Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
    Frankly, I did not enjoy the last 1/2 season of Ozark. Meh. Got real tired of Ruth by the end.
    Really? She seemed like the only redeeming story line of the group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
      Frankly, I did not enjoy the last 1/2 season of Ozark. Meh. Got real tired of Ruth by the end.
      Agreed, it was not very good.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        I still have 5 eps of Ozark left, but this scene from ep 8 was so ridiculous, it really took me out of the show.

I think the producers got a note saying they needed diversity, but they didn't want to introduce Black villains, so instead they introduce the idea that Ruth is a huge hip-hop fan and meets Killer Mike in a bar. So corny.

I would have loved to see the alternate cut where Ruth was like "hey, Killer Mike. I like all of your activism in favour of the 2nd ammendment! I love me some guns!"
        I honestly had no idea who that was, but agree that this scene was corny, like when in the 1960s Batman series, some cheesy celeb would open a window as they were scaling a buidling.

Comment

• Kids In The Hall has come back with a new season on Amazon, the first in almost 30 years. The previous KITH reunion shows weren't very positively received, and didn't follow the same sketch format.

New show seems pretty good. Lots of jokes for the modern era, tackling 'cancel culture' and other current topics. Lots of beloved characters returning as well (the secretaries, "Gavin", headcrusher, etc). I've enjoyed the first few episodes.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Interesting, I gave up on it after 5 minutes. I’ll try again.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              Interesting, I gave up on it after 5 minutes. I’ll try again.
              The first episode, the scene with the cops had me laughing my ass off. It's a running joke about how stupid these 2 cops are, so you can bet it hits my sweet spot. This sketch surprised me. I won't spoil it, but I found it hilarious, and my wife was dying laughing at the bit.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Moon knight - Oscar Isaac is excellent. First several episodes are great. Talking hippo jumps the shark. Still liked it, and obviously this is content straight from the comics, but... it didn't live up to the initial potential which was immense.

Comment

• Finally finished Ozark and I'm glad to be done. That show felt really stressful to me, for whatever reason. The constant tension is just not buttressed enough with lighthearted stuff, I guess. I enjoyed the final stretch at least as much as the rest of the show, probably more. I was hoping for some massive redemption arc but that would have been out of character.

Catching up now on Better Call Saul - still one of the best shows of all time, imo.

My son is also determined to get me into anime. I really try, but that genre is so annoying. Have been watching Hunter X Hunter. It's ok, I guess.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                    Finally finished Ozark and I'm glad to be done. That show felt really stressful to me, for whatever reason. The constant tension is just not buttressed enough with lighthearted stuff, I guess. I enjoyed the final stretch at least as much as the rest of the show, probably more. I was hoping for some massive redemption arc but that would have been out of character.

Catching up now on Better Call Saul - still one of the best shows of all time, imo.

My son is also determined to get me into anime. I really try, but that genre is so annoying. Have been watching Hunter X Hunter. It's ok, I guess.
                    I'm on the same path a few steps behind you. Finishing Ozark on the way to a Better Call Saul catch-up.

Anime TV isn't a major interest for me, but I can recommend a few good ones.

Paranoia Agent is a limited series, I think 12 episodes. It's incredible. Full episodes are all on YouTube. I love the mix of genres, Sci fi and mystery, with a lot of weirdness. I imagine it as somewhat David Lynch-ian.

Comment

Finally finished Ozark and I'm glad to be done. That show felt really stressful to me, for whatever reason. The constant tension is just not buttressed enough with lighthearted stuff, I guess. I enjoyed the final stretch at least as much as the rest of the show, probably more. I was hoping for some massive redemption arc but that would have been out of character.

I enjoyed Hunter x Hunter. It is too violent for my young boys, though. I am have floored by the quality of couple of Netflix animated series. They are not anime, but Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts was amazing positive and uplifting while also being surprisingly emotionally complex about loss and the horrors that humans have wrought on the world. The Dragon Prince was another really great series that I think would appeal to your son, as they deal with similar themes that a lot of anime deals with. Both have biracial heroes, which I really enjoyed sharing with my 7 year old. He loved them.

On the actual anime front, you may like a more realistic sports anime. An old school one I recently discovered and watched is a boxing anime called Hajime no Ippo. I wouldn't call it great, but it avoid a lot of what I suspect annoys you about anime, so it might be something you could tolerate watching with your son. It is grounded and not over-the-top. I'm not a boxing fan, but I still enjoyed it. I imagine a boxing fan would like it more.

Comment

Just saw the half season finale last night...wow.
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Stranger Things was pretty intense. It was so long since I saw the last episodes that it was kinda hard to remember. But didn't really matter too much. Looking forward to the next episodes
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            Stranger Things was pretty intense. It was so long since I saw the last episodes that it was kinda hard to remember. But didn't really matter too much. Looking forward to the next episodes
                            Yes, this season has been awesome.

Comment

• Obi Wan Kenobi has been quite good so far, including a pretty unexpected (at least to me) battle. I'm in hog heaven with all these awesome Star Wars and Marvel shows and movies. Keep 'em coming! Super fun.
                              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I started watching the first episode of The Wheel of Time and immediately got sucked into the "uh, this isn't how the books go" silliness. The show seems like it has some promise but I might have ruined my watching experience by reading that interminable series. Plus, none of the characters look at all like I pictured them in my mind, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X