CCP-controlled YouTube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCP-controlled YouTube?

Something just happened which is potentially very disturbing. I just tried to post something on a YT video and got a message "Comment failed to post". I had never had this happen before but at first I thought this was just an innocuous glitch. So I refreshed the page and tried again but got the same thing. A third try yielded the same. The video is titled "WTA suspends tennis tournaments in China over Peng Shuai's safety concerns | Latest English News". It is about the WTA's recent decision to suspend all tournaments from being held in China because of the treatment of one of their players, Shuai Peng, who is from China. The WTA is the Womens Tennis Association. The YT channel is an Indian one called WION which presents news from an Indian perspective.

In case you havent heard, Ms. Peng made a post on her social media about being sexually assaulted by a former top CCP (Chinese Communist Party) official. The Chinese government quickly scrubbed the post but not before it circulated widely in China and Ms. Peng has not been heard from directly since. The rest of the world quickly got informed about it thru social media and other WTA members made posts in social media condemning what happened to Ms. Peng and expressed concerns for her safety. These included very prominent players, like Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka and many others. The head of the WTA, Steve Simon, made several attempts to correspond directly w Ms. Peng thru all the contact info he had for her but has been unable to contact her.

Here is my attempted post in its entirety.

Kudos to the WTA! Hopefully the ATP will do likewise. If only the NBA had the integrity and guts to do this.

Pretty tame, right? No foul or incendiary language, no hate speech, etc. Not even political at all. Just voicing a heartfelt opinion re: a human rights issue.

Now, it's still possible that this is just some glitch but I have commented on YT videos hundreds if not thousands of times and this is the first time I've seen this. From viewing videos on other YT channels, I know that YT routinely demonetizes and sometimes even removes content critical of the CCP. Also, there are bot and "wumao" accts w posts ridiculing the WTA's action which were allowed to post. Some of these are pretty hateful and what many today would call "racist" (towards India). So it looks pretty suspicious. The motive here for YT would be to not anger the Chinese gov't so that they could potentially make boatloads of money from the Chinese market. But let me point out that currently YT is banned in China.

In the last several years, I've been taking note of things going on in and re: China. Many times I have felt like speaking out about many of these things here but so far have refrained from doing so. I think I will start doing this now.

Edit: After I posted this, I find that I am now able to successfully make my post on this video and a lot of "wumao" and Chinese bot comments have been removed. Still very disturbing but at least someone at YT knows to do the right things at least sometimes. I will continue to check this video to see if my post remains up.

Edit 2: After reflection, I feel I should have posted this in the "Hot Topics" forum. What do you think?
    Last edited by rhd; 12-02-2021, 02:44 AM.

i always thought Comment failed to post means the spaghetti monster ate the binary packet. the first rule is you don't want to be the guy saying they banned my comment. no-one ever really believes them.

but i am not really one to talk. i once was trying to open a new laptop backwards,and couldn't do it. and heylander saved me from driving to walmart drunk. but didn't save me from trying to figure it out on the phone with someone in India. who was very helpful. he's probably still talking about the phone call today. it's on the order of is the power switch on or did you hit the 'any-key'.

Comment

the painful lesson here is when ppl complained and made meme's about the so-called lamestream media, they ended up being right. it was and early warning. it's also customary now to insert as favorite music video when trying to make a point.

and then there are times they complain about government planes flying in the air spreading gas. i forget what that was called. but then it turned out there were actually planes flying in the air for no reason but homeland security spying. or vaccinations in Pakistan trying to find Bin laden. yeah we got him, like we got Saddam living in a hole. and ppl in Pakistan will never trust vaccinations from us again. because there's always a small truth to everything.

Comment

one of the things that disturbed when when i went to community college was i had a republican teacher, i forget what she was teaching, but she was really big on Alvin Toffler's The Third Wave. she actually sold me on the idea that automation was bad. which is such an old idea that most students would think it wouldn't exist anymore.

i remember watching her alone. not in a devious way. but in a curious one. she had taken a lot of shit being a conservative in a liberal school. and i could see her wresting with herself and the ideas she believed in. and today i think, my god, what if they were right.

Comment

Dunno that I'd call YouTube CCP controlled - influenced, yes, but controlled, no. The enormous income stream that comes from the CCP definitely influences behavior - as you've noted, it shows through the NBA, and I'm sure the management team in charge of YouTube doesn't want to see a multi-billion market go away just because of some silly concept like human rights. Yes, that's sarcasm

OTOH, there's still tons of content on YouTube that, if truly CCP controlled, would not exist.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Comment

Rush sucks, nully.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Rush sucks, nully.
                i miss Bob. i'd follow his opinion everywhere. but Rush only sucks because they are the only band with only one love song. they have no chicks at their concerts.

Comment

you know how they say, you have to pick your battles?

whenever the US tries to fight a battle, we always bring our money. against Mao and communism is backfired. and in Vietnam. when we bring our power we bring our money. i find China sort of interesting. they are fighting the internal battle we never waged. and it's a 12,000-year battle. it's been being fought since the beginning of so-called civilization.

obviously communalism is bad. yet, does democracy and communism in terms even exist?...corruption, that exists. it's older.

you can't defeat something, if you can't define it's motives.

Comment

"Long live Flash. You saved your earth. Have a nice day".

Comment

i once tried to make an account hans zarkov. it didn't make it. i would've just been happy making random arbitrary flash gordon reference, in cognito, for the rest of my tenure. i think he is a very underrated character in flash gordon. back in the day this was an expensive Queen CD.

Comment

Rush sucks, nully.
                        Who can't appreciate the drumming of Neil Peart?!

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          Who can't appreciate the drumming of Neil Peart?!
                          It's drowned out by the banshee wailing of Geddy Lee. Actually, comparing Geddy's vocals to banshees is a pretty serious insult to banshees.

Comment

It's drowned out by the banshee wailing of Geddy Lee. Actually, comparing Geddy's vocals to banshees is a pretty serious insult to banshees.
                            Chance is a music buffoon! He still cannot understand the brilliance of Alex Lifeson as one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time!!!
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              Chance is a music buffoon! He still cannot understand the brilliance of Alex Lifeson as one of the most overrated rock guitarists of all time!!!
                              Fixed.

Rush sucks, Mith.

Comment

Working...
                              X