Dogs in Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs in Public

As I venture out again into public spaces it seems to me there are far more people with dogs than there were prior to Covid-19. It could just be my imagination, but I've seen dogs walking with their owners as usual, but far more people are out walking their dogs than in the past (or again--It seems that way) I've also seen some pretty odd dog/owner dynamics I for sure hadn't seen prior to covid-19 (not that they didn't exist back then) Dogs being carried in those over shoulder baby slings, in baby strollers and wagons. Non service dogs in stores of all kinds. I've even seen them in restaurants and I'm not just seeing the tiny hide in your pocket size dogs, today I saw 2 full grown St Bernards in Home depot with their owners (again, not service dogs). I never used to see non service animals in businesses before covid-19.

I love dogs, but I have issue with non service dogs being in places of business, especially where food stuffs are sold or served. I really don't care if people treat dogs like small children, though I find it odd.

Has our isolation during the pandemic increased our emotional dependency on our pets?

Has the anti-social contract mentality seeped over from masks/vaccines into a 'don't tell me I can't bring my big ass dog into a store' 'my freedoms' mentality?

How do you guys feel about pets in public and are you experiencing the same thing I have recently, when it comes to Bowsers and their owners?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

A blanket yes to your questions.

I don't get the dogs in stores bit unless it is bringing them to the pet store. I've seen them in the hardware stores quite a bit, and those places aren't prepared for any accidents like a Petco or PetSmart is. I have 3 dogs myself and take them on car rides and to the park for walks & hikes, but have never thought to bring them into stores

Comment

Being a dog owner (a small Pom), I can't picture taking her to a place other than a pet store or a business that advertises as pet friendly. That being said, I don't mind dogs in Lowe's or Home Depot, but it drives me crazy to see a dog in a grocery store. It's so gross. I work in a grocery store and people have come in and placed their dog in a shopping cart, which contaminated the cart and required a thorough cleaning. Dogs have also crapped in the store and the owners made a half-hearted attempt to clean it. Just the thought of a dog walking through aisles of food products is sickening.

Comment

Comment

WFH made a lot of people feel like they finally had the time to take care of a dog. When I was looking at different shelters to adopt my latest cat (first one I've adopted in 26 years, all the others had just walked in off the streets) a year ago, I couldn't find any available in a 50 mile radius. It took 2 months for find a kitten. Same with puppies in shelters at the time. Even older dogs were being adopted.

Now that things are opening back up and people are having to return to work, the shelters are at 200% capacity as people surrender their covid dogs.

It's shocking that I haven't ended up with a dog yet.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

My feelings are unless it's a service animal it should not be in the store, especially the grocery store. I'll make an exception for the pet store.

See above for my feelings on children as well.
            “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

The problem with this that I see, is that it's usually not an issue if one or two people have their dogs in Home Depot, but if everyone started doing it, then it would be chaos. So I get annoyed with the one or two people who feel entitled to bring their dog. Just don't do it.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                My feelings are unless it's a service animal it should not be in the store, especially the grocery store. I'll make an exception for the pet store.

See above for my feelings on children as well.
                What if it's an otter?
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  The problem with this that I see, is that it's usually not an issue if one or two people have their dogs in Home Depot, but if everyone started doing it, then it would be chaos. So I get annoyed with the one or two people who feel entitled to bring their dog. Just don't do it.
                  When I take my dog to dog friendly places I do not feel entitled. I look at it that the establishments that allow dogs are doing it because it is good for business.

I do not do it often, but on the rare occasion that I choose to do this it is for fun.

Our dog is extremely well behaved and not intrusive to anyone's shopping experience. I would not allow that. In addition I do not think that people should fake the orange therapy vests just to take dogs where they are not otherwise welcome. Follow the rules of the establishment don't try to loophole them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    When I take my dog to dog friendly places I do not feel entitled. I look at it that the establishments that allow dogs are doing it because it is good for business.

I do not do it often, but on the rare occasion that I choose to do this it is for fun.

Our dog is extremely well behaved and not intrusive to anyone's shopping experience. I would not allow that. In addition I do not think that people should fake the orange therapy vests just to take dogs where they are not otherwise welcome. Follow the rules of the establishment don't try to loophole them.
                    Grocery stores are dog friendly establishments? What if other customers have dog allergies? Why not leave the pup home instead of taking up aisle space and inconveniencing others?

Assuming others have the same love for animals as you do and forcing them to accommodate your desires is indeed entitlement.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      What if it's an otter?
                      That would be a service animal, wouldn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

My problem is that the dog owner knows and trusts their dog.........I do NOT know nor trust their dog.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          Grocery stores are dog friendly establishments? What if other customers have dog allergies? Why not leave the pup home instead of taking up aisle space and inconveniencing others?

Assuming others have the same love for animals as you do and forcing them to accommodate your desires is indeed entitlement.
                          Who knew a thread about dogs could turn so angsty

Must be a cat-loving encroacher

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                            That would be a service animal, wouldn't it.
                            Is heavy lifting a service?

Comment

I can't imagine taking my dog to something other than a pet store. I don't know that I've seen anyone else do that yet. I don't think it would bug me super much in a Home Depot, but I also don't really see the point of it.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                              X