No announcement yet.

CBA '21-'22 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"MLB remans dead set against lowering free agency from 6 years to 5. Part of the concern stems from the history of the big stars jumping from smaller markets to big markets when they hit free agency and belief this would hurt competitive balance." - Jon Heyman

Sure, just like Corey Seager jumping from small market, last place team Los Angeles Dodgers to big market, first place team Texas Rangers.

MLB ownership is the worst. I hope the players and the MLBPA whip up on them.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      "MLB remans dead set against lowering free agency from 6 years to 5. Part of the concern stems from the history of the big stars jumping from smaller markets to big markets when they hit free agency and belief this would hurt competitive balance." - Jon Heyman

Sure, just like Corey Seager jumping from small market, last place team Los Angeles Dodgers to big market, first place team Texas Rangers.

MLB ownership is the worst. I hope the players and the MLBPA whip up on them.
      As a fan, I want the average players to get paid more, but at the same time I hate the idea of losing another year. We get invested in home grown talent and it already feels like they leave too early!

Comment

Both sides are expected to meet again on Monday. MLB made a proposal last week that according to reports, MLBPA had a "very negative reaction" to, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Both sides are expected to meet again on Monday. MLB made a proposal last week that according to reports, MLBPA had a "very negative reaction" to, lol.
          From what I read, MLBPA has a counter offer to present

Comment

Are we witnessing progress?

Comment

Dropping the earlier free agency angle is a major development.

Comment

This is clearly the only thread that really matters around here....

Comment

Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic report that a new collective bargaining agreement between MLB and the MLBPA is "not close," putting the scheduled start of spring training "clearly in jeopardy."
                  The two sides have met a few times since mid-January and while it seems they've made incremental progress on some aspects, there is still plenty of work to be done in other major areas before a new CBA can be agreed upon. The "most contentious" issues, according to Rosenthal and Drellich, revolve around minimum salary, arbitration and pre-arbitration bonus pools, the luxury tax, a draft lottery and service-time manipulation. Spring training is currently slated to get underway in mid-February, but it's looking likely that it will be pushed back. Opening Day is scheduled for March 31.

SOURCE: The Athletic
                  Jan 31, 2022, 4:29 PM ET

Comment

The two groups of buffoons met again yesterday, and Evan Drellich said it was "heated." Next meeting TBD. And with pitchers and catchers supposed to report in 2 weeks, things are definitely coming down to the wire.

Comment

What does everyone think the current over/under on missed games is? I have a friend who is convinced there will be no season, which seems absurd to me. I could see them being dumb and dragging it on to the point where we might miss out on 20 or so games, though. That is my perception of worst case, but I know some folks think it can get worse than that.

Comment

Miss 60 games is my guess

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                          Miss 60 games is my guess
                          Miss no games is my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Miss no games is my guess.
                            Mine too. Miss a bunch of ST games but once the real threat of losing $$ hits the dunderheads, I think they will actually do something.

Comment

Miss no games. My prediction is similar to Pauly's, this will go until March 1-5, then they'll squeeze in ST and if they have to, delay the season a week (which would be incredibly bad optics, but then again, these idiots are used to that already).

Comment

I like you guys--you are an optimistic bunch. Compared to my sky is falling friend, anyway. I wish I had hard evidence to assuage his worries, as he is obsessed with baseball and he is really down, because he is just certain baseball is doomed. But I suppose it is the nature of negotiation tactics that both sides will play hardball until they don't. They have to posture and pretend they are not all keenly aware of the ticking clock and the tremendous stakes of dragging this on, if they want the other side to give ground. I still think they are dumb enough to miss some games, but not many. I am still holding out hope for none, and I also hope they don't rush ST too much, as we all have seen how that can increase injuries.

Comment

Working...
                                X