What to do with Wainwright?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with Wainwright?

I am relatively sure that most Wainwright owners in keeper leagues have him on the cheap.

I picked him up in the endgame for a buck in our 2020 NL only 5x5 12 team keeper. It was a no brainer for me to keep him this year.

Now at age 40 I will need to decide if I should play him out next year or give him a $5 raise. He has been so good this year that it is tempting after all it is only 6 bucks. Still the fall could come fast and hard.

I am pretty sure I am playing him out at a buck and enjoying some profit.

What are you planning to do with him (and what is his salary)?

I don't have him, but in our NL 10 team 5x5, he'll be at 8 and out next year. The manager who has him is certain to keep him - assuming he doesn't trade him. He has four really good pitching keepers and a fifth decent one, and his hitters are...well, turrble. Doubt I'll be buying, but I need to really dig in and see how he's gone back to a sub 1.1 WHIP from four consecutive years of 1.4 WHIP or higher.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

At age 40 play him out. There is no guarantee that he will continue this next year. Keep the profit.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
        At age 40 play him out. There is no guarantee that he will continue this next year. Keep the profit.
        This. He's 40.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
          This. He's 40.
          I thought he was 17.

Comment

Am I the only one who has him?

He is looking like my team MVP for this year. Lots of stats for a buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Am I the only one who has him?

He is looking like my team MVP for this year. Lots of stats for a buck.
              Wainwright agreed to a one-year extension with the Cardinals on Friday, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports

Should not be hard for me to make a profit playing him out for a buck.

Comment

I can keep him for a buck. But i am throwing him back into the draft. Can only keep 9 and i have a lot of younger less risky options to choose from. To me, age 40 in fantasy baseball is like having one foot on the edge of the cliff and the other foot in midair.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  I can keep him for a buck. But i am throwing him back into the draft. Can only keep 9 and i have a lot of younger less risky options to choose from. To me, age 40 in fantasy baseball is like having one foot on the edge of the cliff and the other foot in midair.
                  Unless those are all guaranteed profit, I think that's a mistake. Yes, obviously nothing is guaranteed, but at $1, the risk is minimal while the possible reward is significant.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Unless those are all guaranteed profit, I think that's a mistake. Yes, obviously nothing is guaranteed, but at $1, the risk is minimal while the possible reward is significant.
                    I have a dozen players for a buck plus a few more who are in the $6-15 range but still undervalued. So, for my team there's no shortage of younger options at the same or slightly higher price.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Can you package him for a better keeper?

Comment

Can you package him for a better keeper?
                        I'm not expecting much demand for a pitcher who turns 41 next year. We ended up with one less team this year when the new guy quit because he couldn't get the app to work on his phone just as our online draft timer started ticking away. So, those undrafted players ended up in the free agent pool and everyone has a stronger than usual keeper list.

I am kind of interested to see how much i can get someone else to spend on him at the draft. Unless Mith takes him in the expansion team keeper draft.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Wainwright vs. the Pirates in 2021:
                          30 ip
                          1 er
                          13 h
                          2 bb
                          29 k
                          0.30 era
                          0.50 whip
                          4-0 w-l

Wainwright vs. everyone else in 2021:
                          176.1 ip
                          69 er
                          155 h
                          48 bb
                          145 k
                          3.52 era
                          1.15 whip
                          13-7 w-l

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Wainwright vs. the Pirates in 2021:
                            30 ip
                            1 er
                            13 h
                            2 bb
                            29 k
                            0.30 era
                            0.50 whip
                            4-0 w-l

Wainwright vs. everyone else in 2021:
                            176.1 ip
                            69 er
                            155 h
                            48 bb
                            145 k
                            3.52 era
                            1.15 whip
                            13-7 w-l
                            I still would gladly take the "everyone else" stats next year for a buck.

Comment

I still would gladly take the "everyone else" stats next year for a buck.
                              You think he'll go for a buck?

Comment

Working...
                              X