Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2k22 Zac Gallen

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Most of you are shockingly low on Gallen. He is risky, but the idea that he isn't worth a roster spot, even in a shallow mixed league, is crazy to me. He could end up winning people leagues if he is taken in the late rounds or dollar days.
    Yup, shockingly low. I guess that's typical this early when valuations haven't really been reviewed much. To be frank he wont be taken in dollar days. We are talking about a mid tier guy in an only league.

I'm also high on Gallen's upside, as a Dynasty league owner. I wouldn't be comfortable if he was my ace or even 2nd best SP, but as a depth piece the upside is undeniable. I've got him around 40th for SP coming into 2022, but wouldn't be surprised if he finishes top 20 with 30+ starts.
    "My favourite is when Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi say "we need a strong Republican party." And I'm like, "um, well, I dont. Not sure why you do." And then I realized why they do need a strong Republican party. Because if there was no Republican party, even if you were a fan of the Democrats, you would be like "hey, now what's holding you back from doing good policy if there's no opposition?" Because they'd be revealed as frauds." - Judah Friedlander

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Hmm...maybe a little strong.

How about now? We do only leagues. In my 5x5 we have 23 man rosters. I can't see me wasting a spot on him.
    This is crazy...I hope everyone feels this way on Gallen he will be a total steal....and Im not even all that high on him.

I agree with Bene. If I knew he'd stay healthy, I'd be super high on him.
    Same here. The problem isn't even just "healthy" it's "forearm strain", which is why I'd only go for him in the endgame. Maybe even $3-4 in a NL only. Which means that it'll be unlikely I get him.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Hall of Famer
    I agree with Bene. If I knew he'd stay healthy, I'd be super high on him. HIs new pitching coach has a track record of bringing talent to the next level too. I have him on a long term deal and I could give him away, but I won't. He is worth the risk to me. The injury risk is real, but he could be a top 20 pitcher this year, if healthy.
    If I knew he would stay healthy I would not have written what I did.

Minor elbow problems plus cutter = problems.

All that said this thread is exactly why I like posting my questions here.

So what would you all pay for him at auction? Please state only or mixed.

Our 5x5 only had the first cut last Sunday. I see that Gallen made the first cut at $15. It will be interesting to see if he makes the second cut on Monday. If he is dropped he will go into our Winter Waiver draft. I can't help wonder if he falls to me if I shouldn't pick him up and try to flip him for a higher reserve round pick during Spring Training. If no on bites I can drop him a week before our Auction.

Journeyman
    Well, he's a tough decision for me (leaning against, maybe) as a keep at $5 in a 12 team mixed. I'd keep him at that price in an only league without a second thought, honestly.
    I think the tragedy is that we have a Congress with a Senate that has a minority of misguided senators who will use the filibuster to keep the majority of people from even voting. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

Responding to Gregg and Chance: I hear ya both, but to me the fact that they emphasized there was no tear PLUS the fact that they let him come back and while he was not as effective, the arm held up, I think it is reasonable to be cautiously optimistic that the time bomb won't go off soon. I recall Daisuke actually having an identified partial tear and pitching for years on it at a high level. And I think Sale had a fore arm strain early on and coupled with his mechanics, people waits for many years for his ligament to snap before it actually did. I do agree he is riskier than many, but how do you both feel about the fact that he came back and pitched much of the year after the strain and the ligament held up? Doesn't the show he could stay healthy this year too?

Given the possibility he stays healthy, his proven talent, and the addition of Brent Strom, I'd have a hard time taking more than 40 pitchers ahead of him in a mixed league. My risk aversion would be higher in an Only league, but I'd still take the risk after the first 20 or so arms.

Maybe a comparison is useful here to see if you folks are just averse to any level of arm risk, or think Gallen represents more risk than I do.

Who would you take first or spend more money on--Gallen or Kershaw? Kershaw is one of my all-time favorite pitchers, but I'd take Gallen at this point. I think he is less risky. Or rather, the risk is different. Gallen has a better shot at 30 starts than Kershaw, but a better shot at missing 30 starts too. Still, if I had to pick one to start more games, I'd pick Gallen.

Hall of Famer
    Maybe a comparison is useful here to see if you folks are just averse to any level of arm risk, or think Gallen represents more risk than I do.

Who would you take first or spend more money on--Gallen or Kershaw? Kershaw is one of my alltime favorite pitchers, but I'd take Gallen at this point. I think he is less risky. Or rather, the risk is different. Gallen has a better shot at 30 starts than Kershaw, but a better shot at missing 30 starts too.
    It is funny that you mention Kershaw. I was actually comparing them. I am getting leery of Kershaw, yet I would easily take him over Gallen for this coming year. He is in the last year of his $29 contract in our NL only league. If he was back in this year I would probably go $22ish.

Journeyman
    I would also take Kershaw pretty easily over Gallen, even though I am apparently higher on Gallen than many others. However, that comes with a huge caveat, as Kershaw missed the postseason with injuries and I haven't heard much since then about how he's doing.
    I think the tragedy is that we have a Congress with a Senate that has a minority of misguided senators who will use the filibuster to keep the majority of people from even voting. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1963