Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you move to an area that didn't fit you politically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you move to an area that didn't fit you politically?

Interesting question posed in my college buddies' text thread, as someone brought up a retirement destination and then mentioned if it was "too Trumpy" now.

Pre-Former Guy, I never gave this any thought at all. But Former Guy has brought out the crazies for good, not only in public but in office. I had always earmarked Florida as a likely retirement destination, but with the endless Trumptards and DeathSantis, I'm not sure I would enjoy it any more. I'm not ruling it out, but it's been knocked down a few pegs.

Problem is, most of the retirement destination areas are in states I no longer really want to bother with.

Would it bother you?

Not at all. I lived in Madison, WI, and Charlotte. Enjoyed both areas. Would move back to either, no question.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I feel like i'm already in that area in Western PA with all of the Trump supporters here. Still not sure how Biden won PA. But, i'll take it lol. Maybe it was all those extra ballots that i mailed in.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

As someone who is getting ready to relocate, I can say it absolutely matters to us.

I used to live in Coeur d'Alene, ID. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, but I saw it reverting to a haven for Uber conservatives, Ex LEOs and a return to its White Supremist ways so we moved, that was 11 years ago and I'm glad we did.

Now my wife and I are not only deciding where she wants to get her advanced degrees, we're deciding where bour endgame will play out--Our final homestead. We looked at several places as she has been/will be accepted to every program she's applied to.

She's settled on University of Arizona in Tucson and the politics of the area definitely came into play. University of Texas was a potential choice, but the Politics worked against that choice even with Austin being very liberal the State just has too many aggressive conservatives and there's no place you can go (near Austin) to avoid them/

Tucson provides a diverse and openminded community with forward thinking politics AND Land to get away or at least put a decent amount of room between us and the crazies, which is definitely a concern to us.

So yeah, I would never choose to live amongst people whose ideology is diametrically opposed to mine. I'd make the best of it if I had no choice, but all things being equal--It's absolutely matters to us.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Not at all. I lived in Madison, WI, and Charlotte. Enjoyed both areas. Would move back to either, no question.
          Apologies if you've answered before, but where did you live here in the CLT area? We've been here nearly 8 years now and really do enjoy it. I have no plans to return to Florida for residency and don't plan on leaving this area unless something opened up in Hendersonville that was too good to ignore. We do love our trips up to that area, but otherwise find ourselves wonderfully situated here in suburbia CLT.

Politically, this climate isn't much different than what I had in east Orlando. I am at least more involved here as I now sit on the town's education advisory committee, so look for a no bunting PE curriculum soon

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            University of Texas was a potential choice, but the Politics worked against that choice even with Austin being very liberal the State just has too many aggressive conservatives
            Have you seen the "University of Austin" that is supposedly working towards becoming accredited?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              Apologies if you've answered before, but where did you live here in the CLT area? We've been here nearly 8 years now and really do enjoy it. I have no plans to return to Florida for residency and don't plan on leaving this area unless something opened up in Hendersonville that was too good to ignore. We do love our trips up to that area, but otherwise find ourselves wonderfully situated here in suburbia
              I was in Charlotte city limits, SW side. North of the Ballantine area (most of which was being built while I was there), and west of Calvary Chapel on Pineville-Matthews. Didn’t have to go downtown for work, so it was a great place to live. Had to move for work back to Wisconsin after about four years in Charlotte, which was tough. really liked the area. And our HOA wasn’t psycho, either.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                I was in Charlotte city limits, SW side. North of the Ballantine area (most of which was being built while I was there), and west of Calvary Chapel on Pineville-Matthews. Didn’t have to go downtown for work, so it was a great place to live. Had to move for work back to Wisconsin after about four years in Charlotte, which was tough. really liked the area. And our HOA wasn’t psycho, either.
                Ah - that's a good area for sure. Not much has changed in the area in the time I've been here. I'm out closer to the Union County line at the south end of Matthews where it has now become 55+ living land as they've added 3 new complexes on top of the one that existed off Pineville-Matthews just before Monroe. We have an awesome HOA here that encourages community activity and isn't out looking for every trash can not 100% hidden behind the fence, etc. My brother in Fort Mill gets cited by his at least once a month for stuff like his grill behind halfway on the grass in his back yard, or his trash can still there at sundown (he works late.)

OMG, I'm only 6 years away from that demographic!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Interesting question posed in my college buddies' text thread, as someone brought up a retirement destination and then mentioned if it was "too Trumpy" now.

Pre-Former Guy, I never gave this any thought at all. But Former Guy has brought out the crazies for good, not only in public but in office. I had always earmarked Florida as a likely retirement destination, but with the endless Trumptards and DeathSantis, I'm not sure I would enjoy it any more. I'm not ruling it out, but it's been knocked down a few pegs.

Problem is, most of the retirement destination areas are in states I no longer really want to bother with.

Would it bother you?
                  I have no plans to move from the house I have been in for the last 25 years. I am in Lake County Illinois 6 miles south of the Wisconsin border. Due to very high property taxes, we may be forced to move out of county when I stop working. I do not want to stop working.

