• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Who's on first...
    I refuse to acknowledge this isn't baseball related in some way

Comment

So it was that ONE incident that made you consider him a clown. One choice in a lifetime of choices.

The guy made a bad choice. He was obviously confused/conflicted on how to respond afterward as was evident in his all over the place rambling speech afterward. There's history and context you're either ignoring or believe to be irrelevant. there were many others at the show who showed support for Smith after the incident, possibly further muddling his wording during his speech.

No one knows if he felt emasculated, if he was responding to Jada's reaction or ANY of his motivation for the outburst. We can assume, quote pundits, but only Smith knows why he did what he did, even then he might be unclear in the aftermath.

Rock has chosen not to press charges--Smith has nothing to do with that choice--Why would he choose not to?

The producers/directors of the Oscars chose not to remove him from the show--again not a choice made by Smith. Why didn't they?

I guess I'm just surprised by the level of your outrage at Smith over one incident.

Have you never made a bad choice in your life? Been an embarrassment in public?

I certainly have and as such choose not to vilify others for doing what I have done.

Could Will Smith have handled it better? As Gregg mentioned--. But is it wrong to defend someone you care about even in a physically violent manner? As Gregg also said--

Same goes for Mrs. GITH, though seeing as I'm already crazy--I'd just call it--Business as usual.
      Will Smith didn't handle it well. Although slapping someone isn't likely to result in serious injury, resorting to physicality/violence is just not acceptable. At all. He should have been removed from the premises. How many other people would have been given the opportunity to stay? I saw his speech before I knew what had happened, and I was a bit amazed at the self importance and righteousness he projected.

That said, it wasn't the worst thing anyone has ever done. He should apologize, note that violence is never acceptable, and we should all move on. Portraying what he did as "protecting" someone is just an excuse for his lack of self control and poor behavior
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        I refuse to acknowledge this isn't baseball related in some way
        A Dressing down from Ken, I feel this belongs in another thread...
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

A Dressing down from Ken, I feel this belongs in another thread...
          You'll be here all week, try the lite caesar

Comment

glad to know it's not out of stock somewhere...
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              Will Smith didn't handle it well. Although slapping someone isn't likely to result in serious injury, resorting to physicality/violence is just not acceptable. At all. He should have been removed from the premises. How many other people would have been given the opportunity to stay? I saw his speech before I knew what had happened, and I was a bit amazed at the self importance and righteousness he projected.

That said, it wasn't the worst thing anyone has ever done. He should apologize, note that violence is never acceptable, and we should all move on. Portraying what he did as "protecting" someone is just an excuse for his lack of self control and poor behavior
              Well, you know I disagree with your take that violence is NEVER acceptable. I absolutely believe is can be acceptable even necessary in certain situations.

I wish I had the self control some people in here are projecting. I can't say i wouldn't do the same to someone who embarrassed/insulted my wife in public.

I'm sure Smith will eventually apologize to Rock--though probably not in public. I'd think Rock will apologize to Jada as well. In any case--he won't be making a joke at her expense again.

BTW it's not that I don't understand your position--I just don't agree with it.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Fat Shaming?

It is true I'm now twice the man I used to be....

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Fat Shaming?

It is true I'm now twice the man I used to be....
                  Don't ask me, I'm just repeating the meme

Comment

Don't ask me, I'm just repeating the meme
                    I've heard that before.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Well, you know I disagree with your take that violence is NEVER acceptable. I absolutely believe is can be acceptable even necessary in certain situations.

I wish I had the self control some people in here are projecting. I can't say i wouldn't do the same to someone who embarrassed/insulted my wife in public.

I'm sure Smith will eventually apologize to Rock--though probably not in public. I'd think Rock will apologize to Jada as well. In any case--he won't be making a joke at her expense again.

BTW it's not that I don't understand your position--I just don't agree with it.
                      ok, I'll amend my comment. Violence is never acceptable when someone hurts your feelings, or the feelings of someone you care about. There are some cases where you are actually protecting someone from harm were violence is called for. I think this was clearly not a case where it was called for, but we might disagree on that. I guess the follow up is what would have been an acceptable level of violence ? What if he broke his nose or jaw ? Is that the right ? How far could he have gone before you would say it is too much ?

If people point out I post stupid crap on this website and I am embarrassed should I hunt them down and slash their tires ? Or punch them in the nose. Does someone ridiculing me or my loved ones give me permission to assault them ? I think what happened is pretty clearly not acceptable, regardless of how I would have reacted in that situation. What a great world it would be if people just punched someone every time they got their feelings hurt.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

If people point out I post stupid crap on this website and I am embarrassed should I hunt them down and slash their tires ? Or punch them in the nose.
                        I hope not - I have had my nose broken before and I don't think I could afford replacing THAT many tires.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                          I hope not - I have had my nose broken before and I don't think I could afford replacing THAT many tires.
                          Ok, compromise -- I won't hit you and I will just slash one tire repeatedly if that helps
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

ok, I'll amend my comment. Violence is never acceptable when someone hurts your feelings, or the feelings of someone you care about. There are some cases where you are actually protecting someone from harm were violence is called for. I think this was clearly not a case where it was called for, but we might disagree on that. I guess the follow up is what would have been an acceptable level of violence ? What if he broke his nose or jaw ? Is that the right ? How far could he have gone before you would say it is too much ?

If people point out I post stupid crap on this website and I am embarrassed should I hunt them down and slash their tires ? Or punch them in the nose. Does someone ridiculing me or my loved ones give me permission to assault them ? I think what happened is pretty clearly not acceptable, regardless of how I would have reacted in that situation. What a great world it would be if people just punched someone every time they got their feelings hurt.
                            It'd be a better world if people considered others before opening their mouths.

But that's not the world we live in. I wish it were.

I also wish there was no need for violence or taking matters into one's own hands.

But again, that's not the world we live in.

I always try (mostly succeed) to react in a reasonable manner at first, but at times I've just reacted--emotionally and sometimes physically to what I perceive to be an unacceptable incident. So I cannot, without feeling like a hypocrite, condemn Smith's actions in totality.

As for internet stuff, I find keyboard bravado goes out the door when you meet face to face--at least that's been my experience. But you absolutely have the right to demand someone retract what you believe to be over the top offensive if you meet in person and take it from there. Should it get physical, and you make that choice, also be prepared to accept the consequences.

But as you said--we probably won't see eye to eye on this subject--If you recall-I advocated dragging people out of their SUVs and beating them if the voted Republican after 8 years of Bush Jr. Not my finest moment, but you get the point.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Ok, compromise -- I won't hit you and I will just slash one tire repeatedly if that helps
                              I'll hit him, especially if he keeps suggesting s Trump run in 24...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Is Will Smith that upset that the Braves brought in Jansen? Man he needs to be more professional about this. Closers lose their jobs all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X