CBS excel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS excel question

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a custom report or otherwise get an Excel sheet going that would enable me to sort by minor leaguers? We have a minor league draft coming up and there are more than 100 minor leaguers being kept, so I thought some sort of reference sheet would help me figure out who's available and who's kept. Anyone tried something like this?
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

What I do for RJEL is go to Teams>All Teams, then at the bottom of the page there is a button to export to excel. While it will have space breaks for the different teams, if you take a few minutes to delete those, you'll then have every player rostered, and one of the columns is [presumably] contract, which [hopefully for you] is a minor league designation.

Comment

I tried what you suggested and we do have contracts but they're not showing in the Excel download. I don't see salary or contract when I do the export. Am I missing a button somewhere?
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        I tried what you suggested and we do have contracts but they're not showing in the Excel download. I don't see salary or contract when I do the export. Am I missing a button somewhere?
        Hmmm, I don't think so. When I go to a team page in RJEL and export it, it includes the Salary & Contract columns. But I would suppose it would depend on what page you're showing when you do the export.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Hmmm, I don't think so. When I go to a team page in RJEL and export it, it includes the Salary & Contract columns. But I would suppose it would depend on what page you're showing when you do the export.
          Ah, I was just doing it from the wrong page. I was trying to do it from the custom reports but it works great from the team page ("all teams"). Thanks for the help, amigo!

Comment

This could be a little clunky, but if you have a list of the minor league prospects you'd consider drafting, and the names are in the same format as the CBS export (First Last), (Last, First) etc, you could paste that list onto the same Excel page and then use Conditional Formatting

1. Highlight one of the columns by clicking in the Letter above the column
            2. While holding down the CTRL key, highlight the other column
            3. Conditional Formatting -> Highlight Cells Rules -> Duplicate Value -> Choose your color pattern

The colored cells are drafted. You will want to verify the others aren't drafted, but with a different name (Bobby Witt, Bobby Witt Jr.) etc.
            Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
              This could be a little clunky, but if you have a list of the minor league prospects you'd consider drafting, and the names are in the same format as the CBS export (First Last), (Last, First) etc, you could paste that list onto the same Excel page and then use Conditional Formatting

3. Conditional Formatting -> Highlight Cells Rules -> Duplicate Value -> Choose your color pattern

The colored cells are drafted. You will want to verify the others aren't drafted, but with a different name (Bobby Witt, Bobby Witt Jr.) etc.
              Awesome, thanks! I was going to do exactly that. This league will roster ~180 minor leaguers so it'll be nice to have a reference list to compare with.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post

I just do a vlookup (or xlookup these days) and then sort by the lookup column.

--- for those unfamiliar with vlookup you'd click on the top empty cell immediately to the right of your list of players, type =vlookup( then click the cell you are looking up (the top name in your list), then click on the LETTER of the column you are searching in (the list of minor league players already taken), then type ,1,false)
                Then use the bottom right corner of that cell to copy down to all the players.

That gives you the name of each player that is taken in that column, or "N/A" if they werent in the list.

The N/A values are the ones you want, they are "not available" in your list of taken players.

Comment

xlookups rock
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

you know you're in the right forum when there's posturing about which lookup function is best
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      you know you're in the right forum when there's posturing about which lookup function is best
                      Sort of. But we actually all agree on xlookup

Comment

Get busy concatenatin' or get busy dyin'.

Comment

XLookup?

"It's all Xlookup these days! You might need a refresher course, heyyyyy!!"

Comment

One of my favorite things with CBS site is their export capabilities. I do the same as what revo does - go to Teams page/All, then export. Vlookups were mentioned - I've started using Index/Match formula more, and that's been super useful. I have all kinds of custom reports created for my keeper leagues. I also export transactions and keep them in a master file. Comes in very handy when I want to research prior transactions (year over year too). Also, as commissioner of my keeper leagues, I monitor when players with minor league league contracts ("ML") have either been activated or have exceeded minimum MLB AB/IPs. To
                            do this, I've just created a simple custom report.

Point being, I know CBS gets knocked a lot, but I've been using the site for 18-20 years now, and at least from a commissioner perspective, I've found it extremely user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleehrat Nation View Post
                              One of my favorite things with CBS site is their export capabilities. I do the same as what revo does - go to Teams page/All, then export. Vlookups were mentioned - I've started using Index/Match formula more, and that's been super useful. I have all kinds of custom reports created for my keeper leagues. I also export transactions and keep them in a master file. Comes in very handy when I want to research prior transactions (year over year too). Also, as commissioner of my keeper leagues, I monitor when players with minor league league contracts ("ML") have either been activated or have exceeded minimum MLB AB/IPs. To
                              do this, I've just created a simple custom report.

Point being, I know CBS gets knocked a lot, but I've been using the site for 18-20 years now, and at least from a commissioner perspective, I've found it extremely user friendly.
                              Hey, welcome aboard! Can you go a little more in-depth about "Index/Match"? I may know more about Excel than 95% of the population, but it's those 5% that know 1000x more than I do, and this is well above my pay grade.

Comment

Working...
                              X