Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you move to an area that didn't fit you politically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    My father-in-law believes that January 6th was a false flag operation by Antifa. At least the violent parts of it. Seriously.
    The party of personal responsibility can never take any responsibility for their actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      And all the now hundreds of successful prosecutions were.....um.....part of the false flag operation? Or maybe those convicted were secretly Anitfa? Sheesh.
      Antifa got away with it. The convicted ones were just patsies.

Comment

Florida's state legislature, now a full-blown Trumpish body, passed a bill to end Disney's 'Special Status,' which allows them to self-govern their district -- all in retaliation for them speaking out against Gov DeathSantis's "Don't Say Gay" bill. By ending the special status, taxpayers will likely be on the hook for a tax increase of up to $2,800 per household.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Florida's state legislature, now a full-blown Trumpish body, passed a bill to end Disney's 'Special Status,' which allows them to self-govern their district -- all in retaliation for them speaking out against Gov DeathSantis's "Don't Say Gay" bill. By ending the special status, taxpayers will likely be on the hook for a tax increase of up to $2,800 per household.
          It seems uncertain if this amount will have to be paid right away or if it will be deferred long enough for other solutions, but either way, it seems very clear this was a very poorly thought out retaliation plan by the party that runs on "no new taxes". The county takes on all the debt and cannot create new special district to increase taxes on Disney without them agreeing to take back the billion and debt they got out of by this stupid move. It would seem to give Disney leverage to negotiate as good as or a better deal than they already had, so again, it seems very poorly thought out by team DeSantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            It seems uncertain if this amount will have to be paid right away or if it will be deferred long enough for other solutions, but either way, it seems very clear this was a very poorly thought out retaliation plan by the party that runs on "no new taxes". The county takes on all the debt and cannot create new special district to increase taxes on Disney without them agreeing to take back the billion and debt they got out of by this stupid move. It would seem to give Disney leverage to negotiate as good as or a better deal than they already had, so again, it seems very poorly thought out by team DeSantis.
            The question is how will Disney retaliate? Can they start to look for alternative spaces, such as in Texas, South Carolina, Georgia, etc? That would be “magical.”

Comment

The question is how will Disney retaliate? Can they start to look for alternative spaces, such as in Texas, South Carolina, Georgia, etc? That would be “magical.”
              I think that is unlikely--it costs so much to build up what they have built in Orlando. I think a more practical move is to throw tons of money at getting out of power those that voted to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I think that is unlikely--it costs so much to build up what they have built in Orlando. I think a more practical move is to throw tons of money at getting out of power those that voted to do this.
                It is impractical, I agree. But they can't just sit there and let them be pushed around as a political pawn.

Comment

It is impractical, I agree. But they can't just sit there and let them be pushed around as a political pawn.
                  They can wait them out and maneuver to get more favorable people in office for their business. Plus, all the places you named, they'd run into the same sort of political issues.

Comment

Does it feel to anyone like a freedom of speech violation - the government punishing a company because they don't like what they said? I don't know where this falls legally but it sure feels like it. Or worse, If Disney said it would suspend political donations, then that means those donations are bribes, no? Either way it just shows what a crooked system we have in place.

Comment

Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                      Does it feel to anyone like a freedom of speech violation - the government punishing a company because they don't like what they said? I don't know where this falls legally but it sure feels like it. Or worse, If Disney said it would suspend political donations, then that means those donations are bribes, no? Either way it just shows what a crooked system we have in place.
                      I'm sure it was not explicitly stated that the change was retaliation for speaking out against the bill. Everyone knows it to be the case but legally it's just a change of policy.

Comment

If I were Disney, I would say, "Fine. Play your game. See what these property owners due when they get tagged with the bill."

In my reading, this is going to cost a lot of jobs at Disney, as well. That won't bode well in the long run.

Total political stunt that will have backlash on citizens, but Republicans don't seem to care, as their actions play to their base.

I have voted for Republicans, Democrats and independents in the past. I can no longer support anyone that has an "R" attached to them.
                        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

How does passing this bill help the people of Florida at all? All it can do is hurt.

Trump-crazed Republicans are just another reason to look at alternatives to Florida as a retirement destination.

Comment

Stories abound how young professionals are bypassing lucrative jobs in backwards states due to their crazed laws:

Comment

Working...
                            X