Dogs in Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
    That would be a service animal, wouldn't it.
    I wonder what a disservice animal would look like.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      I can't imagine taking my dog to something other than a pet store. I don't know that I've seen anyone else do that yet. I don't think it would bug me super much in a Home Depot, but I also don't really see the point of it.
      I like seeing dogs around. It's the damn people I can't stand.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        I can't imagine taking my dog to something other than a pet store. I don't know that I've seen anyone else do that yet. I don't think it would bug me super much in a Home Depot, but I also don't really see the point of it.
        I have the same issue with people who park their carts in the middle of the aisle while they browse the shelf opposite it. It's about being thoughtful and considerate to others and forcing people to navigate you, your dog and it's leash is, to me, inconsiderate.

Service animals are trained exceptionally well, when my Ex got her guide dog, it went everywhere--you hardly even noticed it. Plus she had an actual reason to bring it with her.

Not really angsty, just irritating.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          my Ex got her guide dog
          More evidence of your dog-hate

Not really angsty, just irritating.
          That's what my angsty kids say too.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
            My feelings are unless it's a service animal it should not be in the store, especially the grocery store. I'll make an exception for the pet store.

See above for my feelings on children as well.
            What’s a service child?

Comment

I have the same issue with people who park their carts in the middle of the aisle while they browse the shelf opposite it.
              This is fuckin' california man. People back east may not want to deal with other people, but they are forced to, due to population density. People out here have never been forced to learn courtesy and are just oblivious to anyone else's existence.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                This is fuckin' california man. People back east may not want to deal with other people, but they are forced to, due to population density. People out here have never been forced to learn courtesy and are just oblivious to anyone else's existence.
                Uh, so your contention is that east coasters are more courteous than west coasters?
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  oblivious to anyone else's existence.
                  So much of this...
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                    Uh, so your contention is that east coasters are more courteous than west coasters?
                    Oddly enough I was really surprised how nice people were when I had to work in Atlantic City on and off a few years back.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Grocery stores are dog friendly establishments? What if other customers have dog allergies? Why not leave the pup home instead of taking up aisle space and inconveniencing others?

Assuming others have the same love for animals as you do and forcing them to accommodate your desires is indeed entitlement.
                      I didn't mention grocery stores in my comment. In fact I don't think there are any grocery stores around my area that are dog friendly. If there were I would not take him.

I have taken my dog to Bass Pro Shop, Lowes, and Home Depot. Pet Stores do not count, we use their facilities to bathe the dog. Never had an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        I didn't mention grocery stores in my comment. In fact I don't think there are any grocery stores around my area that are dog friendly. If there were I would not take him.

I have taken my dog to Bass Pro Shop, Lowes, and Home Depot. Pet Stores do not count, we use their facilities to bathe the dog. Never had an issue.
                        I'm sure you never had an issue in the places you took your dog--that doesn't mean others didn't have an issue with it. Again--Allergies, having to navigate you, your dog and the leash are all things YOU should consider rather than not and have those affected deal with it in silence.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'm sure you never had an issue in the places you took your dog--that doesn't mean others didn't have an issue with it. Again--Allergies, having to navigate you, your dog and the leash are all things YOU should consider rather than not and have those affected deal with it in silence.
                          I have to allow extra time when I take Fergus to the store. It is an adventure. He is very well trained and stays in the heal position right next to my left hip. I do not intrude down isles that someone else is in. That said the reason I have to allow the extra hour is that he attracts people sometimes small crowds. Most want to know about the breed, pet him, get their picture taken with him or take his picture.

Of course there are some that do not want to engage and show it by their body language. This may have happened 3 times in 5 years. I always respect that and go the other way or wait for them to pass if I was in the isle first and have no easy exit.

Getting a dog like Fergus is a commitment. His behavior is my responsibility. I have considered ALL things that go into training this breed as well as ALL things that go into taking my dog to dog friendly places.

If someone wants to be crabby in one of these places it is because they are looking for reasons to be crabby.

Comment

Lots of men working manual labor jobs get a dog that they take everywhere. Landscapers especially, but I've seen other trades folks with dogs. Saw a construction worker in uniform with their dog recently at a construction site and thought it was stupid and unnecessary, but I think most of the men doing this have emotional issues which the dog helps alleviate. So they're acting as unofficial support animals, but yes, their owners are acting entitled by taking them for unnecessary trips that some folks have issues with.

I see both sides of the issue. Grocery stores should be a no-go for sanitary reasons, but hardware stores seems pretty harmless.

My biggest issue is dog owners who will talk to their dogs and ignore me entirely. "Dog people" sure seem like assholes at times. Recognition of a fellow human is underrated, especially with younger people. For so many dog owners, it's clear they just want something they can control.
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

My biggest issue is dog owners who will talk to their dogs and ignore me entirely.
                              You're not Malcom Crowe are you?
                              “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                                Lots of men working manual labor jobs get a dog that they take everywhere. Landscapers especially, but I've seen other trades folks with dogs. Saw a construction worker in uniform with their dog recently at a construction site and thought it was stupid and unnecessary, but I think most of the men doing this have emotional issues which the dog helps alleviate. So they're acting as unofficial support animals, but yes, their owners are acting entitled by taking them for unnecessary trips that some folks have issues with.

I see both sides of the issue. Grocery stores should be a no-go for sanitary reasons, but hardware stores seems pretty harmless.

My biggest issue is dog owners who will talk to their dogs and ignore me entirely. "Dog people" sure seem like assholes at times. Recognition of a fellow human is underrated, especially with younger people. For so many dog owners, it's clear they just want something they can control.

How do you define "Dog people?"

Is it just people who own dogs? Are there dog owners that are not "dog people?"

Regarding control issues. That is a trick statement. I do not think most dog owners get a dog so they can control something. In fact I believe that most dog owners should be more controlling. The dogs that non-dog people have the most trouble with are those that are not trained correctly. I will also add that well trained dogs are happier dogs.

Places that allow dogs are free to do so. People that do not want to encounter a dog in that particular place should stay away. The dog and dog owner do not owe it to the entitled non-dog people to comply with their wishes.

If you do not like loud noises stay out of the bowling alley.

There is a difference between Service Dogs and Therapy Dogs. Service dogs perform a service for someone with a disability. They should be allowed anywhere. Therapy Dogs give comfort, and support. They do play by the same rules as Service dogs. They should not be allowed anywhere.

Even therapy dogs have training to go through before they are allowed to visit hospitals, nursing homes, cancer wards etc. Dog people who buy fake vests so they can break the rules are the entitled that should be shown the door.

Comment

Working...
                                X