Get Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get Back

Who's seen it? I thought it was mostly excellent. I especially enjoyed John's banter for the unrealized TV special. And watching the creative process unfold was fascinating. I do think they could have trimmed it a bit more but that's a minor quibble.

We might have to organize another Beatles song draft now and afterwards debate if their catalogue is better than the Mighty Zep.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

It certainly is bigger. 213 or 227 depending on who you read. Approximately 25 cover songs in that 223 figure.

Comment

Almost done with part 1. I found it amazing how, assuming it wasn't overly edited, Paul was just riffing while sitting there, mumbling along to what would eventually become the song "Get Back." And just like that a classic appeared.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Almost done with part 1. I found it amazing how, assuming it wasn't overly edited, Paul was just riffing while sitting there, mumbling along to what would eventually become the song "Get Back." And just like that a classic appeared.
        Almost done with it in the entirety.

You'll be surprised just how many classics came out of that one month and in the same manner as Let it Be....simple astounding.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Their creative genius is certainly amazing to behold, but it shouldn't be surprising given how incredibly prolific they were. In just seven years, they released 14 LPs plus another two LPs worth of singles that weren't included on their albums.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Their creative genius is certainly amazing to behold, but it shouldn't be surprising given how incredibly prolific they were. In just seven years, they released 14 LPs plus another two LPs worth of singles that weren't included on their albums.
            And yet some people out there call the overrated...
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it. I've always found it fascinating how a band can go from I Wanna Hold Your Hand to Helter Skelter in under 5 years.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                And yet some people out there call the overrated...
                I've never understood that. For the most part, they're not my cup of tea, but that at least three of them are brilliant musicians is simply undeniable.

Looking forward to seeing it. I've always found it fascinating how a band can go from I Wanna Hold Your Hand to Helter Skelter in under 5 years.
                I'm not sure what others think, but my betting line is "drugs".
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Who's seen it? I thought it was mostly excellent. I especially enjoyed John's banter for the unrealized TV special. And watching the creative process unfold was fascinating. I do think they could have trimmed it a bit more but that's a minor quibble.

We might have to organize another Beatles song draft now and afterwards debate if their catalogue is better than the Mighty Zep.
                  I'm in for that draft!!
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Heresy!!!! Prepare the fire pit and stake for burning!
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I just got "The Beatles Anthology" box set (10 hours) from 1995 and plan on watching that one soon. I guess i'm a few years behind lol. I'll be waiting for "Get Back" to come out on DVD next year.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        I've never understood that. For the most part, they're not my cup of tea, but that at least three of them are brilliant musicians is simply undeniable.

I'm not sure what others think, but my betting line is "drugs".
                        My favourite Paul McCartney story is from their LSD days. Paul was adamant that he had discovered the secret to the universe, so he wrote it down on a piece of paper and gave it to a friend. He told the friend "guard this with your life." Some time later, Paul is approached by his friend who explains the story and hands him the piece of paper.

The only thing written on the paper: "there are 7 levels."
                        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Finally watched this over the past few nights - really well done. I don't think of myself as a big fan but their musical genius really came through; and the interpersonal dynamics were fascinating to watch. Had to remind myself that even though they had gone through almost 10 years of being the Beatles & everything that entailed, they still were only in their late 20's at this point.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                          X