Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Neat stat

Weird to limit it to the modern era, no one hit close to 40 HR before 1900 either.

Why not "In the history of major league baseball" instead I wonder
    Yep. Most hit was 27 pre-1900.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Yep. Most hit was 27 pre-1900.
      Good 'ol Ned Williamson, the Brady Anderson of his day. Played 6 years and never hit more than 3 HR, then suddenly 27 out of the blue, and then right back to <10 the rest of his career.

I need to read up on that 1884 season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Good 'ol Ned Williamson, the Brady Anderson of his day. Played 6 years and never hit more than 3 HR, then suddenly 27 out of the blue, and then right back to <10 the rest of his career.

I need to read up on that 1884 season.
        Ah, here we go. So many interesting things here.

In 1883, Williamson set the major league record for doubles in a single season by hitting 49, surpassing King Kelly's 37 set the previous year. Williamson's record for doubles stood until Tip O'Neill of the St. Louis Browns hit 52 in 1887. Williamson's doubles achievement was attributed to the short dimensions of Chicago's Lakeshore Park; the distances were 186 feet (57 m) in left field, 300 feet (91 m) in center field, and 190 feet (58 m) in right field. Balls that were hit over the fence were counted as doubles until 1884, when they became home runs.
        Wow.

186 foot left field. I think I could handle that.

But you only get a double for hitting it over, what the heck?

After the 1884 season, the White Stockings moved to West Side Park, and Williamson's power numbers dropped. Without the short fences, his home run total dropped to three
        OK, that explains the drop.

And who would have known it, his grave finally got marked a couple weeks ago:

He was interred in an unmarked grave at Rosehill Cemetery in Chicago.[1] until November 6, 2021, when the grave received a dedication thanks to the efforts of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR); the grave notes his single-season record of home runs set in 1884.

Comment

that's some good stuff there Ken, thanks for posting that
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Did you discover why the grave was unmarked?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Did you discover why the grave was unmarked?
              No one had marked it yet

Comment

Working...
              X