Taunting rule has got to be defined.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    I originally thought (and so did Marsh) that the celebratory high spin kick was the call. It was not. It was later explained that that the stare was the reason for the flag.

I am NOT saying this is evidence. I do find it strange that no one today that I can see thinks the stare was taunting. Present company excluded.

Now the focus is on the hip bump. Is this any kind of evidence of bias or worse?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1457923360545988613
    I'm continuing to ask though, why did he walk halfway across the field towards the opponent's sideline? A direction he wouldn't otherwise be going, a direction that included none of his teammates?

Players have been getting taunting penalties all season for a 1 second stare at the opponent they just tackled. How is this different. Is the *distance* between him and what he's staring at that's getting you? Because otherwise I'm not even seeing how there's a viable argument that he was not taunting.

You stare down your opponent, you get a flag. There are countless examples of this. I think many are thrown off because he was staring down the opposing sideline which was a distance away.

Comment

Maybe this will help:

Difference between taunting and excessive celebrations
      The NFL defines taunting as a deliberate act to another player, while excessive celebration is a celebration after a play that isn't aimed towards the opposing players.

So, flexing on an opposing player or cursing at an opposing player is taunting, while celebratory acts which aren't directed at other players is within the rules.
      IMO it's the walking halfway across the field staring down the other sideline that's the penalty here - celebrate with your teammates and you won't get penalized.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        I'm continuing to ask though, why did he walk halfway across the field towards the opponent's sideline? A direction he wouldn't otherwise be going, a direction that included none of his teammates?

Players have been getting taunting penalties all season for a 1 second stare at the opponent they just tackled. How is this different. Is the *distance* between him and what he's staring at that's getting you? Because otherwise I'm not even seeing how there's a viable argument that he was not taunting.

You stare down your opponent, you get a flag. There are countless examples of this. I think many are thrown off because he was staring down the opposing sideline which was a distance away.
        Yep, I am guilty of thinking distance matters (not being sarcastic either). If he stood over Ben after the sac I would not have posted this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Yep, I am guilty of thinking distance matters (not being sarcastic either). If he stood over Ben after the sac I would not have posted this.
          Makes sense. There's definitely no distance specified in the rules, so that's probably what's getting everyone. It's clear to me at least that he's staring down the sideline in the same taunting manner as any of those countless other players who have been flagged for taunting this year.

The rule is terrible, they should get rid of it.

Comment

Nobody went for the obvious "this was a HISTORIC taunt" joke, eh? All right, consider it taken now.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
              Nobody went for the obvious "this was a HISTORIC taunt" joke, eh? All right, consider it taken now.
              *an HISTORIC taunt
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Not to be confused with a FORENSIC taunt, utilized by approximately three teams.
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                  *an HISTORIC taunt
                  Yes, my mistake. I've made that mistake close to 20 times.

Comment

It was an historic win for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. Win #150. Second in team history only to Chuck Noll who has 193.
                    Last edited by madducks; 11-10-2021, 01:33 AM.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      an historic win
                      Nice.

Comment

Maybe it was because he was an ex Steeler and wanted to say Look at me now - should have kept me to some of his ex teammates - friends.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                          Maybe it was because he was an ex Steeler and wanted to say Look at me now - should have kept me to some of his ex teammates - friends.
                          Thank you. It's weird that I asked this question 4 or 5 times but got no answer until now.

Comment

Thank you. It's weird that I asked this question 4 or 5 times but got no answer until now.
                            I’d just assume most people have you on ignore. You’re pretty off-putting.

Comment

You just need a little patience.

The NFL Doesn't Believe the Official "Hip-Checked" Cassius Marsh, and Says the Taunting Call Was Correct.

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                                I’d just assume most people have you on ignore. You’re pretty off-putting.
                                It's true. I can drive decently and my iron game is solid but unless you put me within 5 feet I'm 3-putting.

Comment

Working...
                                X