What to do with Verlander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Justin Verlander is not showing as a probable pitcher this week...anyone seen any news on why that may be ?
    I show him starting Friday against the A's.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
      I show him starting Friday against the A's.
      Thanks. What is the website? Fantasypros 7 day has Valdez starting 2 days this week....trying to figure out what is happening
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Thanks. What is the website? Fantasypros 7 day has Valdez starting 2 days this week....trying to figure out what is happening
        Rotowire. Haven't heard anything that he isn't starting.

Comment

Rotowire. Haven't heard anything that he isn't starting.
          Thanks...what do they have for Valdez?
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Valdez is Thur against the Angels.

Comment

Valdez is Thur against the Angels.
              Thanks !
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                Justin Verlander's $25 million player option for the 2023 season is conditional upon him reaching 130 innings pitched in 2022.
                Justin Verlander reached 130 IP back on August 4. I'm guessing that he exercises the option. Houston seems like a good gig for him. He will be 40 years old in 2023 and needs another 58 wins for 300. Perhaps he'll add one or two more wins to the 16 he already has this year.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Verlander has been amazing. Is he going to get another cy young as well as delivering the goods for the faithful in fantasy baseball?
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

5 innings, 10k, 1 BB tonight. I am sure he will get pulled early, but what a year
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

5 innings, 10k, 1 BB tonight. I am sure he will get pulled early, but what a year
                      And Verlander finishes the season with 18 wins in 28 starts. If he stays with the Astros, he may realize his previously stated goal of 300 career wins. He needs 56 more and will be 40 years old next year. He's one of the few pitchers that i think could pitch effectively into his mid-forties.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        Did anybody get a cheap lottery ticket/potential keeper with Verlander like i did? He will be 39 next year. But, in his last full season at age 36, Verlander won 21 games with 300 K's and a 2.58 era and a 0.80 whip. Since he was a former teammate of Gerrit Cole, i suspect that he was one of the pine tar users for grip enhancement. Oh yeah, he's also a free agent at the end of the post-season. So, how much regression are you expecting from Verlander in 2022?
                        this was an interesting thread...so what about 2023 ? Lot's of people probably had a cheap Verlander this year and need to consider extending. I'm thinking a one year extension so 12 bucks for the next two years...although part of me says just let him expire for 7 bucks and be glad for this year.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

this was an interesting thread...so what about 2023 ? Lot's of people probably had a cheap Verlander this year and need to consider extending. I'm thinking a one year extension so 12 bucks for the next two years...although part of me says just let him expire for 7 bucks and be glad for this year.
                          Father time is undefeated, but there is a history of very elite pitchers staying extremely good late in their career. He looked amazing all year. I made a mistake in thinking he represented too much risk to keep cheap and I traded him last year for a title run. If I had him now, I wouldn't make the mistake of betting against him again. If you think he has a good 2023, and there is nothing suggesting he will not, extending is a no brainer. Even if you think 2024 is the year he falls apart, you can easily trade him in-season for a ton or after 2023, assuming he avoids a major injury.

Comment

I'm with Sour Masher on this one. At $12, his ERA could double and WHIP increase by 30% and you'd still probably net a profit.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              Father time is undefeated, but there is a history of very elite pitchers staying extremely good late in their career. He looked amazing all year. I made a mistake in thinking he represented too much risk to keep cheap and I traded him last year for a title run. If I had him now, I wouldn't make the mistake of betting against him again. If you think he has a good 2023, and there is nothing suggesting he will not, extending is a no brainer. Even if you think 2024 is the year he falls apart, you can easily trade him in-season for a ton or after 2023, assuming he avoids a major injury.
                              Yeah, he sure seems like a guy not to bet against. Just a little nervous about the two year commitment at his age. But I agree with you and Chance that 2 years at 12 is the right call.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

And toss back the likely 2022 AL Cy Young winner? At 7 bucks? I wouldn't even have to think twice about extending Verlander for two years. The guy has a rebuilt elbow that's better than the one he had before. And this was only his first year back. I think he can continue at this level for at least two more years. Run...don't walk to extend Verlander for two years.

BTW: I'm keeping him at $6 & $11 the next two years.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X