Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you move to an area that didn't fit you politically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

If it's about voting tendencies, this list makes more sense:
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...onal-district/
    These lists always reinforce the notion to me that I'd much rather live in pretty much any Democrat state than any Republican state. The most Republican states are also essentially the bottom of my list, with apologies to Wyoming and North Dakota and Oklahoma and the entire South. But Massachusetts or Hawaii or California? Sure!
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      I wonder what the criteria were.
      Here they are:

The Center for Politics at the University of Virginia has come up with another way to rank the states in terms of their partisan leans -- and it comes down to this longtime political maxim: Demography is destiny.

The Center for Politics used three criteria to rank the states demographically:

1) What percentage of the state's residents 25 or older have bachelor's degrees or higher?

2) What percentage of the state's residents are White?

3) How urban or rural is the state?
      https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/11/polit...tes/index.html
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        Thanks, that's helpful.

It's an interesting way to approach the question. I can see where that might illuminate some things that the traditional "voter lean" approach might miss, but I can also see where it could miss some things. I wonder for the demographic approach whether some sort of religious affiliation factor might help them sort some of that out.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Interesting article on topic:

SMETHPORT, Pa. (AP) — Some Democrats here in rural Pennsylvania are afraid to tell you they’re Democrats.

The party’s brand is so toxic in the small towns 100 miles northeast of Pittsburgh that some liberals have removed bumper stickers and yard signs and refuse to acknowledge their party affiliation publicly. These Democrats are used to being outnumbered by the local Republican majority, but as their numbers continue to dwindle, the few that remain are feeling increasingly isolated and unwelcome in their own communities.

“The hatred for Democrats is just unbelievable,” said Tim Holohan, an accountant based in rural McKean County who recently encouraged his daughter to get rid of a pro-Joe Biden bumper sticker. “I feel like we’re on the run.”

The climate across rural Pennsylvania is symptomatic of a larger political problem threatening the Democratic Party ahead of the 2022 midterm elections. Beyond losing votes in virtually every election since 2008, Democrats have been effectively ostracized from many parts of rural America, leaving party leaders with few options to reverse a cultural trend that is redefining the nation's political landscape.
          Some Democrats in rural Pennsylvania are afraid to tell you they’re Democrats. “The hatred for Democrats is just unbelievable,” said Tim Holohan, an accountant based in rural McKean County who recently encouraged his daughter to get rid of a pro-Joe Biden bumper sticker. The climate across rural Pennsylvania is symptomatic of a larger political problem threatening the Democratic Party heading into the November elections.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            Interesting article on topic:

SMETHPORT, Pa. (AP) — Some Democrats here in rural Pennsylvania are afraid to tell you they’re Democrats.

The party’s brand is so toxic in the small towns 100 miles northeast of Pittsburgh that some liberals have removed bumper stickers and yard signs and refuse to acknowledge their party affiliation publicly. These Democrats are used to being outnumbered by the local Republican majority, but as their numbers continue to dwindle, the few that remain are feeling increasingly isolated and unwelcome in their own communities.

“The hatred for Democrats is just unbelievable,” said Tim Holohan, an accountant based in rural McKean County who recently encouraged his daughter to get rid of a pro-Joe Biden bumper sticker. “I feel like we’re on the run.”

The climate across rural Pennsylvania is symptomatic of a larger political problem threatening the Democratic Party ahead of the 2022 midterm elections. Beyond losing votes in virtually every election since 2008, Democrats have been effectively ostracized from many parts of rural America, leaving party leaders with few options to reverse a cultural trend that is redefining the nation's political landscape.
            https://news.yahoo.com/brand-toxic-d...052403735.html
            During the 2020 election campaign in my area, people with Biden signs on their lawn were not only getting their signs stolen or damaged, but their houses and vehicles were being vandalized as well. So, yeah that article sounds about right. Meanwhile in 2022, The "Fuck Biden" signs are becoming more prevalent in our area. And not just the lawn signs. Just the other day i saw one in the form of a window decal on a pickup truck. Trump supporters are very butthurt right now.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              Trump supporters are very butthurt right now.
              My guess is literally and figuratively.

Comment

Which one of you wrote this?

America is growing more geographically polarized — red ZIP codes are getting redder and blue ZIP codes are becoming bluer. People appear to be sorting.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  Johnny Dickshot would never mention "munching on barbecued weenies" if that helps narrow it down
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    nobody cared. It's kind of like heaven on earth.

ummmm... okay

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

ummmm... okay
                      they say that about west virginia too.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

ummmm... okay
                        There is an alarming non-COVID fact highlighted in the article--it suggests there is a massive movement of conservatives into Texas, attracted by its anti-reproductive rights and anti-mask and anti-vaccine rights. I thought Texas could be in play nationally by 2028, butt not if a bunch of conservatives are moving there bolstering their numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          There is an alarming non-COVID fact highlighted in the article--it suggests there is a massive movement of conservatives into Texas, attracted by its anti-reproductive rights and anti-mask and anti-vaccine rights. I thought Texas could be in play nationally by 2028, butt not if a bunch of conservatives are moving there bolstering their numbers.
                          yuck, where do I go now

Comment

yuck, where do I go now
                            I imagine the experience there is a lot like it was for me when I lived in Louisville. Seas of red with dense little cities of blue. Although, in Kentucky, it is just one city of purplish blue--Louisville. In Texas, the top five largest cities in Texas leaned Biden in the last election. But with so much space to stretch out, the rural areas are still gonna win out in terms of state laws and state-wide and national elections. Laws and government leaders aside, I imagine it is pretty easy to live blue in the big cities.

ETA: I've always imagined Austin is a pretty awesome city to live in.

Comment

yuck, where do I go now
                              You are also free to crash on my couch, Ken.
                              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                                You are also free to crash on my couch, Ken.
                                Thanks! But the wife and 2 kids and 2 bulldogs would make it a tad stuffy

Comment

Working...
                                X