Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects ("Pre-BA Top 100" Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I missed Khalil Watson and he just got picked along with Josh Lowe. D'oh! Back to me.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      I missed Khalil Watson and he just got picked along with Josh Lowe. D'oh! Back to me.
      I like Watson a lot....if yo are willing to go for a recent draftee that carries more risk and is farther away, Brady House sure would be tempting. He has huge power potential. His ceiling is multiple AS at 3b. The Nationals have a pretty good track record for developing talented hitters. I like Michael Harris too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I like Watson a lot....if yo are willing to go for a recent draftee that carries more risk and is farther away, Brady House sure would be tempting. He has huge power potential. His ceiling is multiple AS at 3b. The Nationals have a pretty good track record for developing talented hitters. I like Michael Harris too.
        I think only keeping 3 minor leaguers year over year means proximity plays a much bigger role than most leagues.

I would be tempted to go with Jose Miranda. I know he came out of nowhere in the prospect landscape, but so did Mookie Betts. Miranda's minor league production is filthy, and he's ready to graduate. 30+ HR power seems translatable to MLB as his K and BB rates are impressive and show he can handle the bigs. 13.1% K rate in 80 AAA games with 17 HR and .343 BA is hard to ignore.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I am a total homer but if you want someone who will certainly be in the rotation either in April or shortly thereafter, then Edward Cabrera...hard to pass him up. He's legit.

Comment

Well, it's not a snake draft so I actually have to wait 11 more picks! Hopefully some from that list will survive.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              I think only keeping 3 minor leaguers year over year means proximity plays a much bigger role than most leagues.

I would be tempted to go with Jose Miranda. I know he came out of nowhere in the prospect landscape, but so did Mookie Betts. Miranda's minor league production is filthy, and he's ready to graduate. 30+ HR power seems translatable to MLB as his K and BB rates are impressive and show he can handle the bigs. 13.1% K rate in 80 AAA games with 17 HR and .343 BA is hard to ignore.
              Can keep 10 minor leaguers, not just 3. Agreed re: Miranda --- ever since I "discovered" Paul Goldschmidt, who was putting up insane numbers while still an unheralded prospect, I'm always on the lookout for these guys who just annihilate the minors even when the prognosticators don't consider them toolsy enough.

Comment

Great point. I totally missed it was only 3 minor leaguers. That changes things a lot, and you are right, guys like Lowe, Barrero, and Miranda, who are close, get a major bump. There are very few high school draftees I'd ever roster in such a format.

Comment

Can keep 10 minor leaguers, not just 3. Agreed re: Miranda --- ever since I "discovered" Paul Goldschmidt, who was putting up insane numbers while still an unheralded prospect, I'm always on the lookout for these guys who just annihilate the minors even when the prognosticators don't consider them toolsy enough.
                  Ha, I responded to TW before I read this. Nevermind that post then...back to touting House as tempting . But you guys are right on not ignoring the numbers for a late bloomer like Miranda.

Comment

@rhd - As someone who has never actually witnessed him swing a bat, I am curious what are your thoughts on Jeremy Pena? Is he ready? Do you HOU is ready to take a chance on him Opening Day?

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                      @rhd - As someone who has never actually witnessed him swing a bat, I am curious what are your thoughts on Jeremy Pena? Is he ready? Do you HOU is ready to take a chance on him Opening Day?
                      Thanx for the response, Pauly.

I've never seen him swing either. But everything I'm reading seems to indicate that the starting SS job probably is his to lose. I certainly dont see them resigning Correa. He even is getting ranked in prominent Top 100 lists this year, like BA and BP (#16!), which I didnt expect, so I've moved him up my list some. I have him as a possible keeper in 2 of my leagues and I didnt think I would end up keeping him in either but now I might keep him in both. People already knew about his speed (altho BA's report says it's only slightly above average) but he showed a surge in power last year also. I see him as more of an average-ish MLB regular than a future star.

Comment

I ended up picking Brett Baty, Jose Miranda, and Jose Barrero with my first three picks. Also traded for Xavier Edwards. Skipped next round and am now targeting someone like Andy Pages, D.L. Hall, Everson Pereira - could go with Jeremy Pena for another starting SS or real young with Reginald Preciado.

Comment

rhd, what are your thoughts on Jairo Pomares? I am not a fan of the walk to K ratio, but Fantrax (Cross) and Baseball Prospectus both have him top 100--89 and 83 respectively. Keith Law doesn't rank him all that high, but his write up indicates good promise and that he could be a riser. Do you have him top 200?

Comment

rhd, what are your thoughts on Jairo Pomares? I am not a fan of the walk to K ratio, but Fantrax (Cross) and Baseball Prospectus both have him top 100--89 and 83 respectively. Keith Law doesn't rank him all that high, but his write up indicates good promise and that he could be a riser. Do you have him top 200?
                            Pomares was on my prior list but he didnt seem to be getting enough support from the scouts so I moved him off. He's still not that far off, currently #160. BA's report says that he has very good exit velo and displayed much more power last year. But his plate discipline is pretty bad and is a below average defender so rt now he's going to have to continue to hit to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                              Pomares was on my prior list but he didnt seem to be getting enough support from the scouts so I moved him off. He's still not that far off, currently #160. BA's report says that he has very good exit velo and displayed much more power last year. But his plate discipline is pretty bad and is a below average defender so rt now he's going to have to continue to hit to be successful.
                              Yeah, the plate discipline is a big turn off to me. On defense, I've read he was above average. In fact, I have read it was good enough to be a good corner, but not good enough to be a CF, so he doesn't seem like he'd be a liability as a corner outfielder. Still, I am sure you are right that he will need to continue to hit to make it.

Comment

Yeah, the plate discipline is a big turn off to me. On defense, I've read he was above average. In fact, I have read it was good enough to be a good corner, but not good enough to be a CF, so he doesn't seem like he'd be a liability as a corner outfielder. Still, I am sure you are right that he will need to continue to hit to make it.
                                Here's a quote from BA's report:
                                Pomares has made strides on defense, including with first-step reactions and quickness, but he’s still a below-average defender overall.

Comment

Working...
                                X