Hypercompetitive youth sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypercompetitive youth sports

I've now been coaching my kids for about 6 years, from baseball, basketball and soccer, and it seems like with every year, the coaches are getting more and more crazy. Is anyone else noticing this?

Last night, my older one had a rec league game. After the game, I was told that one of the coaches from the other team told one of their players to step on my first basemen's ankle and/or run him over at first base. I cannot believe a grown man would basically tell a kid to try and injure another kid. I mean, really? Is that where we are at? I wish I would have known about this during the game, as I could have made a much bigger stink. Now the game is over and we probably won't play them again for the rest of the year.

There were some other things during the game as well, but nothing as disturbing as the above.

That is dissapointing. Good job on your coaching. Hopefully people appreciate your efforts
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      That is dissapointing. Good job on your coaching. Hopefully people appreciate your efforts
      I'm really just in it for the gift cards that I sometimes get from parents as a "thank you."

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
        I've now been coaching my kids for about 6 years, from baseball, basketball and soccer, and it seems like with every year, the coaches are getting more and more crazy. Is anyone else noticing this?

Last night, my older one had a rec league game. After the game, I was told that one of the coaches from the other team told one of their players to step on my first basemen's ankle and/or run him over at first base. I cannot believe a grown man would basically tell a kid to try and injure another kid. I mean, really? Is that where we are at? I wish I would have known about this during the game, as I could have made a much bigger stink. Now the game is over and we probably won't play them again for the rest of the year.

There were some other things during the game as well, but nothing as disturbing as the above.
        My 11 year old Grandson has been playing competitive Hockey for 6 years. His coaches have been excellent. They teach clean play. If someone else plays dirty (this has happened quite a bit over the years) get even by scoring more goals.

I have seen kids get tossed out of games. I have seen parents and grandparents get ejected from the rink. People get worked up with competitive sports. But all in all it is very good with just a few bad things sprinkled in.

Your example is terrible. That coach should be suspended for the rest of the year and on probation for next year. No place for this in sports of any age.

Comment

That's really rough. It's been about four years since my kids were in youth sports leagues, and I don't remember seeing that kind of stuff then. I thought some coaches were more competitively intense than I thought was healthy, but I don't remember seeing anything like trying to harm kids. That's just not right and not even the purpose of the whole enterprise.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Yeah, things seem a lot more intense in my kid's games than they used to feel. First baseball game of the season we had some chucklefuck screaming at the volunteer ump. Second to last soccer game of the season we had a coach telling his kid to step on kids' ankles and push them out of the way, resulting in a parent on my kid's team instructing our kids to fight back as hard as they could when assaulted. That parent is an actively practicing district judge. We forfeited that game, to a chorus of "what are you gonna do, cry????" from the redneck loser parents on the other side. It was upsetting.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I'm really just in it for the gift cards that I sometimes get from parents as a "thank you."
              Jersey + gift cards= more playing time.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bene Futuis;426331]Yeah, things seem a lot more intense in my kid's games than they used to feel. First baseball game of the season we had some chucklefuck screaming at the volunteer ump. Second to last soccer game of the season we had a coach telling his kid to step on kids' ankles and push them out of the way, resulting in a parent on my kid's team instructing our kids to fight back as hard as they could when assaulted. That parent is an actively practicing district judge. We forfeited that game, to a chorus of "what are you gonna do, cry????" from the redneck loser parents on the other side. It was upsetting.[/QUOTE

Wow.

Comment

Those go a long way ! Always nice to get a free dinner out of your hours of commitment and dedication : ) I had a good group of parents who were appreciative when I coached. That and knowing you are contributing to your kid and all the other kids is what matters....but the gift cards are nice !!
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    My 11 year old Grandson has been playing competitive Hockey for 6 years. His coaches have been excellent. They teach clean play. If someone else plays dirty (this has happened quite a bit over the years) get even by scoring more goals.

I have seen kids get tossed out of games. I have seen parents and grandparents get ejected from the rink. People get worked up with competitive sports. But all in all it is very good with just a few bad things sprinkled in.

Your example is terrible. That coach should be suspended for the rest of the year and on probation for next year. No place for this in sports of any age.
                    Yeah I'm okay being competitive, that's fine. I certainly want to win. But my favorite moments this year are when the kid who sits down in the outfield half the time got to play second base and actually made a clean out on a ground ball to second. Or the kid who cried because a pitcher was throwing too hard and he was scared got a hit in the following game. Or when my son, who hasn't been able to hit worth a damn this year made a great play in the field last night. Those are the moments I will remember - not our record. Granted, I am an exemplary human being, but this particular example really just got to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                      Yeah, things seem a lot more intense in my kid's games than they used to feel. First baseball game of the season we had some chucklefuck screaming at the volunteer ump. Second to last soccer game of the season we had a coach telling his kid to step on kids' ankles and push them out of the way, resulting in a parent on my kid's team instructing our kids to fight back as hard as they could when assaulted. That parent is an actively practicing district judge. We forfeited that game, to a chorus of "what are you gonna do, cry????" from the redneck loser parents on the other side. It was upsetting.
                      That is absurd.

I will say between chucklefuck and Johnny Dickshot and calm your tits, you have a mastery of the English language that is unrivaled in these parts.

Comment

Those go a long way ! Always nice to get a free dinner out of your hours of commitment and dedication : ) I had a good group of parents who were appreciative when I coached. That and knowing you are contributing to your kid and all the other kids is what matters....but the gift cards are nice !!
                        I was fortunate not to have a lot of issues with aggressiveness/violence...the other teams seemed to be happy just humiliating my teams within the rules.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I was fortunate not to have a lot of issues with aggressiveness/violence...the other teams seemed to be happy just humiliating my teams within the rules.
                          Oh yeah, we are mostly getting smoked. I think we have 1 win and 1 tie where we ran out of time, but we have been mercy ruled quite a few times this year. This coming off a winless basketball season. I would blame the kids and other teams but, at some point, I may have to look in the mirror.

Comment

Granted, I am an exemplary human being
                            I disag.... I mean I agree!!

Comment

Oh yeah, we are mostly getting smoked. I think we have 1 win and 1 tie where we ran out of time, but we have been mercy ruled quite a few times this year. This coming off a winless basketball season. I would blame the kids and other teams but, at some point, I may have to look in the mirror.
                              Johnny Dickshot blames the kids...always blame the kids.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X