Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: What to do with Verlander?

  1. #21
    MVP The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmallz View Post
    I disagree with the assessment about his upside. What upside are you expecting of a 40 y/o power pitcher? So many times we look back what a player did and just project that forward. Sure he was good in 2019 but he hasn't pitched in 2 years. He's not 24 where you just expect him to come back and be the same player physically. You have to bake in some level of skills regression and if it takes half a year for him to get his control what is that pitcher going to look like? Then what type of pitcher are you looking at in 2023? What about 2024? Compare that to a young flyer where you can potentially get a player who will be prodcutive for 5 or 6 years and someone with significant trade value even if he doesn't become a star. With age related skills decline and a limited # of seasons left in his career there's just not a ton upside here.

    IMO, betting on injured pitchers is one of the biggest mistakes most fanatasy managers make, often times the cost is too high for level of risk and reward you are taking on
    His upside is probably slightly worse than his last couple of healthy seasons, which is very, very good. or as Chance said "the upside is pretty clear - he's proven he can be a dominant, high K, low WHIP, low ERA, high Wins fantasy stud. ".

    EDIT: I will add that what i expect out of a player is not at all what his upside is. Verlander's upside is top 5 pitcher in all of baseball. But it isn't something anyone should expect or bid on. weigh the potential performance vs. the obviously high risk that he will have health or age issues that affect his performance. But I can't agree that he doesn't have more upside than your average $5 flyer that you get late in the draft.
    Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 11-11-2021 at 11:54 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

    -put it in the pantry with your cupcakes

  2. #22
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    31,721
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    this is some good info. Of the 10 out 113 who made it back to being all stars, how many were all stars before the surgery ? i completely understand the risk with Verlander, but so do a lot of MLB execs and they are very interested. I think comparing him to other pitchers isn't that informative...he should be compared to other Cy Young award winners. His case is unique and should be evaluated that way. High risk/High reward for those willing to buy in.

    EDIT: Jamie Moyer was almost 50 when he got TJ surgery, that is amazing that he tried to come back
    At age 47 Moyer was cranking an 81 mph fastball.

  3. #23
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    31,721
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmallz View Post
    I disagree with the assessment about his upside. What upside are you expecting of a 40 y/o power pitcher? So many times we look back what a player did and just project that forward. Sure he was good in 2019 but he hasn't pitched in 2 years. He's not 24 where you just expect him to come back and be the same player physically. You have to bake in some level of skills regression and if it takes half a year for him to get his control what is that pitcher going to look like? Then what type of pitcher are you looking at in 2023? What about 2024? Compare that to a young flyer where you can potentially get a player who will be prodcutive for 5 or 6 years and someone with significant trade value even if he doesn't become a star. With age related skills decline and a limited # of seasons left in his career there's just not a ton upside here.

    IMO, betting on injured pitchers is one of the biggest mistakes most fanatasy managers make, often times the cost is too high for level of risk and reward you are taking on
    These are the things that make our wonderful game fun. Thank you for the input.

    I am not looking for Verlander to be the answer for 2023 and 2024. I am looking for him to be a difference maker in 2022.

    I do agree that in the heat of battle in an auction some injured players go for way too much. If they don't get and stay healthy they can tank a season. If I am playing for this year and I can keep a cheap Verlander I am doing it. If I would have to buy him at auction, probably not going to throw more the a few bucks at him (depending what is out there to spend money on).

  4. #24
    MVP The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmallz View Post
    I disagree with the assessment about his upside. What upside are you expecting of a 40 y/o power pitcher? So many times we look back what a player did and just project that forward. Sure he was good in 2019 but he hasn't pitched in 2 years. He's not 24 where you just expect him to come back and be the same player physically. You have to bake in some level of skills regression and if it takes half a year for him to get his control what is that pitcher going to look like? Then what type of pitcher are you looking at in 2023? What about 2024? Compare that to a young flyer where you can potentially get a player who will be prodcutive for 5 or 6 years and someone with significant trade value even if he doesn't become a star. With age related skills decline and a limited # of seasons left in his career there's just not a ton upside here.

    IMO, betting on injured pitchers is one of the biggest mistakes most fanatasy managers make, often times the cost is too high for level of risk and reward you are taking on
    so what young flyers do you expect to outperform Verlander in 2022 and 2023 ? that would be an interesting discussion. Who can you get cheap next year who you expect to be better than Verlander ?

    Regarding upside, I suspect he will get paid more than 20 million per season. So I don't think it is just me that thinks he has huge potential.
    Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 11-12-2021 at 12:38 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

    -put it in the pantry with your cupcakes

  5. #25
    Class A
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    These are the things that make our wonderful game fun. Thank you for the input.

    I am not looking for Verlander to be the answer for 2023 and 2024. I am looking for him to be a difference maker in 2022.

