Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you move to an area that didn't fit you politically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Generally agree with this, but I'd also be concerned about moving places where they're banning books, screaming at school boards about the CRT myth, trying to stack election boards, gerrymandering, supporting the overthrow of our government, suppressing votes, putting bounties on people for "aiding and abetting" abortion and generally crapping on the Constitution. I mean, I don't want to live around a bunch of Trump supporters because he's a fucking psychopathic, racist cunt and how the hell could I enjoy being around people who support psychopathic, racist cunts or are that way themselves, but it's much more than just that. Also, in the current environment there's no way I would head off to one of those DeSantis/Abbott/Ducey states with their dangerous, regressive ideas about COVID, masks, and whatnot.
    You are right; it isn't just about having neighbors you don't agree with. I used to live in Florida. My sister still does. She is so frustrated by the banning of all mask mandates in schools. She sends her three kids to school every day and she none of the kids wear masks or engage in any kind of social distancing. Despite my county being fairly red, my state is very blue, so large scale policies like that would never happen here. Having kids certainly makes local politics a factor. I have a friend who lives in Georgia and he is really worried about what is happening there with voting laws. I'd hate to live in an area where I thought my vote didn't count. Of course, sadly, that is exactly what the right has been peddling to their constituents since Trump lost. There is so much BS out there and so many choose to believe it, it is scary. I started reading a book called Calling Bullshit that is a pretty good read so far on how this has evolved and what can be done about it. Sadly, despite is overtly trying to be apolitical, it won't be read by those that need it most.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      LOL on Fort Mill HOA's. When we were originally looking at houses, we looked at one in a new neighborhood there - huge buildout called "Baxter". About eight couples, including us, went out for a tour of the houses available during that phase of the buildout. Got to the Q&A phase of the tour, and one guy asked about leaving cars in the driveway since they had a 17 year old son who already had graduated and was taking a year to work to earn money before he went to college. After our guide responded that would, OF COURSE, NOT BE ALLOWED, I asked to see the HOA rules. She gets out a book - and I mean a book, easily 200 pages long.

Yeah, we passed.

Know the area you're in for sure - wife taught out that way, in Union County, but only about a half mile from the county line.
      Yep - my brother is just down the road from Baxter Village area. I get the theory of HOA's, but the practice of them has mostly been a nightmare in my experience. The one I had in Florida was incredibly controlling as they were bitter that investors bought up housing inventory and turned it into rentals for college students because the neighborhood was built in 1994 next to UCF (which was founded in 1963). There were already 35K students at UCF in the mid 90's when I was there, so the HOA got reactionary and started writing many college-specific rules so that regular folks in the neighborhood got treated like kids. It wasn't bad the first 18 months I was there, but once UCF opened up on the stadium on campus and students started using the houses as the launching point for gameday, the HOA board lost their mind. I went to one meeting and was asked not to come back

Comment

Currently in the most conservative city in the union. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Hell no.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

is it easier for a black person to live in a white neighborhood, or a white person to live in a black neighborhood; is it easier for a poor person to live in a rich neighborhood, or a rich person to live in a poor neighborhood; is it easier to live in a male neighborhood or a female one? is it easier for a liberal to live in a conservative neighborhood or a conservative to live in a liberal one.

again, it's all about perspective. it's never unanimous when it's subjective. personally, i would choose being a male living in a female neighborhood. which would make a great Netflix series. yet, that would be more like the Hallmark Channel. still, it would probably last at least one season.

Comment

for the record some say Suffolk County Massachusetts is the most liberal county in the US. i am afraid to say the common denominator is money.

Comment

from my experience it's easier for a liberal to live in a conservative one. unless one of them is a pot head and misplaces his gun and accuses you of stealing it. and you try to explain you're liberal and even then, they don't believe you. but mostly they don't really give a shit. they just want to know if you are going to fix the tractor, or ball joint in your RV. they care more about results than conjecture. and when the shit hits the fan, they take things mostly in stride.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                from my experience it's easier for a liberal to live in a conservative one. unless one of them is a pot head and misplaces his gun and accuses you of stealing it. and you try to explain you're liberal and even then, they don't believe you. but mostly they don't really give a shit. they just want to know if you are going to fix the tractor, or ball joint in your RV. they care more about results than conjecture. and when the shit hits the fan, they take things mostly in stride.
                This lib has quite an arsenal. That said, I still don't want to live near those kooks (but within 30 miles of a gun range, thanks).

Funny, one thing I hadn't considered before is that many states don't have legalized sports wagering yet. I'm not going to go as far and say that's a dealbreaker, but it is a major red flag.

Comment

One of the things I really liked about living in Austin was that I interacted with people all across the political and cultural spectrum, from very conservative to very liberal and everywhere in between, and everyone was pretty much okay with each other. That was 10 years ago, so maybe that has changed.

I don't like that Texas as a state government has abandoned the basic laissez-faire approach and embraced full-on Trump Christian nationalist insanity. That has made me question my desire to continue to live here, but I don't know where else I would go. I like Texas culturally. I could move to Atlanta for my job, but I don't like the racist class structures in the deep South. I have enjoyed living in California the times I've lived there, but I don't think I can afford to do that. I don't think I really have a place where I fit well both politically and culturally.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    One of the things I really liked about living in Austin was that I interacted with people all across the political and cultural spectrum, from very conservative to very liberal and everywhere in between, and everyone was pretty much okay with each other. That was 10 years ago, so maybe that has changed.

I don't like that Texas as a state government has abandoned the basic laissez-faire approach and embraced full-on Trump Christian nationalist insanity. That has made me question my desire to continue to live here, but I don't know where else I would go. I like Texas culturally. I could move to Atlanta for my job, but I don't like the racist class structures in the deep South. I have enjoyed living in California the times I've lived there, but I don't think I can afford to do that. I don't think I really have a place where I fit well both politically and culturally.
                    You can crash on my couch anytime, bro.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                      You can crash on my couch anytime, bro.
                      Thanks, man.

Would I fit well politically and culturally on your couch?
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        Thanks, man.

Would I fit well politically and culturally on your couch?
                        My couch eats fascists. I think you’re good!

Comment

Comment

The 10 most Democratic-friendly states:
                            1. Maryland
                            2. New Jersey
                            3. New York
                            4. California
                            5. Massachusetts
                            6. Hawaii
                            7. Connecticut
                            7. Illinois
                            9. Virginia
                            10. Colorado

The 10 most Republican-friendly states:
                            1. West Virginia
                            2. Wyoming
                            3. Kentucky
                            4. South Dakota
                            4. Idaho
                            4. North Dakota
                            4. Iowa
                            8. Montana
                            9. Maine
                            10. Arkansas
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              The 10 most Democratic-friendly states:
                              1. Maryland
                              Interesting in that Maryland has a Republican governor (although a very good one, I might add).

Comment

I wonder what the criteria were. Maryland doesn't make sense to me at the very top of the Democratic list. Illinois, Virginia, and Colorado may make sense in some of their cities (e.g., Chicago, DC metro, Denver/Boulder), but I'm not sure that would be true in general across those states. I'm surprised Maine comes in ahead of Oklahoma on the Republican-friendly list. I guess maybe it depends on what is meant by "friendly"? Is it about policies or is it about most of the other voters being like you?

If it's about voting tendencies, this list makes more sense:
                                Last fall, Joe Biden became the first Democratic presidential candidate to win Arizona since 1996 and the first to carry Georgia since 1992. But does this mean …

Comment

Working...
                                X