Brian Flores sues the NFL for Racial Discrimination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Flores sues the NFL for Racial Discrimination

Oof. I think his coaching career has just gone down the tubes, even if he's not wrong.

Originally posted by revo View Post
    Oof. I think his coaching career has just gone down the tubes, even if he's not wrong.
    Jesus, why would you say that?

Edit: Because if what you're saying is actually true, he has two lawsuits and not just one.

Edit 2: I can't help but wonder if the Giants in particular are fucked on this one if what Flores is alleging is true.

Edit 3: That is one weird ass complaint Flores filed.
    Last edited by Bene Futuis; 02-01-2022, 06:27 PM.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I was wondering when this would come out. When he was let go, everyone asked why the heck the Dolphins would fire him. Seemed like there was another shoe waiting to drop. Oof, NFL looks terrible here.

Comment

Imagine if he could prove up that Dolphins ownership paid him to tank (not that this seems particularly germane to his allegations, though).
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
          not that this seems particularly germane to his allegations, though
          From an article I just read on it (https://sports.yahoo.com/brian-flore...1356727.html):

Dolphins painted me as 'angry Black man'

The suit claims that "the writing had been on the wall" for his termination from the Dolphins since he started the job in 2019. The suit states that Ross "told Mr. Flores that he would pay him $100,000 for every loss" as the team sought to land the top selection in a draft that included quarterbacks Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert.

The suit states that Flores "refused his owner’s directive to 'tank,'" prompting general manager Chris Grier to tell Flores "that 'Steve' was 'mad' that Mr. Flores’ success in winning games that year was 'compromising [the team’s] draft position.'"

Comment

Edit: Because if what you're saying is actually true, he has two lawsuits and not just one.

Edit 2: I can't help but wonder if the Giants in particular are fucked on this one if what Flores is alleging is true.

Because the last thing any team would want right now is a controversial head coach, especially one willing to sue a team. Plus, he’s now a whistleblower and the old guard owners are probably mortified that he would file a lawsuit, bringing out the laundry in public, rather than working it out somehow.

Look at Kaepernick — was he wrong? Nope. Did he get signed anywhere? Nope. Too toxic. Flores is now toxic.

I can’t see how the Giants would be fucked. The Rooney Rule has been designed to have patsy’s like Flores interview just to satisfy the requirement. This has been going on for decades since it started, which is why it’s been toothless.

The Dolphins, OTOH, could be fucked. Paying a coach to toss games and then firing him because he wouldn’t?

Comment

I don't believe that standing up for things should be considered Toxic. People like Kap and now Flores aren't the toxic ones--it's the owners and the NFL hierarchy which are the problem, hence Toxic, but hey--money dictates so much in this world/country--I guess it gets to define things as well.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                I don't believe that standing up for things should be considered Toxic. People like Kap and now Flores aren't the toxic ones--it's the owners and the NFL hierarchy which are the problem, hence Toxic, but hey--money dictates so much in this world/country--I guess it gets to define things as well.
                Should is certainly different from what will likely happen. I think revo is right - Flores will not get hired again. I don’t think that makes him wrong in any way (not am I suggesting that what he’s doing is not worthwhile) to speak up or do the right thing, but I think it’s the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                  Should is certainly different from what will likely happen. I think revo is right - Flores will not get hired again. I don’t think that makes him wrong in any way (not am I suggesting that what he’s doing is not worthwhile) to speak up or do the right thing, but I think it’s the reality.
                  Exactly. Flores is 100% right, but it would be shocking if he were hired as a HC this cycle (he was rumored as the frontrunner for the Saints) or any cycle.

Why didn’t he wait until the cycle was over? Seems bizarre unless he knew he was already considered toxic, or he knew he was a patsy for the Saints as well.

In addition, as this news broke, 49ers DC DeMeco Ryans withdrew his name from the Vikings HC search -- presumably because he also knew he was being made to be a patsy, as coincidentally news broke that the Vikings were prepared to hire Jim Harbaugh.

And while all this is going on, where it looks like black coaches will be shockingly left out -- again-- of this coaching cycle (with 9 jobs open, no less), you have the Texans willing to "take a chance" on an unproven commodity in Josh McCown, a white QB who has never coached at any level before.

Comment

Flores on ESPN's "Get Up" with Mike Greenberg in about 20 minutes.

Comment

Because his coaching career has just gone down the tubes?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        I was wondering when this would come out. When he was let go, everyone asked why the heck the Dolphins would fire him. Seemed like there was another shoe waiting to drop. Oof, NFL looks terrible here.
                        Yep.

I was hoping the Bears would hire him. I wonder if he would have proceeded with the suit if he did get hired?

Comment

Not really important relevant to the topic at hand but how steaming mad is Bill Belichick that his text message is being used in this?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            Not really important relevant to the topic at hand but how steaming mad is Bill Belichick that his text message is being used in this?
                            Yup. But OTOH, a coach who is as prominent as Belichick *knowing* the Rooney Rule was a sham and that the Giants were skirting it also says something.

Granted, he's not a part of this. But the fact that he was aware these shenanigans were ongoing is a greater overall issue.

Comment

Flores supposedly a finalist for the Texans job, although given their racist clown of an owner, I have my doubts.

Comment

Working...
                              X