Most important category?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important category?

I was looking over my league standings today and noticed an interesting pattern. The top four teams in overall standings are also the top four teams in Ks. The bottom five teams in overall standings are the bottom five in Ks. No other category comes close in its correlation with overall standings. Obviously an N of one is useless for drawing broader conclusions, but curious to hear others' thoughts on their personal ranking, if any, of the relative importance of each category.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

In my NL league 10 teams the top 4 are in Ks are in 7th, 6th, 9th and 2nd. I'm currently leading the league in overall points but I'm 5 in Ks. I had a rough April and was in last place in Ks and W. Fried was on the DL and only had really 3 other starters plus Weathers. Since then I added Houser, Mergill, Toussaint and who all helped in my rise to 1st helped gaining 5 points Ks. I have always tried to get pitchers with K potential. It would be interesting see the other leagues on how the top 4 are doing in K.

Comment

Interesting idea but doesnt really hold true in my main league. I'm currently leading this league by 19 points and I'm 11th out of 21 teams in K's. This is because I spent a lot more on hitting than pitching, which is what I usually do. 3 of the top 5 teams are in the top 5 in Ks. What I would think usually would correlate more closely would be the power categories. Altho this year this doesnt really correlate any more than Ks do. Of the top 5 teams, 3 are in the top 6 of each of the power categories.

In another league, it does correlate, as the top 4 teams are all in the top 5 in Ks. But wins correlates even more, w the top 4 also being the top 4 in wins. But this league, as opposed to the 1st league, has lots of trading and also weekly FAAB. This would tend to correlate the tops in most categories to the top teams overall.

A better example might be my 3rd league, which has no trading and no FAAB or any other pickups. In this league, the top 2 teams are the tops in Ks but 3rd place is 6th (out of 12) and 4th place is 8th. The power categories correlate much better. The top 4 teams are also tops in all 3 power categories (tied for 4th in HR).

Comment

Historically, the top finishers excel in homers and strikeouts. There are obviously exceptions, but looking at this for the past 20 years, the results are clear.

Intuitively, it makes sense since each stat is associated with many other categories. HR are obviously also a run, RBI and a hit in batting average.

A pitcher can sport low ratios without high strikeouts, but dominance certainly helps, and if your fantasy staff features low ratios, it's almost always due to a high K total.
        Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
          Historically, the top finishers excel in homers and strikeouts. There are obviously exceptions, but looking at this for the past 20 years, the results are clear.

Intuitively, it makes sense since each stat is associated with many other categories. HR are obviously also a run, RBI and a hit in batting average.

A pitcher can sport low ratios without high strikeouts, but dominance certainly helps, and if your fantasy staff features low ratios, it's almost always due to a high K total.
          Thanx for this. I was wondering what studies of this would say. In my main league, tho, which I lead by a good margin, my pitching ratios are excellent (1st in ERA, 6th in WHIP out of 21 teams) but I'm mediocre in Ks (11th). I do have the MLB leader in Ks, tho (Wheeler).
          Last edited by rhd; 08-29-2021, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks this is exactly what I was wondering.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
              Thanx for this. I was wondering what studies of this would say. In my main league, tho, which I lead by a good margin, my pitching ratios are excellent (1st in ERA, 6th in WHIP out of 21 teams) but I'm mediocre in Ks (11th). I do have the MLB leader in Ks, tho (Wheeler).
              First in ERA while being sixth in WHIP is a bit of out whack. Either you have a lot of groundball pitchers or been smitten by Lady Luck.

Comment

First in ERA while being sixth in WHIP is a bit of out whack. Either you have a lot of groundball pitchers or been smitten by Lady Luck.
                But #6 out of 21 teams doesnt strike me as much out of whack. I've seen lots much more out of whack, even in this league this year. There are 3 teams that have an 8 place difference between ERA and WHIP, 1 w a 6-place difference and 2 others other than me w a 5-place difference. Seems like pretty normal variation to me.

Comment

we only have 3 "good" teams in NL-only 11-team 5x5

95, 83.5, 73
                  (then 4 teams from 61 to 66 points)

the top 3 overall rank 2nd, 5th, and 7th in K
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                    But #6 out of 21 teams doesnt strike me as much out of whack. I've seen lots much more out of whack, even in this league this year. There are 3 teams that have an 8 place difference between ERA and WHIP, 1 w a 6-place difference and 2 others other than me w a 5-place difference. Seems like pretty normal variation to me.
                    I messed the 21 teams part so it's not as disparate as I thought. There will always be outliers in every league. I don't know the exact difference I'd call normal variation, but honestly, who cares

The key is realizing ERA tends to move towards WHIP when doing category analysis for trades, pickups, activations, etc.

Comment

On the flip side, what is the least important category? I think this is an easier question. I'm currently in 1st with 106 points, up 12.5 on 2nd place team. I am top-3 in every category except 8th in saves. I didn't draft any closers but picked some up early in FAAB and stayed competitive for awhile. However, the peloton eventually left me behind and a few weeks ago, I decided to dump them because there is no chance any team below will catch me, and I was able to gain a couple points in Ks by going with 9 SPs. Of course my ratio leads have shrunk and if they don't hold it may ultimately be a wash.
                      Last edited by DMT; 08-30-2021, 11:53 AM.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

our leader has 54 of a possible 55 hitting points - he's 2nd in HR to the Tatis/Schwarber owner - and also leads in W, with 2nds in K and ERA.

he is 4th in Ratio and - yep, 9th in SV
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Interesting, as I'd have said SBs.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

If important can be considered, "In which categories do winning teams fare the worst?", it's steals and saves - and it's not especially close. The intuitive reason is the likely reason -- the most singular categories on each side of the ledger.

This DOES NOT mean winners punt them - it just means on the average, they earn fewer points in SB and SV than the others.

Comment

My draft strategy is to get a cheap closer and try to figure it out during the season through FAAB and/or trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X