What to do with deGrom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Interesting, I'll have to give it some more thought, but most of the aces are locked up so he's going to draw heavy interest. Last year he went for $50 and several owners were grumbling about not bidding more.
    1st throw is always cheaper than it should be, you would want to wait until a couple other names get out there and prices come up to normal levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      What's your league's inflation?
      I would say about 20-25% but we can't count on it for individual players.

What service do you use to establish base value?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I would say about 20-25% but we can't count on it for individual players.
        You're mixing price with value when you say can't count on it. What a player will end up costing isn't the question, it's what he's worth (or, at minimum, what you are projecting that he's worth).

What service do you use to establish base value?
        Numerous services, mostly my own data analysis based on the big projection systems. But they all end up in the same general range the majority of the time.

Comment

1st throw is always cheaper than it should be, you would want to wait until a couple other names get out there and prices come up to normal levels.
          I don't think that's the case anymore in experienced leagues, or at least not close to always. DeGrom may be an exception because I imagine there is going to be a lot of hesitancy in bidding him way up (and for good reason, imo). Hard to gauge what's "cheap" for DeGrom, honestly.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            I don't think that's the case anymore in experienced leagues, or at least not close to always. DeGrom may be an exception because I imagine there is going to be a lot of hesitancy in bidding him way up (and for good reason, imo). Hard to gauge what's "cheap" for DeGrom, honestly.
            Sorry, I was speaking about generalities in absolutes, however it tends to be the case even in the most experienced leagues.

Comment

Sorry, I was speaking about generalities in absolutes, however it tends to be the case even in the most experienced leagues.
              Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                Yeah, he was one of the 1st three players tossed and he went for $51. Nola was tossed a round later and went for $47.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Yeah, he was one of the 1st three players tossed and he went for $51. Nola was tossed a round later and went for $47.
                  Wait, what? That statement agrees with what I said, why would it start with "yeah"? Confusing.

If Nola's $47 is the standard price, DeGrom was cheap last year at $51. He was typically valued by the market at $10-$15 more than Nola. Add in the inflation that you'd need to get to those prices and, wow, DeGrom was super cheap in your league. Which apparently you don't want this year.

Comment

Wait, what? That statement agrees with what I said, why would it start with "yeah"? Confusing.

If Nola's $47 is the standard price, DeGrom was cheap last year at $51. He was typically valued by the market at $10-$15 more than Nola. Add in the inflation that you'd need to get to those prices and, wow, DeGrom was super cheap in your league. Which apparently you don't want this year.
                    Sorry for throwing you off with the word "yeah". I also said I would have to re-consider my initial plan to toss him out first. A couple more data points Scherzer for $44 and Bauer for $41. When only a few aces are available, it's hard to make definitive statements about what their relative prices mean.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      I hate guys like this, not that there have ever been many guys like this. And by "like this" I mean a guy who, if healthy, could very easily be the #1 fantasy producer in baseball, but also a guy for whom that if is a very big if. The risk at that price point is so high. I've been burnt by high priced pitchers before, so I doubt I land him, even though he could easily out earn that $50 price tag, depending on your inflation rate.

For me, it comes down to these two questions: can you win in 2022 and if so, how much risk do you think you need to take to win in 2022? For me, the ideal landing spot for Degrom is a good team that needs someone who could be the best pitcher in baseball to really be a contender. He is not ideal for a clear favorite who should mitigate risk as much as possible, and he should not be bought by a rebuilding who has no chance of winning, because even if he is great early, his trade market might be depressed due to the potential for injury and that money would be better spent on safer players you can trade down the line.
                      He's the Christian McCaffrey of baseball. BTW, in fantasy football, there have been many "DeGrom types" who went top 3 based on talent but came with extreme injury woes.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Who's being hunted in the Enchanted Forest by an evil Wizard called Tommy John.

Low to mid-30s, I'd go there. At about $35 in an auction, I'm out on DeGrom.
                        I am not saying anyone should keep him at 50, just pointing out that the only reason it might be considered is deGrom has HISTORIC talent and performance. Proven by FORENSICS.
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          I am not saying anyone should keep him at 50, just pointing out that the only reason it might be considered is deGrom has HISTORIC talent and performance. Proven by FORENSICS.
                          and he didn't have a tear. It was just inflamed.

Comment

and he didn't have a tear. It was just inflamed.
                            Just a flesh wound!
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              He's the Christian McCaffrey of baseball. BTW, in fantasy football, there have been many "DeGrom types" who went top 3 based on talent but came with extreme injury woes.
                              And that is one reason why I don't like fantasy football.

Comment

Working...
                              X