his game to game career much more (I followed football more during his career than during the second half of Gronk's), and Gates is my number 2, but I can certainly see the perspective that Gronk holds that title above both of them.

So Gronk is Barry Sanders to Tony G's Emmitt Smith?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      So Gronk is Barry Sanders to Tony G's Emmitt Smith?
      Ah, analogies I can relate to, back when I used to really watch football and enjoy it--man, did I love watching Barry Sanders do his magic behind that awful line. I always advocated for Barry being better. Emmitt has one of the best offensive lines I have ever seen in my lifetime. Who knows what Barry could have done behind that line! I guess this shows an inconsistency in my rankings here. I had Barry better. Maybe I should also have Gronk ahead of Tony G. But the other factor is style of play. I favor finesse/skill over phsyical gifts. Sanders was poetry in motion.

Comment

Gronk is the GOAT of TEs, absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Gronk is the GOAT of TEs, absolutely.
          I was wondering about Kellen Winslow...my google search led me to this. Didn't realize Gonzalez was a 14 time pro bowler

3. Rob Gronkowski
          New England 2010-18, Tampa Bay 2020-Present

4-time first-team All-Pro, 5-time Pro Bowler

Super Bowl XLIX, LI, LIII, LV champion

1. Tony Gonzalez
          Kansas City 1997-2008; Atlanta 2009-13

6-time first-team All-Pro, 14-time Pro Bowler

270 games – 1,325 catches, 15,127 yards (11.4 ypc), 111 TDs
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yawn. Gronk retires every year just to avoid training camp.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Gronk: 9 yrs, 621 receptions, 9286 yds, 92 TDs (plus 1 rushing TD)

Tony Gonz: 17 yrs, 1,325 receptions, 15,127 yds, 111 TDs

Tony only played six games in the playoffs and was very good in those games, but Gronk had a fantastic postseason career with 15 TDs in 22 games. Gronk is one of the best all-time at scoring touchdowns. Gonzales was no slouch there, but nowhere near Gronk. But really tough to ignore Tony's counting stats, which pretty much double Gronk's. Pretty close, imo.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                Yawn. Gronk retires every year just to avoid training camp.
                Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports Rob Gronkowski contacted the Buccaneers about playing in November, but decided to remain retired "for now."
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                X