Trading Bregman for Eloy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading Bregman for Eloy

I have been offered Eloy Jimenez $25 for the the next four years for my Bregman $25 for the this year and next and prospect Nick Gonzalez in my deep-for-14 team mixed league (we have 30 man majors, 20 man minors). I am in win now mode, but my team is doing well enough to survive without Bregman. I also have Jose Ramirez, Eugenio Suarez, and Jose Miranda still at 3b. I have long coveted Eloy, and the extra years of him are potentially very valuable--if he can ever get right and healthy. We have high inflation in this league, so the price tags for both players are good, assuming health and production in line with projections.

But my worry is--will he ever get healthy and live up to the hype? If this offer had been made before his recent injury, I'd have done it without hesitation. And I can survive without the bat for the next 6 weeks. So, the only thing that has changed that gives me pause is the fact that he seems to always be getting hurt. So, now I have cold feet. What do you all think of Eloy and the trade offer? Long term, I could use the OFer more than the 3bman and IF healthy, the extra years are easily worth Nick Gonzales. But that seems like a big if at this point.

I'd pass, you are in win now mode, getting cute this early is dangerous.

Comment

Reports came out today that Eloy is progressing faster than expected. But they did not bump up his June timetable.

As a current 20 and done Eloy owner he has been a disappointment. It may be that his soft tissue just can't handle the massive body bulk. I still think I would pay $25 when he goes into the auction next year. That might not be a good decision on my part.

In your situation I probably make the trade. You still get several months of Eloy to help as well as a tryout for your team next year. Also if you find yourself in the hunt with a healthy $25 Eloy it might be time to trade him for a haul to push you over the finish line.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Reports came out today that Eloy is progressing faster than expected. But they did not bump up his June timetable.

As a current 20 and done Eloy owner he has been a disappointment. It may be that his soft tissue just can't handle the massive body bulk. I still think I would pay $25 when he goes into the auction next year. That might not be a good decision on my part.

In your situation I probably make the trade. You still get several months of Eloy to help as well as a tryout for your team next year. Also if you find yourself in the hunt with a healthy $25 Eloy it might be time to trade him for a haul to push you over the finish line.
        Wouldn't you be able to trade Bregman for a similar haul?

I guess I just don't see a massive market for Eloy right now, not one that is significantly more than Bregman.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Wouldn't you be able to trade Bregman for a similar haul?

I guess I just don't see a massive market for Eloy right now, not one that is significantly more than Bregman.
          You would think, but Eloy is loved by a few owners in my league who dream on his potential. An illogical bias in my league exists against acquiring guys with just one more year on their contract in dump deals. If I keep Bregman, I will have to keep Bregman, because all dumpers will prefer a top prospect or a less established player with more years of control (I will be able to get a lot more for my prospects like Lawlar or Volpe than Bregman). I am the opposite. I like picking up established guys with just one more year on their contract, and sometimes can get them just as cheap as one and done guys when trying to win now. That does make Eloy a better trade chip later in the season, assuming he is back and hitting. I have no doubt if/when he is back and hitting I can get more for his four remaining years than I can for Bregman's one. And I like Nick Gonzales, but he has been terrible so far this year (he did start slow last year too, though).
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-11-2022, 11:26 AM.

Comment

If there's a massive market for Eloy, wouldn't your counter party in this trade be targetting that same market?

Or if you are saying your counterparty is a competitor who is all in for 2022, and you're giving him the clearly better asset for 2022 AND giving him a prospect too that he can use to further build?

It just doesn't make sense to me for a win now team.

Comment

If there's a massive market for Eloy, wouldn't your counter party in this trade be targetting that same market?

Or if you are saying your counterparty is a competitor who is all in for 2022, and you're giving him the clearly better asset for 2022 AND giving him a prospect too that he can use to further build?

You make some very good points.

Sour, who's OF spot does Eloy take when he is back?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I have been offered Eloy Jimenez $25 for the the next four years for my Bregman $25 for the this year and next and prospect Nick Gonzalez in my deep-for-14 team mixed league (we have 30 man majors, 20 man minors). I am in win now mode, but my team is doing well enough to survive without Bregman. I also have Jose Ramirez, Eugenio Suarez, and Jose Miranda still at 3b. I have long coveted Eloy, and the extra years of him are potentially very valuable--if he can ever get right and healthy. We have high inflation in this league, so the price tags for both players are good, assuming health and production in line with projections.

But my worry is--will he ever get healthy and live up to the hype? If this offer had been made before his recent injury, I'd have done it without hesitation. And I can survive without the bat for the next 6 weeks. So, the only thing that has changed that gives me pause is the fact that he seems to always be getting hurt. So, now I have cold feet. What do you all think of Eloy and the trade offer? Long term, I could use the OFer more than the 3bman and IF healthy, the extra years are easily worth Nick Gonzales. But that seems like a big if at this point.
                Famous last words. Easy pass.

Comment

Some other teams want him, but none are offering a good major leaguer. I know one other owner offered Kahil Watson and Joc Pederson. But the Eloy guy wants to win this year too, and so he wants to do a deal getting Bregman. If/when he falls out of it and still has Eloy, at that point he will prefer the prospect packages he could get for him instead of one year of Bregman. But right now, no one will give up a guy like Bregman, and to your point, I probably should not either.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Famous last words. Easy pass.
                    Would you do it a month from now when Eloy is close to coming back, or not at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      You make some very good points.

Sour, who's OF spot does Eloy take when he is back?
                      Right now, my OFers are Tucker, Bellinger, Haniger (hurt), and three Mets--McNeil, Nimmo, and Canha. But we use three position specific OFers (and two just generic OFers), so the only LF elg guys I have are the three Mets. So, Eloy would take the place of one of them. But they would get bumped to the generic OF spots and the util spot, so really ELoy is replacing Bregman in my overall line up.

Comment

It looks like he is going in another direction anyway. He has another offer of Jesus Sanchez, Ramon Laureano and Kahil Watson. He is trying to get Seiya instead of Laureano, but that will not happen. Still, he says he looked up Gonzales and doesn't like his K rate, so he pulled his offer. For the best, it seems.

Comment

Would you do it a month from now when Eloy is close to coming back, or not at all?
                          Not at all. At least this season.

Comment

He has another offer of Jesus Sanchez, Ramon Laureano and Kahil Watson.
                            Wow, what a fleecing.

Comment

Wow, what a fleecing.
                              On which side? Jesus has fallen off a cliff, Ramon has not shown anything yet, and Watson is showing some signs of promises but has a k rate over 40% so far. It doesn't seem like a lot for four years of Eloy at a good cost (we have really high inflation in this league).

Comment

Working...
                              X