    I do agree that in the heat of battle in an auction some injured players go for way too much. If they don't get and stay healthy they can tank a season. If I am playing for this year and I can keep a cheap Verlander I am doing it. If I would have to buy him at auction, probably not going to throw more the a few bucks at him (depending what is out there to spend money on).
    Then I would be very wary of him. I expect the first half of his 2022 season to be pretty terrible as he works his way back into form. His command will certainly be off and I'd expect an era in the mid 4s for the first half of 2022. Once he gets his command back I agree his line will look a whole lot like the pitcher you were expecting, 3.3ish ERA, 1.2 whip 9-10 k/9. Add that all together and and your looking at an ERA of 4 with a whip closer to 1.3. For reference see Adam Wainwright's 2012 season, his first year back from TJ. Check out the 1st half 2nd half splits.

    More than that though, think about the timing and how will this affect your team? I assume you're trying to compete in 2022, are you going to keep running him out there if he gets blown up in May? Is he going to ride your bench for the first half until his control comes back? Are you going to be tempted to cut him or sell low on him in June if his ERA is 4.6? These are important points to keep in mind when deciding weather to roster him or not. Just pretend he will be injured until the ASB, how much is he worth to you then?

    One of my favorite strategies in fantasy baseball is avoiding these guys like the plague in the drafts and buying them up cheap when the team that drafted them either drops them or is out of contention and willing to sell on the cheap.

  6. #26
    Class A
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    so what young flyers do you expect to outperform Verlander in 2022 and 2023 ? that would be an interesting discussion. Who can you get cheap next year who you expect to be better than Verlander ?
    Per NFBC, Verlander is going around pick 160. Here's a list of guys going after that I would rather draft over Verlander at that price. Skubel, Paddock, Means, Quantril, Ynoa, Eduardo Rodriguez, Aaron Ashby, Triston McKenzie, Patrick Sandoval, Josiah Gray, Jesus Luzardo, Adam Wainwright, Jose Urquidy and Aaron Civale. I am NOT saying these guys will outperform Verlander but most are young with potential to be kept for 4-5 years if they hit, if they get blown up in April, cut them and move on to someone else I can take flyer on, eventually one of them will hit. At Verlander's price, that's what I'm looking for instead of a player with limited upside who I just can't cut b/c of name value

  7. #27
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,863
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmallz View Post
    if they get blown up in April, cut them and move on to someone else I can take flyer on, eventually one of them will hit.
    That strategy is heavily dependent on league size. In deep leagues you would not want to go in with that plan.

  8. #28
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,100
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmallz View Post
    Per NFBC, Verlander is going around pick 160. Here's a list of guys going after that I would rather draft over Verlander at that price. Skubel, Paddock, Means, Quantril, Ynoa, Eduardo Rodriguez, Aaron Ashby, Triston McKenzie, Patrick Sandoval, Josiah Gray, Jesus Luzardo, Adam Wainwright, Jose Urquidy and Aaron Civale. I am NOT saying these guys will outperform Verlander but most are young with potential to be kept for 4-5 years if they hit, if they get blown up in April, cut them and move on to someone else I can take flyer on, eventually one of them will hit. At Verlander's price, that's what I'm looking for instead of a player with limited upside who I just can't cut b/c of name value
    Kind of doubt Adam Wainwright will be kept 4-5 years. I'd also pick a thousand Justin Verlanders before one Adam Wainwright in next year's draft.

    I do totally agree, though, with your strategy of going with youth and health on the pitching side (well, on every side).
    One day, just like a miracle, windmill cancer will disappear.

  9. #29
    MVP The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmallz View Post
    Per NFBC, Verlander is going around pick 160. Here's a list of guys going after that I would rather draft over Verlander at that price. Skubel, Paddock, Means, Quantril, Ynoa, Eduardo Rodriguez, Aaron Ashby, Triston McKenzie, Patrick Sandoval, Josiah Gray, Jesus Luzardo, Adam Wainwright, Jose Urquidy and Aaron Civale. I am NOT saying these guys will outperform Verlander but most are young with potential to be kept for 4-5 years if they hit, if they get blown up in April, cut them and move on to someone else I can take flyer on, eventually one of them will hit. At Verlander's price, that's what I'm looking for instead of a player with limited upside who I just can't cut b/c of name value
    Thanks, that helps for context. I think it is unlikely that more than a couple of those guys outperform Verlander, but we shall see. Of course he could not be fully healthy and they could all be better than him, but I see that as risk not an assessment of upside. He is probably the most likely out of the list to be a top 10 pitcher, which is why I struggle to agree he has limited upside.

    Most of those guys also are not going to be cheap flyers available for a few bucks at the end of the draft I suspect, they look more like $10 -$15 guys for the most part, depending on league settings. So they certainly have a greater probability of outperforming Verlander than a late round flyer as mentioned previously. And I can certainly understand why someone would prefer to spend their money on someone from this list instead of Verlander.
    Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 11-12-2021 at 08:15 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

    -put it in the pantry with your cupcakes

  10. #30
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    31,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Kind of doubt Adam Wainwright will be kept 4-5 years. I'd also pick a thousand Justin Verlanders before one Adam Wainwright in next year's draft.
    .
    How big are your rosters!!??

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •