Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rules problem, what would you do

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    You could also see it another way.

Commish intended more roster flexibility than the written rules. This makes sense because policing rosters is one of the biggest jobs a commish will undertake. Writing it so there's no policing makes sense to me, as you dont want your commish taking on extra work needlessly. The commish is looking for a solution to appease you, as he mentions changing the constitution in the offseason as a sign of good faith.

I don't think anything has been mishandled intentionally, and I see a willingness to address the issue after the season. Remember that the first year of any league is going to involve feeling out the rules, and just appreciate that everyone is trying different strategies to see what works. In 16 team mixed, it's shallow enough that you shouldn't be terribly worried about guys getting a few extra prospects. Your league goes 400 prospects deep, my dynasty goes 500. Nearly every player I've highlighted in the dynasty breakout thread is someone I've acquired for a few FAAB bucks or a very late pick (i dropped 14 prospects to be able to use draft picks, nobody else dropped more than 6, iirc), many of which are likely available for you. Unless this owner is an extreme talent shark for prospects, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Fun discussion though. Good luck.
    I pretty much agree with this.

I would add that it seems you are having fun...ish.

I am in a couple of new only leagues that I am struggling with. They make trading and FAABing very hard. This leads to making a rebuild a long process. In addition the cost is not cheap.

The auction was fun very fun. I have decided to play out my first year and most likely will stay for a second. I will then decide if it is enough fun to stay long term (they have been around a long time).

I think if I am in your shoes I would see what the Commish has in mind for rule changes in the off season. I would also encourage you to have a cup of coffee and conversation in the off season to talk about your concerns (which in my eyes are very valid).

Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    You could also see it another way.

Commish intended more roster flexibility than the written rules. This makes sense because policing rosters is one of the biggest jobs a commish will undertake. Writing it so there's no policing makes sense to me, as you dont want your commish taking on extra work needlessly. The commish is looking for a solution to appease you, as he mentions changing the constitution in the offseason as a sign of good faith.

I don't think anything has been mishandled intentionally, and I see a willingness to address the issue after the season. Remember that the first year of any league is going to involve feeling out the rules, and just appreciate that everyone is trying different strategies to see what works. In 16 team mixed, it's shallow enough that you shouldn't be terribly worried about guys getting a few extra prospects. Your league goes 400 prospects deep, my dynasty goes 500. Nearly every player I've highlighted in the dynasty breakout thread is someone I've acquired for a few FAAB bucks or a very late pick (i dropped 14 prospects to be able to use draft picks, nobody else dropped more than 6, iirc), many of which are likely available for you. Unless this owner is an extreme talent shark for prospects, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Fun discussion though. Good luck.
    I tend to be hard core about following rules. Perhaps some slack could be given since it is a new league and is getting its footing. But I would not wait untilnthe off-season to have a discussion. I would talk to the commish right away and express concerns and get assurances that from here on out rules are rules. That might satisfy me...i just hate not following laid out rules and once is too much, but if I was comfident it was a one time thing and I liked the league I would probably stick aroumd

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I tend to be hard core about following rules. Perhaps some slack could be given since it is a new league and is getting its footing. But I would not wait untilnthe off-season to have a discussion. I would talk to the commish right away and express concerns and get assurances that from here on out rules are rules. That might satisfy me...i just hate not following laid out rules and once is too much, but if I was comfident it was a one time thing and I liked the league I would probably stick aroumd
    He has talked to the commish. Commish stated will address in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    He has talked to the commish. Commish stated will address in the off season.
    Well fine...if Ken is ok with that. I wouldn't be

Hall of Famer
    Well fine...if Ken is ok with that. I wouldn't be
    Over the many years I have played in several different leagues Rules changes are done in the off season. I know this is more of an interpretation of the rules but it will involve solidifying the intent of the rule. Sometimes (especially if the league is fun) we might want to show some grace and patience for the betterment and growth of the league. So I understand waiting to the off season.

The tricky thing is that you don't know how this will be resolved and if you will want to stay. I suppose it is too late to pivot and try to make the money this year, in case it is your last?

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    The tricky thing is that you don't know how this will be resolved and if you will want to stay. I suppose it is too late to pivot and try to make the money this year, in case it is your last?
    If it was me, and i saw potential in the league, I'd just want to have some confidence that the rules as written will be applied. If not, I wouldn't care much about this year, I'd just bail.

To respond to Gregg, I would not wait until the offseason to get assurance about how the league will be run (make up rules as you go vs. follow the rules as written). I think it is a fundamental question about the league that should be able to be addressed right now. If they tell Ken they will decide about following the rules sometime in the off-season...he can decide what to do, but I would be out.

If it was me, and i saw potential in the league, I'd just want to have some confidence that the rules as written will be applied. If not, I wouldn't care much about this year, I'd just bail.

To respond to Gregg, I would not wait until the offseason to get assurance about how the league will be run (make up rules as you go vs. follow the rules as written). I think it is a fundamental question about the league that should be able to be addressed right now. If they tell Ken they will decide about following the rules sometime in the off-season...he can decide what to do, but I would be out.
    What rules would everyone agree to being ignored in any league they play in? I can't believe anyone thinks it is ok for the commish to just ignore clear league rules

What rules would everyone agree to being ignored in any league they play in? I can't believe anyone thinks it is ok for the commish to just ignore clear league rules
    I'm fine with the roto rules being ignored. It says AVG but the commish really meant OBP so he can change it later.

(sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I'm fine with the roto rules being ignored. It says AVG but the commish really meant OBP so he can change it later.

(sarcasm)
    maybe just ask which rules are really rules, and which ones are subject to the commish changing his mind. And then schedule a meeting for three years from now to lock it down and get confirmation.