Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Week 18 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    The actual statistical data shows that if the Raiders knelt and tied they make the playoffs. END OF STORY> It really is that simple. For someone so obsessed with statistics, you just can't get that 100% is the best option?????
    It's actually quite gross that you are spinning the fact that I'm evaluating more information that you are (the idea that different opponents matter), and using that to suggest that I can't get a statistical argument right. You are either a) an asshole troll intentionally making an argument that you know is false or b) incredibly stupid. Otherwise you'd realize that argument makes absolutely no sense.

*** sorry I'm wrong, the option of BOTH a) and b) is still in play, I can't rule that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    It does matter to the teams. They want the best/easiest way to the Super Bowl. Evidenced by trying to earn the bye week.

In hindsight the Raiders made the best call possible.

I am just curious do you have a favorite team that has a rival? As a fan how important is it to you to beat them?
    Yup.

I'm pretty sure my 8 year old who has never watched a football game would understand this. The fact that an adult who apparently watches football doesn't have the capacity to grasp such a simple statement is astounding.

is this shit still going? Everyone understands what Mith and I are saying and everyone else in this thread would choose to roll the dice to get a better matchup (not all that much better I might add) in the playoffs at the cost/risk of taking a remote chance that they dont make it. Fine. End it.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Yup.

I'm pretty sure my 8 year old who has never watched a football game would understand this. The fact that an adult who apparently watches football doesn't have the capacity to grasp such a simple statement is astounding.
    Why hasn't your 8 year old ever watched a football game? What kind of Texan are you?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by umjewman View Post
    Why hasn't your 8 year old ever watched a football game? What kind of Texan are you?!?!
    I have tried, she is a momma's girl

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Do opponents matter to the teams or is it the fans or the bettors.? Playing the Bengals of Chiefs is immaterial IF YOU DON'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. And the bengals look just as dangerous an opponent as the Chiefs.
    This is true. But I don't think the decision was a best odds/who will we play/analytics decision. The interim Raiders head coach was the special teams coach, and I think he was sending a message to his special teams players that he was fully confident they'd execute with the game on the line. Add in the enthusiasm and confidence gained by KO'ing a hated rival out of the playoffs, and I think those were the two drivers for his decision.

In a way, I guess it is analytical - he figured the very minimal risk of losing the game was worth the gain of building trust, enthusiasm, and confidence in his team going into what would be a tough playoff matchup, whether it was KC or Cinci. While football is a game of skill, it's also a game of emotion, and the Raiders coach sure banked some big emotion points with that decision.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    is this shit still going? Everyone understands what Mith and I are saying and everyone else in this thread would choose to roll the dice to get a better matchup (not all that much better I might add) in the playoffs at the cost/risk of taking a remote chance that they dont make it. Fine. End it.
    The statement I had a problem with was "Raiders were FUCKING IDIOTS for attempting that FG."

... they definitely weren't.

Then that was followed by insults about how I couldn't grasp the concept of the statistics involved apparently.

If you want to say that you don't care about what opponent you play even though it's obvious that NFL teams DO care, then I can respect that argument. But suggesting that Mith and you are martyrs is a little silly.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by umjewman View Post
    The next time she needs a time out make her watch a football game.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I have tried, she is a momma's girl
    This made me laugh. Nicely played.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    This is true. But I don't think the decision was a best odds/who will we play/analytics decision. The interim Raiders head coach was the special teams coach, and I think he was sending a message to his special teams players that he was fully confident they'd execute with the game on the line. Add in the enthusiasm and confidence gained by KO'ing a hated rival out of the playoffs, and I think those were the two drivers for his decision.

In a way, I guess it is analytical - he figured the very minimal risk of losing the game was worth the gain of building trust, enthusiasm, and confidence in his team going into what would be a tough playoff matchup, whether it was KC or Cinci. While football is a game of skill, it's also a game of emotion, and the Raiders coach sure banked some big emotion points with that decision.
    The rival thing is very important. Especially to A-type personalities, which they all are.