2K22 Catcher thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K22 Catcher thread

Catcher is an interesting position for fantasy baseball players. Many different ways to go.

I play in two catcher league only leagues 5x5. I have end gamed the position spending money elsewhere. I have spent pretty high and even kept some top of the line catchers. Sometimes I have picked the starter and the backup to start the year. I have tried to grow my own with prospects. Usually I end up trading them well before they make it to the big leagues.

I can say that the most consistent thing I have done has been to leave one catcher spot open and pencil in $2 for it in endgame. As needs unfold during the season I can trade for one if needed. FAAB almost never works well in my experience.

What do you guys like to do for catcher?

All of my (4) leagues have transitioned from 2 catchers to 1 catcher, with an extra DH spot. Especially in an Only league, where you have 24 active catcher slots and only 15 starting catchers (of which, only 5-8 will produce decently), there's a lot more to consider.

I used to always buy the best catcher in the league, or my favourite of the top tier anyway. The advantage here is that if you go in with the best catcher, you either ride him to contention or trade him at dump time. It's a stable asset because it appeals to a rebuilder at auction and appeals to a contender at deadline. Also, for a trade asset, it doesn't usually cost too much. Due to catchers only collecting 60-75% of the usual player's PA, most aren't willing to spend too heavily, even on top options.

Nowadays, I look at positional versatility as a way for catchers to get more PA. Varsho is being viewed as a top 5-8 catcher all over because of his potential to get 140+ games from OF (as well as the uniqueness of a catcher with SB ability).

I still believe buying at the top is always a decent play. But taking a shot on a lower priced guy with breakout potential is a solid play as well. Guys who are backups with some hitting ability waiting to take over the primary catcher role can usually be had much cheaper here than other positions.

I would also be much more inclined to chase prospect catchers in a 2 catcher format, depending who it is. I bought Varsho as a prospect all over a couple years back, given his position flexibility and SB. Sure enough, I've been waiting for this upcoming season as my reward, although he's starting to get squeezed into full-time OF. It's a narrow path for these bat first, mediocre defense guys to become dangerous enough hitters before they transition out of catching. Shwarber also comes to mind.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

TNSTAAGC - there is no such thing as a good catcher

Mostly just kidding, but kinda not. I know that the stats are all relative but I'd almost always rather spend elsewhere. I usually reserve about $8 or so for my two catchers and end up getting one for $4-6 and another in the end game for $1-3. Often I end up with two dollar days guys. Only leagues are obviously much tougher to even get full time ABs out of the position unless you are spending big. But looking back at even the top tier catchers, you just can't rely on them to have sustained success from one year to the next. It's an unbelievably demanding position.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I have almost always been a "budget $5 for 2 catchers" sort of guy (context: 12 mixed), but this year I am trying something different because I made a late deal for Will Smith last season at 9, and he just seems so much better than most catchers, so for 9 I will eat it and pay 1 for my second one.

Comment

Catchers and Closers....the Bane of my rotisserie existence.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            I have almost always been a "budget $5 for 2 catchers" sort of guy (context: 12 mixed), but this year I am trying something different because I made a late deal for Will Smith last season at 9, and he just seems so much better than most catchers, so for 9 I will eat it and pay 1 for my second one.
            Great choice. Love Smith at $9.

He is kept at $23 in our 12 team NL only.

Comment

Paul Sporer's top 10:

J.T. Realmuto-27a
              2 Will Smith-23B
              3 Yasmani Grandal-21B
              4 Salvador Perez-11X
              5 Daulton Varsho-15B
              6 Tyler Stephenson-3B
              7 Willson Contreras-21A
              8 Keibert Ruiz-2A
              9 Alejandro Kirk-11a
              10 Sean Murphy-10X

The salaries are from my NL and AL only leagues 5x5 OBP instead of ave. The X contracts are done this year. The small a means that the player was dropped in our first round of roster cutdowns. Then they were picked up during our winter waiver draft. Small a's can be kept for 3 years but not extended.

I roster Contreras but do not know if I will keep him. As the winner last year I only get 10 keepers including prospects. Money, roster spots, as well as free agents will have some say as to whether or not I keep him.

I do think the rest of these will be kept baring getting traded out of the leagues.

What are some of your leagues salaries for these top 10?

Comment

OK - here's a good "what would you do" scenario for y'all:

12 team mixed 5x5 standard cats 2 catcher league

Of the 180 players being kept, only 5 are catchers. Most of the catcher talent is available at auction (obviously). I need two catchers, just like a good deal of the rest of the league, and catcher as a position will need filling more than any other.

Does any of that change your strategy? Given the demand for catchers, are you going to spend more than usual to land a top guy or two? Usually I'm in the "catchers are for dollar days" camp but now I'm not so sure. I have a really fantastic keeper base and need to supplement my hitting more than anything. So target top guys? How much to budget?
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I am setting 12 moves out with Adley Rutschman still on the board. This comes with two potential additional years. Here's hoping.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                    OK - here's a good "what would you do" scenario for y'all:

12 team mixed 5x5 standard cats 2 catcher league

Of the 180 players being kept, only 5 are catchers. Most of the catcher talent is available at auction (obviously). I need two catchers, just like a good deal of the rest of the league, and catcher as a position will need filling more than any other.

Does any of that change your strategy? Given the demand for catchers, are you going to spend more than usual to land a top guy or two? Usually I'm in the "catchers are for dollar days" camp but now I'm not so sure. I have a really fantastic keeper base and need to supplement my hitting more than anything. So target top guys? How much to budget?
                    with almost everyone getting thrown back I might try budgeting $5 each, thinking that most will be looking for a $1 or $2 guy; you might be able to scoop someone up on the cheap, and if it doesn't work you just reallocate those dollars to your last OF or P and revert to a couple of dollar Cs.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      with almost everyone getting thrown back I might try budgeting $5 each, thinking that most will be looking for a $1 or $2 guy; you might be able to scoop someone up on the cheap, and if it doesn't work you just reallocate those dollars to your last OF or P and revert to a couple of dollar Cs.
                      This is something I've had success with. There are always several people that just won't go over $2 for a catcher. Even budgeting $3 can work really well.

Comment

I hate catchers. Hate, hate, hate, hate.... In my AL last year I went through 6-7 catchers even took Maldonado on FAAB at one point. Ended up with Torrens who I got at the right time but the amount of wasted FAAB to correct it was just stupid. I think this season I'm budgeting less and will hook up an electrode if I even think of over.

Comment

Opinions on E. Diaz. I have him for $5 in a 10 team NL league. Was thinking of throwing him back but this thread gives me pause.

Comment

Originally posted by FBP View Post
                            Opinions on E. Diaz. I have him for $5 in a 10 team NL league. Was thinking of throwing him back but this thread gives me pause.
                            I like him for $5 in a 1 catcher NL only. I really like him for $5 in a two catcher NL only.

Comment

AL only 2 catcher OBP instead of ave. 12 teams $260 budget.

We have 13 reserve spots.

An owner has a 1C Max Stassi that can be extended at $5 per year or played out. He wants my first round pick fifth over all. The first round pick is assigned a $15 value when activated. It does not count against this year budget.

This year I am planning on using that pick to take the best pitcher left from the auction unless someone fell through.

I would also play Stassi out if I traded for him. In addition I would have to drop Jordan Groshans 10F. While I do not mind keeping Groshans for free he is blocked and could be traded maybe out of the league.

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X