No announcement yet.

early trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too easy to give up in the first week of the season. I'm obviously on an island here, but after 20 years of banging my head against the wall I would want to give it a shot. Trade Varsho for a solid pitcher, he should fetch a good guy.

Do whatever you can to beef up the pitching staff and if it's not working then dump later on when contenders are desperate for help. You don't need to dump in the first week of the season.

Comment

I understand Harmon’s point about bailing too early. That said, I think Revo is spot on about how to pursue a rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
        I understand Harmon’s point about bailing too early. That said, I think Revo is spot on about how to pursue a rebuild.
        The point isnt that he needs to sell everything this week or next....it is that he should not be giving up assets that could help a future team be successful in an attempt to win with this squad. Nothing about that roster makes me think this is a team that will win this year. A realistic team assessment is always a starting point for good decisions
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          The point isnt that he needs to sell everything this week or next....it is that he should not be giving up assets that could help a future team be successful in an attempt to win with this squad. Nothing about that roster makes me think this is a team that will win this year. A realistic team assessment is always a starting point for good decisions
          Right. He can play out a few weeks or a couple of months, but he shouldn’t be trading future assets like Manoah away when he probably doesn’t have the horses, on pitching moreso than hitting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            Do you think your team is good enough to win this year ? If not, you don't need to worry about finding offense, you need to trade high priced assets for players that will help next year.
            I thought I had a solid squad, even after missing the last half of the auction. Yet I'm already in the bottom 4.

Originally posted by revo View Post
            If you dig a little deeper it's understandable -- Corbin $10, Archer $10, Irvin $19(?!?), Houser $10, Treinen $22 (must have drafted early), Paxton $10 totaling $81 of wasted $$$. Assuming these were all auction buys, that's almost 1/3rd down the tubes.

Plus, I don't love when you use players at their secondary positions and then use sub-optimal players at their primary positions, i.e. Varsho & Merrifield in the OF. Sal Perez is awesome of course, but Miguel Rojas is marginal at MI.

Corbin needs to go ASAP, he's toast. Archer probably as well.
            Corbin, Irvin and Paxton were reserve picks. Archer was a FA pickup. Treinen I bought at auction the week before the Dodgers added Kimbrel.

Avasail Garcia $3 and Gary Sanchez $1 for Perez and Suarez - thoughts?

If I need pitching why am I trading Wainwright for Baty? Wouldn't Baty be blocked by Witt and/or Anderson?

Comment

Originally posted by DJRadar View Post
              I thought I had a solid squad, even after missing the last half of the auction. Yet I'm already in the bottom 4.

Corbin, Irvin and Paxton were reserve picks. Archer was a FA pickup. Treinen I bought at auction the week before the Dodgers added Kimbrel.

If I need pitching why am I trading Wainwright for Baty? Wouldn't Baty be blocked by Witt and/or Anderson?
              How many top 50 or top 100 players are on your team? That should provide at least some insight to your teams chances. Or better yet use a calculator like the one in fangraphs and see how your team stacks up to others in your league.

Sanchez is not worth much to you for the future....so again you need to decide if u can compete this year. I would move Perez for Garcia and something besides Sanchez.

Well Baty is still in minors I think, you would not be trading for him to help your team this year. I really, really think you need to take a multi-year perspective in this league or you will never compete.
              Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 04-15-2022, 08:12 PM.
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Nooo, why would you trade a great trade chip in Sal Perez for two guys who won’t help you in the future?

Wainwright’s 41 years old. Getting an elite prospect in Baty for him is a coup.

I’m not sure I understand— why would Anderson block Baty? There’s no chance Baty is coming up this year, except maybe for a September cup of coffee. You need to rebuild, your pitching in a 16teamer is just not going to cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Yup. Like the OP said, he's a bottom feeder every year and he always posts these ridiculous offers that he has no business doing. Time for a tear down.

Roadmap
                  Hitting
                  - Trade Sal Perez while his value is still through the roof
                  - As you have Rutschman (and Zunino(?)), trade Varsho too
                  - Hoskins is below par in an AVG league - trade him
                  - I don't like to trade Merrifield, but to quote Branch Rickey, you can finish last with him or you can finish last without him
                  - Trade Trout before he breaks down completely
                  - Luisangel Acuna has no business on your ML squad with just 64 MLers rostered

- Build your hitting around Witt, India, Mondesi, Rutschman, Brujan

Pitching
                  - keep Manoah, Greene, Montgomery, Bobby Miller
                  - trade everyone else for prospects
                  - wait on Syndergaard, if he bounces back keep him, if he stays middling, trade him too
                  - dump Corbin & Treinen and spec on some waiver wire prospects

You can keep 6 major leaguers -- India, Greene, Witt, Mondesi + 2 others, or even dump Mondesi and keep 3. Do what it takes to land Julio Rodriguez, Torkelson, Abrams, Oneil Cruz, Baz, etc., or try for young budding superstars like Chisholm, Kelenic, etc. Shit, just trade everyone for Wander Franco!
                  The problem is the teams with the top guys are all relying on them to compete this year. I'm not getting J-Rod, Tork, CJ, or Baz. Franco I know is out of reach because I have tried for him since last year's auction.

I traded Wainwright and Zunino for Baty and added Daniel Espino with the open roster spot. I've been offered Sale $27 for Salvy, but I'm trying to hold out for Verlander $8/1st year or Musgrove $14/2nd year. Or I've offered a different team Gilbert $4/1st year and Greene $1 or Melendez $3 for Salvy.

Thoughts from the RJ crowd? And what should I be looking for in a trade for Hoskins and/or Trout?

Comment

The problem is the teams with the top guys are all relying on them to compete this year. I'm not getting J-Rod, Tork, CJ, or Baz. Franco I know is out of reach because I have tried for him since last year's auction.

I traded Wainwright and Zunino for Baty and added Daniel Espino with the open roster spot. I've been offered Sale $27 for Salvy, but I'm trying to hold out for Verlander $8/1st year or Musgrove $14/2nd year. Or I've offered a different team Gilbert $4/1st year and Greene $1 or Melendez $3 for Salvy.

Thoughts from the RJ crowd? And what should I be looking for in a trade for Hoskins and/or Trout?
                    nice trade to get Baty. Sale isn't particularly attractive as a keeper at that price. Verlander and Musgrove are much cheaper and probably as good or better. I'd throw in something to get one of those guys. Gilbert and Greene would also be a nice deal.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Since I'm clearly building for 2023. which is better for the open roster spot - someone like SP Taj Bradley or OF Michael Harris who are long-term, or someone like OF Mercado who can help me this year? If I look for this year, where should I look at upgrading? Or long-term, Bradley or Harris - which one should I add?

Plus I've been offered 2 trades:

SP Sale $27 for Perez
                      C Melendez $1 and SS Lewis $3 for Perez and Suarez

Are either of them acceptable?

Comment

Working...
                      X