Strategy Question--Trading for Hurt Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy Question--Trading for Hurt Players

I just traded Jordan Lawlar and Brady House for Max Scherzer and Charlie Morton. The other offers he was getting were well below mine but he did not want to wait for Max to come back, so if I did not step up, he may have taken one of those other offers--he is in last place and just frustrated by the season. I pounced, but I am second guessing the strategy. Since Max isn't going to help me any time soon, would it have been better to wait to acquire pitchers later from other dumpers? He really wanted to get something done now, and he had already traded Devers for CJ Abrams, so waiting for him was not an option, but I could have held my prospects for awhile--I didn't get a discount as this is on par with what he would have gotten even if Max were healthy right now. Of course, if he were healthy right now, I expect my competitors would have stepped up their offers and then it becomes a matter of which prospects he prefers.

Generally, I prefer to make such deals as early as possible, but in this case, since Max won't be helping me, maybe I should have waited, even if it meant he traded him elsewhere. So, is a bird in the hand worth getting, even if it is a hurt bird? I doubt anyone else dumps until right about when Max should be back. At that time, I expect more pitching to be out there, but the only big name arm I know for sure will be dumped eventually is Robbie Ray. His owner's team sucks. There may be others, but it is impossible to say right now.

Are salaries and contracts involved here?

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
      Are salaries and contracts involved here?
      The prospects are free until they get to 200 ABs. The pitchers are at cost, so are not keepers given their age. I suppose it is possible that if Max finishes really strong, I could make room to keep him. We keep 15, so maybe. I just figure given this injury, unless he is just silly good the ROS once he gets back, I will just toss him back.

Comment

First blush it feels like an overpay. I think with prospects of that level you want to come away with no qualms about what you're getting back.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
          First blush it feels like an overpay. I think with prospects of that level you want to come away with no qualms about what you're getting back.
          Agree, I'd probably have some degree of buyers remorse.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Agree, I'd probably have some degree of buyers remorse.
            Yeah, I do. Just shopped Max to the Kopech owner. He said the best he could do is Houck for damaged good Max. Ouch. A factor I failed to mention is that we switch to h2h for the playoffs, and I am currently in 1st, so as long as I can maintain that while Max is out, all that really matters is the playoffs to me. As long as Max is right for those, I will have no ragerts.

Comment

Working...
            X