Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects ("Pre-Season" Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What made Miguel Vargas drop? He has been getting a lot of helium lately.

Comment

rhd, you seem much lower on MJ Melendez than most. Any insights there? I know he’s a catcher and is behind Sal
      Perez. But he did lead the minors in HR and could easily be a DH / give Perez some rest. Just surprised.

On the flip side, another owner in our league expressed concern about Brennen Davis’s “contact issues in AA” (I have Davis) but you rank him very high. High but consistent with most experts.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
        What made Miguel Vargas drop? He has been getting a lot of helium lately.
        Thanx for the response, fuhrdog.

Vargas was just pushed down by others that I moved ahead of him. He seems to be a somewhat divisive prospect, as FG and ESPN left him completely off their lists.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
          rhd, you seem much lower on MJ Melendez than most. Any insights there? I know he’s a catcher and is behind Sal
          Perez. But he did lead the minors in HR and could easily be a DH / give Perez some rest. Just surprised.

On the flip side, another owner in our league expressed concern about Brennen Davis’s “contact issues in AA” (I have Davis) but you rank him very high. High but consistent with most experts.
          Thanx as always for the response, Sharky.

Yeah, I typically knock down catcher prospects quite a bit, as they seldom seem to be very productive in roto. I'll rank elite catcher prospects higher if their offensive profile looks very good. Melendez had an outstanding season but it was a dramatic turnaround from what he did before as a pro. After I see a longer track record from him, I'm sure he'll move up.

BA's report on Davis didnt mention anything about contact issues. It said that he does expand the strike zone some on off-speed pitches but that he is a patient hitter and projects to be at least an average hitter if he remains so.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
            BA's report on Davis didnt mention anything about contact issues. It said that he does expand the strike zone some on off-speed pitches but that he is a patient hitter and projects to be at least an average hitter if he remains so.
            Prior to being promoted to AA, Davis had a K% around 18% - at AA it jumped to 31%, 97 Ks in 76 games. I'm sure that was the concern they were referring to.

In his short 15 game stint at AAA, the K rate came back down to 22% and his walk rate was up to 16%. If he can stay in that range he's going to be fine.

Comment

Thanks Ken

Comment

Thanks Ken
                your light Caesar is great
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                ---------------------------------------------
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Thanks Ken
                  Don't thank me yet, his K% is up to 35% this year!

Well it's a tiny sample and his BB% is up to 27% too.

K's need to come down either way though.

Comment

Sal Frelick or Brice Turang?

Comment

Sal Frelick or Brice Turang?
                      Frelick

Comment

Thanks Ken. That’s where I’m headed. Hope he moves fast. Need some reinforcements. And OF is less deep than it used to be I think.

Comment

RHD,

Why the drop on Acuna?

Comment

Originally posted by DJRadar View Post
                            RHD,

Why the drop on Acuna?
                            Thanx for the response, DJRadar.

Acuna is just not getting much top prospect love from the industry. He did not make it onto a single Top 100 list from any of the major prospect sites that I have access to. I had expected that he would be more highly regarded so I dropped him down. He's on my list because of his apparent SB potential and his otherwise very solid stats. BA's report indicates he has average power and only somewhat above average speed. It says he is an excellent SS, so he could project to be a MLB regular. It says he is an aggressive hitter and his BB/K totals would appear to reflect that, so it remains to be seen how that will affect his performance once he gets to higher levels of the minors.

Comment

What can you tell me about Brett Baty 3B NYM?

Comment

Originally posted by whalewang View Post
                                What can you tell me about Brett Baty 3B NYM?
                                Thanx for the response, whalewang.

Baty's stats are solid but not eye-popping. But he is rated highly by the industry so my ranking somewhat reflects that. BA's report says he has incredible raw power and has a good chance for at least plus game power. It indicates that he projects as an MLB regular and possibly an impact player. After re-reading this report, I think I might have him a bit too high. He does figure to debut in MLB soon, maybe later this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X