Americans against free Healthcare are gullible dum-dums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans against free Healthcare are gullible dum-dums

Apologies for the harsh title. Just wanted to share my Canadian birth story.

My wife gave birth 2 days ago. Here's all the services we've gotten for free.

Prior to pregnancy, free family doctor visits (as always) and testing if my wife or I were able to have kids at our advanced age. Luckily got pregnant right before the jizz test, but that would have also been free. About 5 visits, including confirmation ultrasound.

Bi-weekly pregnancy and post-partum meetings, followed by a 1 hour clinic follow-up with ultrasound, sometimes other tests. About 12 meetings total.

Free advanced screening called NIPT. The cost was over $500, but if we applied for financial assistance, 2/3 of these screenings were paid for. We got lucky and it was free for us. Found out the sex, and screened for many possible illnesses or complications much earlier than most (i think it was 14 weeks). But the other slightly less advanced screening is done about 6 weeks later than NIPT, would have also been free.

Our baby was big, so we were encouraged to get induced to labour. This involved 4 days of clinic or hospital visits for free cervical sweeps and inducement drugs.

Hospital stay was in a private room, with large private bathroom and soaker tub, as my wife planned to have a water birth. In labour, my wife accepted the offer of nitrous oxide, and kept the gas going for 12 hours. Pain was still too much and my wife then opted for an epidural. Near the end of delivery we needed one last inducement drug, oxytocin. We hired a doula to assist in the delivery. She helped with encouragement, pro tips, and ended up sending us 160 labour and delivery photos. Paid by donation, said to average $350-$700. She was with us for 12 hours (9 pm to 9 am) and we'll pay $500, money well spent.

Baby delivered at 6:40 am on Wednesday. We were then given time to room-in with baby, get used to breast feeding and nurses could take care of my wife's pain with drugs or ice packs, etc. Room had a pullout futon for me to sleep on. Free cable TV, free wifi, free parking passes for 4 days total, and free unlimited room service. Free diapers, wipes, etc, and more to take home after. Left the room at 10 pm, 52 hours after arriving.

No idea how much Americans without insurance would pay for this care. $20k? $50k? We haven't had to think or talk about insurance, not once. All of the concentration is on emotional and physical support for new parents. It was incredible.

To all the M4A naysayers that talk about compromising quality of care, look at how my wife and I were treated!

Lastly, look at how many American lives would have been saved during Covid with M4A. 338K people! That's 5 times more deaths than Americans lost in the Vietnam War!

Fucking backwards ass country.

We named the baby Juni, if anyone wondered.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Congrats!

Healthcare is an essential. The problem, in part, in the US is that over 90% of people do have it with the complicated systems we have, so most of them fear a change to how they are insured with a switch to universal coverage for the other 8-10% of people who need it (the number used to be higher, but the ACA, despite all its flaws, helped insure many millions of previously uninsured people). It does seem like things have slowly gotten a little better. I did not have coverage for much of my childhood and that continued throughout college, which has led to a bad habit of mine of never going to the doctor now, even though I have great coverage now. The grad students now all have it, so that is positive change. Even a state like Florida has gotten better with time. Again, when I was a kid, there were kids with no coverage. Now, KidCare covers every kid fully--my nieces have been on it all their lives. Of course, these slowly emerging, incomplete solutions are not ideal, but some of these programs have inched up coverage in places.

I have had family (my sister did not for a long time and has a massive bill she could not pay about 10 years ago, but her kids luckily always have had it with Kidcare) and friends not have coverage and the sad reality for them was they were so broke and has such bad credit anyway, it didn't matter. They went to the hospital, racked up massive debt, didn't pay, and their credit kept sucking, which, of course, hurt them in many other ways. But the did get the medial care they needed, without their lives changing, really, afterwards.

Where it really hurts is folks doing well enough to have decent credit and aspirations of home ownership, but no coverage. Then something like a big medical emergency can ruin them. Everyone in my immediate circle that has been in that spot were already financially ruined, so it didn't really matter all that much to them at the time. My sister finally had that medical debt off her report, but has had to run up other debt so her credit still isn't good, which costs her so much money. Bad credit really puts you in a hole that is hard too climb out of.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 06-18-2022, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Congratulations Teenwolf!
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Congrats tw. Love the name, Juni!!!

Just curious (as a fellow canuck) - why do you care about Americans opinions towards health care? Personally, if they want to run a society where the fund the military instead of health care, I'm totally good with that approach.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          Congrats tw. Love the name, Juni!!!

Just curious (as a fellow canuck) - why do you care about Americans opinions towards health care? Personally, if they want to run a society where the fund the military instead of health care, I'm totally good with that approach.
          I do think there are negative externalities for the rest of the world from our military-industrial complex, but probably more so for countries like Somalia and Yemen than for Canada.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            I do think there are negative externalities for the rest of the world from our military-industrial complex, but probably more so for countries like Somalia and Yemen than for Canada.
            Yeah, that was going to be part of my response (also Israel is a fucking abomination). The evil empire needs to be neutered.

I'm more worried about America's rapid descent towards fascism. The entire system is on the brink, and the response is more guns in schools, abortion bans, legislative attacks on gay and trans people, elevating racist culture wars like the CRT bullshit, overfunding a militant and unaccountable police force, etc. Canada is already taking diplomatic measures to gird against the impending downfall.

All because of what Sour Masher explains. Working class voters are simply too stupid, and too selfish to advocate for M4A, and politicians say exactly that, openly! The Bernie vs Lindsey Graham debate is a clear example.

I just think medical bankruptcies (minimum 20% of bankruptcies in US are over medical bills) should be a crime against humanity.

I'm also just pissed off that so many left wing voters buy the bullshit, and end up supporting do-nothing Dems like the current administration. M4A is a bi-partisan loser because the entire system is corrupted. Both sides are beholden to the donor class. The only difference is Dems pretending to care.

Just feeling generally black-pilled and pissing into the wind.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
            X