Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I saw it when I was 10. That scene where he gets his limbs shot off staid with me for a looong time. It was a good movie, but that one scene especially was not one I should have seen. My uncle used to make me watch lots of stuff I shouldn't have seen. I watched Evil Dead when I was 7 or 8. Now, it seems like a cheese fest. Back then, I had nightmares for weeks about trees raping people.

I try to be much more careful with my boys now, though I admit to letting them watch stuff because of peer pressure. I told my 7.5 year old he was too young for Harry Potter movies 3-7, but thought I could just let him watch the first two this year. He begged me for two months to see the third, saying his friends in 2nd grade had seen them all. I caved. He watched the whole series. Like you say, a lot of these are paced to let the audience grow with them. When those movies first came out, they came out one every year or so. Now, they are all available and it was dumb of me to think I could let him watch two and have him wait a year for the third when all his friends had suddenly got into the series.
    Ah, I can see how that would be annoying when the entire series is already out. Tough to hold the line. My daughter was so easy, as she would restrict herself from anything objectionable. Having a boy (in the next few days!), I anticipate these limits will be tougher to stick to.

Another I neglected to mention is Avatar: The Last Airbender, ages up over 3 seasons. Loved that show and the follow-up The Legend of Korra. Great messaging for kids in both.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      I feel like tween shows do this regularly, allowing the kids who watch to grow and mature with the show.

Straight Off The Boat, The Wonder Years, Freaks and Geeks, they all kinda follow that formula, from my recollection anyway. I love having genre starter kits for my kids. Wouldn't want to throw them in the deep end without a life jacket by thinking Robocop was suitable for an 8 year old. (I forgive my dad for that one, as it rules)
      I have not heard of this or noticed it.

Didn't watch the shows you mentioned except The Wonder Years. I just thought that was the natural progression of the characters growing up. Stranger Things seems to follow this formula. Although before reading you post I would have chalked it up to the need to one up themselves with each passing season. I will pay attention with other series with multiple seasons.

Watched 2 more Stranger Things... wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        Ah, I can see how that would be annoying when the entire series is already out. Tough to hold the line. My daughter was so easy, as she would restrict herself from anything objectionable. Having a boy (in the next few days!), I anticipate these limits will be tougher to stick to.

Another I neglected to mention is Avatar: The Last Airbender, ages up over 3 seasons. Loved that show and the follow-up The Legend of Korra. Great messaging for kids in both.
        I loved TLA, and could not wait to share it. My 7 year old loved it too, even though I doubt he could fully appreciate it all. It is a fantastic series. Iroh was an all-time great character, played wonderfully by the legendary Mako until his death and filled in remarkably well by Greg Baldwin after, who did an amazing Mako impersonation. He did the same fill-in for Make in Samurai Jack, Season 5.

This is not really a fit for this thread, but Greg Baldwin's performance in both of those roles, and Phil LaMarr's amazing job voicing Jack makes the issue of who gets to voice what roles complicated for me. On the one hand, I absolutely love that after so long, many shows are now embracing how much amazing talent there is out there that can voice and represent their own ethnicities. A show like Kipo shows just how much truly top tier talent is out there, if given a chance, and there is something important and special about getting that right. On the other hand, I can't get mad at anyone who does a great job with voice acting, regardless of who they are. I don't want a white actor doing a voice that makes fun of another ethnicity, but in the case of replacing Mako, it made perfect sense to go with Greg Baldwin, as his Mako impression is spot on, and while Phil LaMarr is not Japanese (he is black, and was great on Mad TV), his Samurai Jack was just perfect. I know that is something of a third rail in acting and voice acting these days, and it is an important shift. Still, loved these two in those roles (thought no one could really replace Mako).

Comment

• The new Kenobi episode was amazing. I could watch this kind of thing all day.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• “The Offer” on Paramount Plus is amazing. About the making of the Godfather movies.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              “The Offer” on Paramount Plus is amazing. About the making of the Godfather movies.
              Yes it is!

I think Gwyn recommended it first.

Must see TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Yes it is!

I think Gwyn recommended it first.

Must see TV.
                It's unfortunate that it might be the only thing worth watching on Paramount Plus though.

Comment

• Watched the first 3 episodes of The Old Man. Really good stuff. Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow in great form. Episode 4 comes out on the 30th. Must see TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                    I'm a bad junkie and haven't checked in much lately but binging shows has been an important part of getting through the pandemic and I even kept a list of all the shows so here's what I think of all of them:

Brooklyn 99 - 10
                    Dead to Me - 8
                    Ted Lasso - 9
                    The Morning Show - 6
                    Detroiters - 9
                    The Leftovers - 8
                    Ramy - 8
                    Pen15 - 9
                    Shrill - 7
                    Flight Attendant - 8
                    The Great - 8
                    Search Party - 9
                    Letterkenny - 10
                    Brockmire - 9
                    Dave - 9
                    The Last Kingdom - 9
                    Friday Night Lights - 10
                    Justified - 8
                    Hacks - 9
                    Rutherford Falls - 8
                    Cobra Kai - 9
                    Mythic Quest - 9
                    Only Murders in the Building - 9
                    Reservation Dogs - 9
                    Ash vs Evil Dead - 7
                    Midnight Mass - 8
                    Killing Eve - 8
                    Billions - 9
                    Finally got into Letterkenny. Loving it. Curious what our Canadian posters think of it. I watched an interview with the main dude and his accent is just as pronounced as on the show. I never realized just how much Irish influence there was on accents from Ottawa and Newfoundland. He was a hockey guy coming up though, so he identifies with them more IRL than the hicks. His voice is deeper too, but the accent is largely the same. Love the contrast between the lowbrow antics and the rapid fire, complex dialogue filled with idioms and clever turns of phrases. I have to turn on subtitles sometimes just to catch it all. Love the quirkiness of the characters too. Half way through season 2, it has me tempted to upgrade Hulu to no commercials just so I can get through it faster.

Comment

• The Boys, season 3, is in all-time great territory

Comment

• 1883 is blowing me away. Ive never seen Yellowstone. That's gotta be next, eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          1883 is blowing me away. Ive never seen Yellowstone. That's gotta be next, eh?
                          Definitely

Comment

• Someone mentioned Doc Martin sometime back. I forgot about it. I came across it last night looking for something interesting. When I saw the title we decided to give it a try.

We watched 3 episodes and enjoyed them. It is bit quirky in a good way. Humorous without being hilarious. Scenery is spectacular. Great dialog. So far so good.

Comment

• Black Bird on Apple TV is really well done, and creepy AF. Not as good as Mindhunter, but same sort of vibe.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Just finished the show finale of Better Call Saul

Excellent wrap up.
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X