No announcement yet.

SCOTUS about to overturn Roe v. Wade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In another 14th Amendment related matter (Equal Protection), Governor Abbott of Texas just announced his intention to challenge Pyler v. Doe, a case that requires states to provide free education to children.

Sure, move to a red state. What's the harm?
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      In another 14th Amendment related matter (Equal Protection), Governor Abbott of Texas just announced his intention to challenge Pyler v. Doe, a case that requires states to provide free education to children.

Sure, move to a red state. What's the harm?
      I just talked to Abbott a couple weeks ago in my office believe it or not - we are involved in a charity organization we were trying to get his help on.

I'm not a fan of his politics by any means, but to clarify the issue above, he's focused on the requirement to provide free education to non-citizens, correct.

Comment

It really seems that the Right/GOP wants to eliminate and federal oversight at all yet reserve the right to dictate the outcome of Federal Elections.

When I said they want to go back to the 50s, I meant the 1850s
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Another Christo-fascist state, Louisiana, has advanced a bill out of committee that would make abortion "from the moment of conception" a crime, with the mother being charged with homicide. So they're also going after contraception, another implied right of privacy under the 14th Amendment.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

So I guess miscarriages will warrant criminal investigations.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I just talked to Abbott a couple weeks ago in my office believe it or not - we are involved in a charity organization we were trying to get his help on.

I'm not a fan of his politics by any means, but to clarify the issue above, he's focused on the requirement to provide free education to non-citizens, correct.
              You are just confirming what we should already know - that in addition to being a racist piece of shit, he doesn't understand the plain language of the 14th Amendment.

The 14th Amendment provides equal protection to any person living within a state's jurisdiction. I guess that's part of the issue - these monsters don't consider undocumented immigrants to be people.

Comment

If Roe is overturned and these red states go back to the 1850s, I wonder what the exodus to northern, modern-day states would look like.

Also, what will the corporate response be? If Florida's LGBTQ bill drew Disney's ire, how can dystopian laws victimizing women not draw any S&P500 company's ire? The internal backlash at some large companies, if they are HQ'd or have large projects in these backwards states, will be severe. Especially those with female CEOs. Backwards red state governors, don't say revo didn't tell you so.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  If Roe is overturned and these red states go back to the 1850s, I wonder what the exodus to northern, modern-day states would look like.

Also, what will the corporate response be? If Florida's LGBTQ bill drew Disney's ire, how can dystopian laws victimizing women not draw any S&P500 company's ire? The internal backlash at some large companies, if they are HQ'd or have large projects in these backwards states, will be severe. Especially those with female CEOs. Backwards red state governors, don't say revo didn't tell you so.
                  Levi Strauss already announced they would pay for employees who have to leave the handmaiden states in order to get an abortion services elsewhere. Right wing fundamentalists are already hinting that they will try to criminalize even those who travel to other states.

Comment

I guess that's part of the issue - these monsters don't consider undocumented immigrants to be people.
                    I think your arguments are better off without the straw men. Villainizing your political enemy is not useful - see QAnon's child molester rhetoric.

They see them as people, but they don't agree that illegal immigrants are afforded the same rights as citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      I think your arguments are better off without the straw men. Villainizing your political enemy is not useful - see QAnon's child molester rhetoric.

They see them as people, but they don't agree that illegal immigrants are afforded the same rights as citizens.
                      I don't care what you think. Their actions speak louder than your words.

Comment

I don't care what you think. Their actions speak louder than your words.
                        LOL.

When you start getting emotional about it like this your argument is less valid.

You can care, or not care, but when you make a bad argument by using these fallacies... it's a bad argument and defeats the purpose of what you are doing.

Again, you can choose to make bad arguments, but ... why? It certainly does not help the cause. And if you can't have rational discussions because your emotions get in the way, just avoid talking about it, because your actions are counterproductive.

(And it makes you sound exactly like your enemy - "I don't care if they aren't child molesters, libs = bad because I say so")

Comment

Levi Strauss already announced they would pay for employees who have to leave the handmaiden states in order to get an abortion services elsewhere. Right wing fundamentalists are already hinting that they will try to criminalize even those who travel to other states.
                          So has Amazon. But doing only that is not going to fly with senior female execs. These states need to be punished, and if the federal government can't or won't do it, then it's up to the people who employ their constituents.

Comment

Tiny annoyances aside, we should all not forget that scumbag, racist, monster, piece of shit, worthless sack of human flesh Governor Abbott also put a ten thousand dollar bounty on those offering abortion services and even anyone who “aids or abets the performance or inducement of an abortion”. Truly a dystopian nightmare. Fuck Texas.

Comment

The health director of Missouri has testified that he retained a spreadsheet tracking the menstrual cycles of women seen at Planned Parenthood in order to track failed abortions, in what non-monsters view as a shocking governmental overreach. As I mentioned, miscarriages will be investigated criminally once the right wing fundamentalists get their way.

Comment

Remember that paragon of virtue and Christian ethics Donald Trump told a rally that abortion doctors are already executing infants after birth: “They wrap the baby beautifully, and then the doctor and the mother determine whether or not they will execute the baby,” he said at a rally in April.

Comment

Working...
                                X