I would like to think if we decided to move the political climate would have very little to do with it.

Comment

Since I consider that a significant percentage of the country tends toward one idiotic political extreme or the other, I guess I already live in an area that doesnt fit me politically.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Would it bother you?
                      I've lived all over the country, mostly when I was a kid (CA, TX, Arkansas, Michigan, Virginia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas and Washington). I don't think politics ever played a part in where my parents moved us as kids. Sadly it would be consideration now if I were to move, though not the biggest factor. If I had a place I loved due to activities, culture, job opporunity, environment, etc. I would not rule it out due to politics. It's sad that our country is so divided. I wonder how much of that is due to the vocal minority on each side (or on the other side for all you red and blue loyalists)...and how do we make it better ?
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Most places are mixed politically. I have lived in places that are overall more conservative than me most of my life with few issues, even with next door neighbors who were die hard Fox News watchers. A place would have to be both extreme and overt in its beliefs for me to blackball it solely for its politics. Most places I have lived, most people keep to themselves when it comes to politics (including me), although the number of Trump flags in my current neighborhood was depressing to see (not overwhelming, but enough...maybe 1 in 8), and Trump definitely shifted my thoughts on this from, I don't care all that much, to it is definitely a factor, but still not the top factor. Of course, if I were retiring, that takes the job out of the equation, and also frees up time where I may want to socialize with neighbors and others in the community more, so I think politics would be a bigger factor for me at that point. But even then, I still think most places of any decent size are mixed and you can find your niche in most places.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          Ah - that's a good area for sure. Not much has changed in the area in the time I've been here. I'm out closer to the Union County line at the south end of Matthews where it has now become 55+ living land as they've added 3 new complexes on top of the one that existed off Pineville-Matthews just before Monroe. We have an awesome HOA here that encourages community activity and isn't out looking for every trash can not 100% hidden behind the fence, etc. My brother in Fort Mill gets cited by his at least once a month for stuff like his grill behind halfway on the grass in his back yard, or his trash can still there at sundown (he works late.)

OMG, I'm only 6 years away from that demographic!
                          LOL on Fort Mill HOA's. When we were originally looking at houses, we looked at one in a new neighborhood there - huge buildout called "Baxter". About eight couples, including us, went out for a tour of the houses available during that phase of the buildout. Got to the Q&A phase of the tour, and one guy asked about leaving cars in the driveway since they had a 17 year old son who already had graduated and was taking a year to work to earn money before he went to college. After our guide responded that would, OF COURSE, NOT BE ALLOWED, I asked to see the HOA rules. She gets out a book - and I mean a book, easily 200 pages long.

Yeah, we passed.

Know the area you're in for sure - wife taught out that way, in Union County, but only about a half mile from the county line.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            Most places are mixed politically. I have lived in places that are overall more conservative than me most of my life with few issues, even with next door neighbors who were die hard Fox News watchers. A place would have to be both extreme and overt in its beliefs for me to blackball it solely for its politics. Most places I have lived, most people keep to themselves when it comes to politics (including me), although the number of Trump flags in my current neighborhood was depressing to see (not overwhelming, but enough...maybe 1 in 8), and Trump definitely shifted my thoughts on this from, I don't care all that much, to it is definitely a factor, but still not the top factor. Of course, if I were retiring, that takes the job out of the equation, and also frees up time where I may want to socialize with neighbors and others in the community more, so I think politics would be a bigger factor for me at that point. But even then, I still think most places of any decent size are mixed and you can find your niche in most places.
                            Generally agree with this, but I'd also be concerned about moving places where they're banning books, screaming at school boards about the CRT myth, trying to stack election boards, gerrymandering, supporting the overthrow of our government, suppressing votes, putting bounties on people for "aiding and abetting" abortion and generally crapping on the Constitution. I mean, I don't want to live around a bunch of Trump supporters because he's a fucking psychopathic, racist cunt and how the hell could I enjoy being around people who support psychopathic, racist cunts or are that way themselves, but it's much more than just that. Also, in the current environment there's no way I would head off to one of those DeSantis/Abbott/Ducey states with their dangerous, regressive ideas about COVID, masks, and whatnot.
                            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              I've lived all over the country, mostly when I was a kid (CA, TX, Arkansas, Michigan, Virginia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas and Washington). I don't think politics ever played a part in where my parents moved us as kids. Sadly it would be consideration now if I were to move, though not the biggest factor. If I had a place I loved due to activities, culture, job opporunity, environment, etc. I would not rule it out due to politics. It's sad that our country is so divided. I wonder how much of that is due to the vocal minority on each side (or on the other side for all you red and blue loyalists)...and how do we make it better ?
                              Not sure. Remember when Romney lost in '12 and he was photographed filling up his own gas the next day? It's like "well, we lost, but there's always next year. Go get 'em, cowboy!" That's how it always was. But with the jackass, it's now "we're going to brainwash 60% of our voters that the other side cheated and cause a civil war-like hatred." I put this squarely on his fucking head.

I could not at all imagine retiring to a place like The Villages in Orlando, and having a vocal political climate among retirees, ramming each other with golf carts.

Comment

Working...
                              X