Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 104

Thread: Societal Collapse

  1. #71
    MVP The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    10,973
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    Same for me. If it's a map, you have to go to point 2 before 3 and 4.

    If not, point 3 is not insane. 4 is arguable. 5 is insane. Even with a red wave in 2022, and me being a GOP optimist, there's no way we get to two-thirds in the House and Senate. Which makes everything past 5 insane.

    As for my head being in the sand, I can only laugh. Anyone who thinks either party will have enough of a majority in both the House and Senate to make Constitutional amendments pass isn't quite QAnon crazy, but certainly isn't dealing in reality.
    I've already forgotten what the numbers are on this list, lol. For me the question is if the either party will try to invalidate legitimate elections. It seems like Trump kind of made an effort in that direction. Without any consequences (Thanks Obama/Biden !) 1) do you think Trump made an effort to subvert legitimate elections in the last election? 2) Do you think it is a legitimate concern that he/Republicans will try to subvert/steal future elections ?
    Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 01-10-2022 at 09:00 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

    -put it in the pantry with your cupcakes

  2. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I'd say the answer to that question is the same, red or blue, and frighteningly, both will say it with all sincerity and conviction--that path to 2/3 for the other party is lined with cheating, corruption, rigging, and attempting to invalidate any and all results that do not lead to that outcome. It is far-fetched that it could happen, but it is frighteningly clear that at least some people are trying, undermining confidence in our whole system of government.
    Far-fetched? It's madness. There's 14-15 states that are mortal locks to elect every Senator as Democrat, and and equal amount for the GOP. Both parties have easily 10 others who are unstoppable as long as they're alive, and even if they'd die, their respective states are trending more and more the party they already are. Maybe - and I might be high on my count - there's ten Senators that could have their party affiliation swing when they either die or retire. For example, when Collins goes in Maine, it'll almost certainly turn blue. When Tester goes in Montana, it's most likely it'll turn red. But there's very few seats like that available.

    As for the fools attempting to "undermine confidence in our whole system of government", I'll refer to an earlier post and many of Bene's accurate assessments of the legal capabilities of the Trump team. As I noted, almost all (maybe even ALL and not almost all) of Bene's references to Trump's legal representation was correct in noting they were ignorant fools with less legal skills than a first year law student. To do what you've stated would require them, in Star Wars lingo, to morph from Jawas to Darth Sidious and Darth Vader. Keep in mind Trump's legal team brought numerous lawsuits, most of which were dismissed out of hand, and the few Trump lawyers that made it to a serious legal proceeding got their heads handed to them virtually every time. And how about the success of all those FORENSIC analyses, no?

    It ain't happening, people. Unless you actually believe umjewman's sarcastic description of Trump playing 5D chess while all those other fools play checkers.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

  3. #73
    Administrator revo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fuggedabboutit
    Posts
    23,862
    BTW, this was all off the top of my head, lol. Not to be taken literally. The article I read this morning on these books obviously spurred it on, then I got to thinking that hey, he feels jilted, he’s said he should serve an extra term, well, then if he could, why not appeal the 22nd Amendment.

    Polls have also shown that more than half of Republicans would be Ok with secession (I think 25% of Dems feel the same).

    And we know Dems have spoken about ending the Senate filibuster. So as payback, why wouldn’t the GOP do it?

    I haven’t read the books they’re referring to, but I could imagine it going something like this. I’d like to think cooler heads would prevail, but if certain extreme right wing crackpots get into power, I would think the odds of retribution jumps substantially. And if those right wing crackpots DO get into positions of power, I could certainly foresee a gathering momentum of secession in Blue States first.


    And BTW, I enjoy Gregg’s and Chance’s commentary and look forward to what they have to say.

    This is fiction — until it’s not, lol.

  4. #74
    MVP The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    10,973
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    As for the fools attempting to "undermine confidence in our whole system of government", I'll refer to an earlier post and many of Bene's accurate assessments of the legal capabilities of the Trump team. As I noted, almost all (maybe even ALL and not almost all) of Bene's references to Trump's legal representation was correct in noting they were ignorant fools with less legal skills than a first year law student. To do what you've stated would require them, in Star Wars lingo, to morph from Jawas to Darth Sidious and Darth Vader. Keep in mind Trump's legal team brought numerous lawsuits, most of which were dismissed out of hand, and the few Trump lawyers that made it to a serious legal proceeding got their heads handed to them virtually every time. And how about the success of all those FORENSIC analyses, no?
    I understand that everyone laughed at Trump's legal team...but that is somewhat beside the point. Did he knowingly try to overturn an election ? Were his actions anti-Democratic or illegal ?

    EDIT: I think it would be a lot clearer if you just either said what Trump did was legitimate legal action based on concerns about election fraud, or criticized him for trying to steal an election.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

    -put it in the pantry with your cupcakes

  5. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Certainly the domestic terrorist issue is largely a R issue.
    Uh, no. Who's the only individual to actually shoot Congresspeople and their staff in the last four years? Ah, yes, that would be James T. Hodgkinson, who went after a collection of GOP Congresspeople, their staff, and some of their kids on a baseball field in 2017, emptying 62 7.62 mm rounds at a variety of potential victims, grievously wounding one staff member and Congressman Steve Scalise, both of whom were fortunate to survive. The Alexandria, VA DA's legal findings - who is a Democrat - are, and I quote: "The evidence in this case establishes beyond a reasonable doubt that the suspect, fueled by rage against Republican legislators, decided to commit an act of terrorism as that term is defined by the Code of Virginia." A 2021 FBI report classified the shooting as an act of domestic terrorism, as well. That same report noted Hodgkinson had additional names targeted, all GOP members.

