Minor league pickup...with a twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor league pickup...with a twist

So, our roster expansion happens in my AL only, and any player still in the minors or Japan and not on a roster can be picked up for $3 for P's and $5 for hitters. However, we do NOT have a minor league roster, and if I'd want to keep one of them, they must occupy a keeper roster slot going into the auction. Hence, it's critical the players are likely slated to start 2022 in the majors or be Kris Bryant close. Here's my options, in order of rhd's list:

- Riley Greene, OF, DET
    - Austin Martin, SS, MIN
    - Grayson Rodriguez, SP, BAL
    - Jack Leiter, SP, TEX
    - Royce Lewis, SS, MIN
    - Jeter Downs, 2B, BOS
    - Seiya Suzuki, OF, Japan

I left off Yanagita due to his seven-year deal and his team never posts, but he's also available.

Thoughts/rankings?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

I doubt any of those guys are on the opening day rosters, chancellor. The teams have almost no incentive to do that. Sorry! I could be wrong but that’s my take.

Cool rule though.

Comment

If Greene gets called up by the ASB he's going to earn $5. Given that he's already in AAA and hitting well there, I don't see why he couldn't meet that ETA.

Probably not on the opening day roster, but probably worth $5 in an AL only.

I know that wasn't EXACTLY your question, but hope it helps.

Comment

Greene and Martin are the closest. Greene even if doesn't make the OD roster I believe he will play most of the season with the Tigers. They would love to have him and Tork in the line-up everyday. Greene path to starting in the OF is Hill, Baddoo, Grossman, Cameron, Reyes. It just a question if the Tigers see him ready.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
          Greene and Martin are the closest. Greene even if doesn't make the OD roster I believe he will play most of the season with the Tigers. They would love to have him and Tork in the line-up everyday. Greene path to starting in the OF is Hill, Baddoo, Grossman, Cameron, Reyes. It just a question if the Tigers see him ready.
          Yeah, I agree with this. It is amazing how fast Greene has moved, and it would not surprise me if he takes a step back next year a la Kelenic, but if he does not, he should be up the fastest and as Ken says, he will out earn the price even if he isn't up by June like I am assuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Yeah, I agree with this. It is amazing how fast Greene has moved, and it would not surprise me if he takes a step back next year a la Kelenic, but if he does not, he should be up the fastest and as Ken says, he will out earn the price even if he isn't up by June like I am assuming.
            Greene has hit well at every level so far BUT he only 20 so yeah I agree he could certainly struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              So, our roster expansion happens in my AL only, and any player still in the minors or Japan and not on a roster can be picked up for $3 for P's and $5 for hitters. However, we do NOT have a minor league roster, and if I'd want to keep one of them, they must occupy a keeper roster slot going into the auction. Hence, it's critical the players are likely slated to start 2022 in the majors or be Kris Bryant close. Here's my options, in order of rhd's list:

- Riley Greene, OF, DET
              - Austin Martin, SS, MIN
              - Grayson Rodriguez, SP, BAL
              - Jack Leiter, SP, TEX
              - Royce Lewis, SS, MIN
              - Jeter Downs, 2B, BOS
              - Seiya Suzuki, OF, Japan

I left off Yanagita due to his seven-year deal and his team never posts, but he's also available.

Thoughts/rankings?
              Do you have a reserve round draft in your league?

Does your league value prospects as trading chips? If yes do they have a bias towards offense?

Do you really need the help in the form of production or would these be more helpful as trading chips?

Depending on the answers I move up Grayson Rodriquez and Royce Lewis and would have to think long and hard if I put Greene ahead of them. I am not saying I wouldn't but it would not be a slam dunk.

Comment

We do have six reserve rounds after the auction. Top prospects can definitely drive deals with dumpers, but no favoritism toward hitters or pitchers, other than a couple managers - one who favors young power arms, the other hitters. Grayson Rodriguez does intrigue me since he'll only be $3 and I could replace him fairly easily after the auction with a decent MR. Losing a hitting slot to a player who won't be up for a long time requires a lot of luck to fill that slot with any decent stats.

Based on the input, I'll probably go with Greene, Grayson, and Suzuki. Advantage to Suzuki is our keeper cut deadline is after posting/signing time, so if he's not posted, I can release him at no penalty before the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  Depending on the answers I move up Grayson Rodriquez and Royce Lewis and would have to think long and hard if I put Greene ahead of them. I am not saying I wouldn't but it would not be a slam dunk.
                  Not really following this. What scenarios would make Royce Lewis, for example, a better asset than Greene? I cannot think of one outside of a SS only league.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    Do you have a reserve round draft in your league?

Does your league value prospects as trading chips? If yes do they have a bias towards offense?

Do you really need the help in the form of production or would these be more helpful as trading chips?

Lewis hasn't played since 2019 and struggled in A and AA ball. Chancellor is looking more for someone making the OD roster or soon after. It entirely possible that Lewis might need an entire season at AA/AAA. Greene is already in Toledo so to my thinking he is further along than Lewis.

Comment

On further reflection, I’m changing my “ranked choice” vote to Greene. Have been doing more research on him. He’s your guy IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Not really following this. What scenarios would make Royce Lewis, for example, a better asset than Greene? I cannot think of one outside of a SS only league.
                        As it turns out it doesn't really matter what we think on this subject as chance got what he needed and has a game plan.

Personally given his answers I think if he only had one pick, Grayson would be his best pick for the upcoming year. He can easily replace the roster spot with a MR, still have trade value or one of the best pitching prospects in baseball. If he has a chance to win this would be the way to go as finding a FAAB for replacing Greene or Lewis is problematic.

Trading rules and league dumping tendancies might infulence that, but he already stated not much bias. I don't know about his trading rules. In our league we cannot trade prospects until after the All Star Break (unless they are brought up). If he can trade Greene (his preferred pick) in the first couple of weeks for useful pieces or a very good X contract he is golden. If not pitching is the way to go in this case.

All the best Chance I hope it works out well.

Comment

Thanks! Appreciate the advice/info from everyone.

Comment

Working...
                          X