The Ethics of Force Feeding Lifers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ethics of Force Feeding Lifers

This guy brutally murdered a cop 20 years ago and is on a hunger strike trying to get to another prison. The prison superintendent has filed a petition to force feed him to keep him alive. He is never getting out of prison, nor should he. My take is that if a lifer wants to starve himself to death, as long as food and water are always being provided to him if he wants it, that should be allowed. I do not see the point of forcing someone to eat and drink to keep them alive in a place they do not want to be at tax payer expense. What do others think?

https://wnbf.com/broome-sheriffs-dep...hunger-strike/

Agreed, let him starve himself.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

You don't really have to ask...do ya.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Typically, our laws allow for force feeding in cases like this, so that is why I asked. Is it one of those things very few actually agree with, but we still do? Laws like that perplex me. I am sure some agreeing with force feeding him, but I'm not sure anyone on this forum will.

Comment

This is a constitutional and ethical issue, not one of retribution. The person’s crime is irrelevant.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            This is a constitutional and ethical issue, not one of retribution. The person’s crime is irrelevant.
            Even if his crime was less horrendous, I'd feel the same way. But I also think euthanasia should be legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Even if his crime was less horrendous, I'd feel the same way. But I also think euthanasia should be legal.
              Yeah, I am not on board with forced feeding at all. I am not sure how it’s permitted in this country, to be honest.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Not a documentary but great flick, Escape From New York, the intake paths, where you can choose to proceed to the no way out "prison" or check out via lethal injection should be a real thing. People who want to check out, and you are going to keep them alive against their will, be it terminal cancer patients, or lifers in the system, need to be allowed the exit ramp. Not just because there is a staggering cost to house a lifer criminal, but someone who wants to die, will cause mayhem at every little opening they get, whether it is biting, kicking, raging any way they can.

Comment

Working...
                X