    And who was James T. Hodgkinson? Yeah, a Bernie Bro. A rabid anti-Trump guy.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

  6. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I understand that everyone laughed at Trump's legal team...but that is somewhat beside the point.
    No, that's a key point. Trump sent a bunch of lawyers to a bunch of places to overturn election results. Those are the facts. Your other questions are mere speculation. It's also factual to note his legal team was an absolute joke; a collection of incompetents. And factually, they got their butts kicked everywhere they went. Then they tried to go after the vote counts with their FORENSIC analyses, and got their butts kicked there, too.

    Point being, should Trump run in 2024 and make it past the primary, and lose, it's reasonable to expect he'll make the same legal and FORENSIC challenges. It's certain he'll fail again. All the bloviating and speculation about what "could" happen is fruitless. If I were a Democrat, I'd be far more worried that Biden will continue to screw up so badly (ahem, remember former President Obama's warning about Biden, LOL) that Trump, should he run and get past the GOP primary, would beat Biden fair and square, and be handed a GOP House and Senate.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

  7. #77
    Journeyman Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON, CAN
    Posts
    3,493
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    Uh, no. Who's the only individual to actually shoot Congresspeople and their staff in the last four years? Ah, yes, that would be James T. Hodgkinson, who went after a collection of GOP Congresspeople, their staff, and some of their kids on a baseball field in 2017, emptying 62 7.62 mm rounds at a variety of potential victims, grievously wounding one staff member and Congressman Steve Scalise, both of whom were fortunate to survive. The Alexandria, VA DA's legal findings - who is a Democrat - are, and I quote: "The evidence in this case establishes beyond a reasonable doubt that the suspect, fueled by rage against Republican legislators, decided to commit an act of terrorism as that term is defined by the Code of Virginia." A 2021 FBI report classified the shooting as an act of domestic terrorism, as well. That same report noted Hodgkinson had additional names targeted, all GOP members.

    And who was James T. Hodgkinson? Yeah, a Bernie Bro. A rabid anti-Trump guy.
    Hahahaha. 1 example?!!! Hahaha. Wow.

    Kyle Rittenhouse is a right wing hero! Trump repeatedly threatened violence, implying that people should shoot Hillary Clinton.

    Right wingers are openly asking their leaders "when do we get to bring the guns?"

    Not a single Democrat supports your example. Millions of Republicans support countless domestic terrorists like Rittenhouse. End of story.
    "My favourite is when Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi say "we need a strong Republican party." And I'm like, "um, well, I donít. Not sure why you do." And then I realized why they do need a strong Republican party. Because if there was no Republican party, even if you were a fan of the Democrats, you would be like "hey, now what's holding you back from doing good policy if there's no opposition?" Because they'd be revealed as frauds." - Judah Friedlander

  8. #78
    Journeyman Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON, CAN
    Posts
    3,493
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    No, that's a key point. Trump sent a bunch of lawyers to a bunch of places to overturn election results. Those are the facts. Your other questions are mere speculation. It's also factual to note his legal team was an absolute joke; a collection of incompetents. And factually, they got their butts kicked everywhere they went. Then they tried to go after the vote counts with their FORENSIC analyses, and got their butts kicked there, too.

    Point being, should Trump run in 2024 and make it past the primary, and lose, it's reasonable to expect he'll make the same legal and FORENSIC challenges. It's certain he'll fail again. All the bloviating and speculation about what "could" happen is fruitless. If I were a Democrat, I'd be far more worried that Biden will continue to screw up so badly (ahem, remember former President Obama's warning about Biden, LOL) that Trump, should he run and get past the GOP primary, would beat Biden fair and square, and be handed a GOP House and Senate.
    To be fair, I agree with this part. Dems are fucked. It's 100% their own fault.
    "My favourite is when Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi say "we need a strong Republican party." And I'm like, "um, well, I donít. Not sure why you do." And then I realized why they do need a strong Republican party. Because if there was no Republican party, even if you were a fan of the Democrats, you would be like "hey, now what's holding you back from doing good policy if there's no opposition?" Because they'd be revealed as frauds." - Judah Friedlander

  9. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Hahahaha. 1 example?!!! Hahaha. Wow.
    That's one example more than you can provide. See, you can talk about feelz and words and stuff, but only one individual has gone armed with a submachine gun and intentionally targeted, shot, and nearly killed sitting members of the House and Senate. Only one individual was found to have committed an act of domestic terrorism against sitting members of the House and Senate. And that was a Trump-hating Bernie Bro.

    Rittenhouse? Not even close. Wasn't even charged with anything resembling domestic terrorism. I mean, if you want to go there, let's talk Seattle's CHOP and the two kids killed there. And all the left-wingers walking around with long rifles. Or why Rittenhouse was even in Kenosha at all.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

  10. #80
    Journeyman Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON, CAN
    Posts
    3,493
    Claiming Rittenhouse isn't a domestic terrorist shows exactly why you're unfit to have the conversation.

    Countless Trump supporters shot and killed people for political reasons over the past several years. But I see only attacks directly against politicians count in your tally... but also only AFTER Gabby Giffords. Or I guess hers doesn't count because she survived being shot in the head? As if that isn't an execution.

    Ridiculous.
    "My favourite is when Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi say "we need a strong Republican party." And I'm like, "um, well, I donít. Not sure why you do." And then I realized why they do need a strong Republican party. Because if there was no Republican party, even if you were a fan of the Democrats, you would be like "hey, now what's holding you back from doing good policy if there's no opposition?" Because they'd be revealed as frauds." - Judah Friedlander

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •