No announcement yet.

Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching new Dexter - not bad. Not top tier Dexter either, but certainly watchable.

Recently:

Succession is spectacular
    The Queens Gambit was very good
    The Expanse has been a struggle. They made a huge mistake writing out Thomas Jane after Season 2 - he was the best thing about the series. They should have changed the story-line from the books to keep him as the star.
    The Silent Sea was not bad - overrated, as recent Korean stuff seems to be, but pretty good.
    Season 2 of Altered Carbon was mediocre- which is a shame because Season 1 was exceptional. Like The Expanse, they followed the books too rigidly and failed to adapt to what made the TV series work.
    Narcos continues to be top class.

Have to catch up with Ozark. Only up to season 2 (I think), and the Handmaids Tale.

Comment

• NEW JUSTIFIED LIMITED SERIES AT FX WILL BE BASED ON THE LATE ELMORE LEONARD’S CRIME NOVEL CITY PRIMEVAL: HIGH NOON IN DETROIT

The story for City Primeval as per FX’s description: “Having left the hollers of Kentucky eight years ago, Raylan Givens now lives in Miami, a walking anachronism balancing his life as a U.S. Marshal and part-time father of a 14-year-old girl. His hair is grayer, his hat is dirtier, and the road in front of him is suddenly a lot shorter than the road behind.

“A chance encounter on a desolate Florida highway sends him to Detroit. There he crosses paths with Clement Mansell, aka The Oklahoma Wildman, a violent, sociopathic desperado who’s already slipped through the fingers of Detroit’s finest once and aims to do so again. Mansell’s lawyer, formidable Motor City native Carolyn Wilder, has every intention of representing her client, even as she finds herself caught in between cop and criminal, with her own game afoot as well. These three characters set out on a collision course in classic Elmore Leonard fashion, to see who makes it out of the City Primeval alive.”
      Reboot mania continues, starting with FX's announcement for the "Justified" follow-up, experience the joy of the "Peacemaker" opening credits, Mark Ruffalo takes a new series role, and more top TV and streaming news.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        The Expanse has been a struggle. They made a huge mistake writing out Thomas Jane after Season 2 - he was the best thing about the series. They should have changed the story-line from the books to keep him as the star.
        I've been enjoying it. It's wandered a bit, but Amos is absolutely the best part of the show. Digging Drummer this season.
        I haven't watched the final episode yet. Kind of bummed it's coming to a close.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          I've been enjoying it. It's wandered a bit, but Amos is absolutely the best part of the show. Digging Drummer this season.
          I haven't watched the final episode yet. Kind of bummed it's coming to a close.
          I was reading the books, and had to stop because the dialogue was so bad. The TV show fixed all that with the casting and scripting - terrific cast. Just a shame they sidelined Thomas Jane.

I'm only starting on Season 5.

Comment

• Also for any sci-fi fans, Noah Hawley, the showrunner for Fargo is taking charge of an Alien franchise TV series. Given how good Fargo is, this is exciting!

Yet to watch the original final season of Justified ... guess I better get on it.

Comment

Watching new Dexter - not bad. Not top tier Dexter either, but certainly watchable.

Recently:

Succession is spectacular
              The Queens Gambit was very good
              The Silent Sea was not bad - overrated, as recent Korean stuff seems to be, but pretty good.
              Season 2 of Altered Carbon was mediocre- which is a shame because Season 1 was exceptional. Like The Expanse, they followed the books too rigidly and failed to adapt to what made the TV series work.
              Narcos continues to be top class.

Have to catch up with Ozark. Only up to season 2 (I think), and the Handmaids Tale.
              Ozark is very entertaining. Definitely recommended but not family friendly, obviously.

I have really wanted to watch The Expanse, as I really love the books (local authors, too, which is cool) but I heard the show is hit and miss but that it got better when it got picked up by, uh, Amazon or Netflix or something. Sounds like you're saying the opposite, though?

Is there more than one Altered Carbon book? I read the book and liked it fairly well.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                Ozark is very entertaining. Definitely recommended but not family friendly, obviously.

I have really wanted to watch The Expanse, as I really love the books (local authors, too, which is cool) but I heard the show is hit and miss but that it got better when it got picked up by, uh, Amazon or Netflix or something. Sounds like you're saying the opposite, though?

Is there more than one Altered Carbon book? I read the book and liked it fairly well.
                Not sure on the books, I think I read they were combining features of multiple books / sources, so maybe.

The 2 seasons of Altered Carbon are stand alone, so you can watch season 1 as a one off. It's really good. Not sure how you'll feel after reading the books, but I thought it was terrific. It's clear they spent a lot of money on it!

As for The Expanse. Absolutely loved the first 2 seasons - In fact I think better than the books, and brilliantly cast. Seasons 3 and 4 (where I'm at) are still decent, and worth it.

Comment

• Has anyone seen Foundation?

Comment

Has anyone seen Foundation?
                    Yes, it's nothing at all like the books. Like they took the name and created something else. Overall pretty mediocre. As someone who loved the books, this was a huge disappointment.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                      Yes, it's nothing at all like the books. Like they took the name and created something else. Overall pretty mediocre. As someone who loved the books, this was a huge disappointment.
                      I also read the first one of these books and it was pretty amazing, honestly. Guess I'll take a pass on the show.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I read somewhere that by episode 2/3 they are pretty much on par with the books

Comment

• Altered Carbon, both the book and season 1, were great. Couldn't get through 1st episode of season 2.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Just finished Hunters on Amazon Prime after almost 2 years, lol. It's really pretty good, and I didn't see the twist coming. About a team of Nazi Hunters in NYC in 1977, starring Al Pacino.

If dry humor is your thing, especially with a NYC bent, How to with John Wilson on HBO is for you. I watched the first episode to see what it was about, and I was hooked. If you watch it, I bet the first thing you'll think is "Dafuq is this??" But it grows on you. He starts off with a topic and kind of goes off on bizarre tangents from there.

Comment

• Has anyone watched The Wheel of Time? I finished the books and while they were a definite slog in the middle, I really liked them overall.

Comment

• Our family has also been watching a couple shows together:

Cobra Kai - fucking awesome. I'm squarely in their "hey, remember all this stuff about the 80s?" demographic, so it's perfect. Probably inappropriate for my kid. “Light beer. Veggie burgers. Automatic transmission. Might as well let another dude bang your chick." LMAO
                                Lost in Space - moderately entertaining. However, I just can't ever seem to get too investted into any of these characters. While I don't actively want them to die off, I just don't care that much. I've been watching for too long to not really know wtf is going on which is likely due to my apathetic approach.
                                Agents of SHIELD - I love it, my family is kind of "meh". Just finished season 2. Apparently this Marvel stuff is pretty easy for me to geek out on. Just like Star Wars and pizza, even the bad stuff is still pretty damn good.

Comment

Working...
                                X