Are we done (ish) with Mike Trout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Yeah, last year killed him games-wise. Clearly you're paying for the insane upside, which admittedly is less than it once was in his stolen base heyday. Still, 2019 Trout at $35 would be a-ok by me (or '17, '16, '15 etc.)

Edit: I'd pay more for Trout than for Yordan because I think Trout has a higher upside and both have significant injury concerns, although Yordan's knee problems seem to be chronic. To be fair, I haven't researched that very much at all.
    Yordan took a year off and then played 144 games. Were there reports of knee issues last year ? I don't recall

EDIT: but back to Trout, he's certainly an injury risk and high risk/high reward guy. Rostering him would depend on your team's outlook.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      Yordan took a year off and then played 144 games. Were there reports of knee issues last year ? I don't recall

EDIT: but back to Trout, he's certainly an injury risk and high risk/high reward guy. Rostering him would depend on your team's outlook.
      Looks like two years of chronic pain, surgery on both knees, but nothing since (that I could find).

Houston’s Yordan Alvarez grew up in Cuba believing he’d never need to learn English. The M.V.P. of the A.L.C.S. lets his tape measure homers do the talking.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I got a sense that Alvarez was in better health last year, which allowed him to play 41 games in LF. That's huge for my confidence in him going forward, as I need to extend him in AL only. Was thinking 3 years to $15, but with OF eligibility, now thinking possibly 4 years at $20. The bat is insanely good, with a 150 OPS+ from age 22-24 seasons, while battling a wonky knee.

Obviously Yordan (24.5 yrs old) has more upside than Trout at 30. Upside being defined as potential to outperform expectations, there is no more upside after multiple MVP's, especially after 30. Performance correlation to age curve is extremely stable, and father time is undefeated.

For every Roger Clemens or Joey Votto that finds a new gear in their late 30's, there's much more of the Pujols/Miggy types that steadily decline into mediocrity starting at 30.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Looks like two years of chronic pain, surgery on both knees, but nothing since (that I could find).

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/21/s...-alcs-mvp.html
          two years of chronic pain is nothing! probably still some concern, but hope he is healthy
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
            I got a sense that Alvarez was in better health last year, which allowed him to play 41 games in LF. That's huge for my confidence in him going forward, as I need to extend him in AL only. Was thinking 3 years to $15, but with OF eligibility, now thinking possibly 4 years at $20. The bat is insanely good, with a 150 OPS+ from age 22-24 seasons, while battling a wonky knee.

Obviously Yordan (24.5 yrs old) has more upside than Trout at 30. Upside being defined as potential to outperform expectations, there is no more upside after multiple MVP's, especially after 30. Performance correlation to age curve is extremely stable, and father time is undefeated.

For every Roger Clemens or Joey Votto that finds a new gear in their late 30's, there's much more of the Pujols/Miggy types that steadily decline into mediocrity starting at 30.
            I figured if they let him play OF that many games his knees must be fairly good. Still a bit of a concern. He doesn't look like he is carrying a lot of extra weight, but he is a big guy.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

two years of chronic pain is nothing! probably still some concern, but hope he is healthy
              I'm probably more dialed in to complaints of chronic knee pain than most, given my squishy knees and five surgeries. I was worried that Alvarez had a chronic condition (he might), while Trout just had weird and unrelated injuries. Trout now has had issues with his wrist, a torn thumb ligament, and the calf issue that knocked him out last year. Not really sure whether injury-prone is better than suffering from a chronic ailment, I guess.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I'm probably more dialed in to complaints of chronic knee pain than most, given my squishy knees and five surgeries. I was worried that Alvarez had a chronic condition (he might), while Trout just had weird and unrelated injuries. Trout now has had issues with his wrist, a torn thumb ligament, and the calf issue that knocked him out last year. Not really sure whether injury-prone is better than suffering from a chronic ailment, I guess.
                yeah, who knows. I have Alvarez in an option year, so not sure what to do. Without the knee concerns it would be an easier decision
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Mike Trout has the highest WAR of any player in baseball since 2005. He started playing in 2012.

Comment

I'm keeping Mike Trout at $41 this year. My league is a 5x5 12 team mixed with 24 man roster and $300 budget. Nine keepers and $1 free agents makes for some very high inflation with top players going for $70-$80 in the draft. I think that 75% of a season from Mike Trout would still be better than most other OFers.

Part of the reason that I am keeping him is it seems that the outfield position is a lot more shallow this year. My strategy is to corner the top OF market this year as I am also keeping Aaron Judge at $48 and Julio Rodriguez at $1. All three players are first year keepers with three years (one year contracts) being the maximum allowed with a $5 price increase the 2nd and 3rd years.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      I'm keeping Mike Trout at $41 this year. My league is a 5x5 12 team mixed with 24 man roster and $300 budget. Nine keepers and $1 free agents makes for some very high inflation with top players going for $70-$80 in the draft. I think that 75% of a season from Mike Trout would still be better than most other OFers.

Part of the reason that I am keeping him is it seems that the outfield position is a lot more shallow this year. My strategy is to corner the top OF market this year as I am also keeping Aaron Judge at $48 and Julio Rodriguez at $1. All three players are first year keepers with three years (one year contracts) being the maximum allowed with a $5 price increase the 2nd and 3rd years.
                      Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post

How did you get Julio for just $1 last year

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          Presumably from his minor's (dev squad) roster?
                          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

I'm still stunned myself. Expecting a bidding war with someone, I saved 2 bench spots and an extra $21 to bid on him (and Glasnow) at the end of the auction. I was prepared to go $20 for Julio at that point with very little talent left in the auction. So I waited...and waited...but nobody else called him out. Next thing I know every roster but mine is full and I still had 2 spots to fill. So, with nobody left to bid against me, I took Julio for a buck with the next to last pick, then Glasnow for a buck with the final pick, and left $19 on the table. It's the only time I have ever been satisfied with leaving money on the table.

The news was already out that Julio was headed for AAA and that the Mariners could leave him there for the majority of the season. Minor leaguers take up one of our four bench spots. So, it's a tough decision to roster one. Julio was actually rostered by another team in my league at the end of 2021. I was very surprised that he wasn't kept for 2022. I suspect that manager and others in my league were looking to avoid the auction bidding war and targeting him as an early season free agent pickup for $1. I didn't want to risk losing out in the free agent frenzy so I targeted him for the auction end game and was willing to spend the extra money to get him. It ended up working out better than I had planned.

BTW, Kelenic, who had beaten out Julio for the Mariners final spot, went for $20 in the auction. To the same manager who didn't keep Julio from 2021.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

wow - I'm shocked...
                              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                              X