Could use some help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could use some help...

Picked up a team in a league a friend commishes that's just been dumped. It's 12-team mixed, but with deeper benches and four minors slots, 5x5 with OBP. The keeper rules are based on years - you can contract a player for 1-4 years, with your team having a max of 20 contract years. If a team keeps more than 7 players, they forfeit their first round pick, then second round, and so on. The team I inherited has Wander Franco with three more years, Kyle Tucker with three more years, and Gerrit Cole with one more year. So I have 13 years to spread among four players - there's about 12 top-50 players who's contracts have run out, and I'd like to make sure I can get one or two of them. I pick 12th out of 12. If you keep less than seven players, you actually make that up at the end of the draft - not the beginning.

My options:

Hitters - Starling Marte, Giancarlo Stanton, Anthony Rendon, Justin Turner, Jo Adell
    Pitchers - Carlos Rodon, Alex Manoah, Edwin Diaz

Thoughts? I'm pretty baffled at this point.

TIA
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Not quite sure I understand the format, but if those are guys you're looking to pick up. I'd probably go with the following.

Marte
    Rendon
    Adell
    Manoah
    Diaz
    Stanton
    Turner
    Rodon
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

If you keep a player, do you declare the years? Is it automatically four? Can you drop a guy mid-contract?
      Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
        If you keep a player, do you declare the years? Is it automatically four? Can you drop a guy mid-contract?
        You do declare the years, and you can choose 1-4. Someone can be dropped mid-contract with no penalty.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

So with four players, and no penalty to drop, no reason not to go 4-3-3-3 or something like that.

Manoah, Marte and Stanton seem like the three easy choices. I can make an argument for Diaz, Rendon and Rodon. The safe pick is Diaz.

Manoah is the only clear four-year guy, but there is no penalty on the others, so maybe...

Manoah 4
          Marte 4 (you'll drop when he starts sliding, but why not maximize possible productive years?)
          Stanton 4 (every year he stays healthy, you keep him, else drop)
          Diaz 1 (you may not get a decent closer if you're focusing elsewhere with your first two picks)
          Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Seems like you really ought to keep exactly seven in this format, right? I guess I'm not too sure what the first or second rounds may look like, but if you're looking at four more I also like Manaea as well as Marte, Rendon, and I guess Stanton. With no penalty to release, might as well go for the biggest upside, eh? Would be nice to figure a way to get Rodon in there, too, which is doable if you're not a Rendon guy after his rough 2021. Rendon can be an OBP monster, though.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
            X