Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the farthest you've been in each direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhd View Post
    It's beautiful. But it is so undeveloped in the countryside that it's like a 3rd world country. Queenstown is overrated tho, IMHO. Lotsa sheep.

Some of my most memorable experiences there were kind of not what you'd expect. On the way to Queenstown, I stopped at a roadside produce stand. They had something called "Black Boy" peaches. It sounded interesting and I like peaches so I got a couple and ate them while I was driving. They were about the most delicious things I've ever tasted. They're purple inside like plums. Never heard of them before or since. It was almost worth the trip to NZ just to taste them. Try to find some if you ever go.

The other memorable thing was on the ferry from North to South Island. The sun set in the middle of the trip and I went out on deck after dark. The stars were out and I asked another guy next to me which one was Alpha Centauri and he pointed it out (very bright star). My first time seeing the closest star to us. Altho I found out later that you can see it from the southern US around midnight around Summer Solstice.

I highly recommend going. They had a redwoods grove near Rotorua, also.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention several one-lane bridges on the South Island that are used by both trains and cars! You heard me right. They're one-lane only and they have train tracks running down in the middle of the one lane. They're not very long, maybe 2/10s of a mile at most, but I couldnt help thinking about if a slow car entered the bridge while a fast train was coming the other way. Like I said, like a 3rd-world country. This was 1997 so they might have replaced these bridges by now.
    We experienced a couple of these things, too! Sort of similarly, one night we were looking up at the stars in Australia (just after learning to throw a boomerang, lol) and saw Orion. The constellation was upside down, which really messed with my head.

We rented a car on the north island of New Zealand and drove around for a couple weeks. Absolutely amazing place. Very, very sparsely populated so far more small town, B&B type of adventures than big lights, big city stuff for sure.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

central/northern Maine is a rarity in the Northeast US - you look up at night and realize, wow that is a lot more stars that you can see way up here! (plus, bonus, the stars are right-side up, lol
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

North: Stockholm, Sweden
        South: El Salvador
        East: Guam
        West: Kauai
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          North: Stockholm, Sweden
          South: El Salvador
          East: Guam
          Did you love Stockholm? I thought it was awesome - one of my favorite cities that I have traveled to, even though I was there in February and it was like negative 20 there.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
            Did you love Stockholm? I thought it was awesome - one of my favorite cities that I have traveled to, even though I was there in February and it was like negative 20 there.
            Yes, very cool city. I was only there for half a day since it was work and we spent the week about an hours drive south. Would love to go back.
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

North: Stockholm
              South: Buenos Aires
              East: Chiba, Japan
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                Yes, very cool city. I was only there for half a day since it was work and we spent the week about an hours drive south. Would love to go back.
                Did you begin to feel love for your captors?
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

North - Denali NP, Alaska
                  South - Cape Point, South Africa
                  West - Kauai
                  East - Fiji
                  Last edited by DMT; 08-30-2021, 01:42 PM.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Kauai seems to be a popular answer for "West". If west stops at the Int'l date line, then Kauai is the furthest west for me, too. But then the furthest east becomes circa Rotorua, New Zealand.

Comment

North: Toronto
                      South: Bora Bora
                      East: Barbados
                      West: Hawaii

Comment

North: Reykjavik, Iceland
                        South: Kauai Hawaii
                        East: Greece
                        West: Tibet (or east)
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

North: Vancouver Island, Canada
                          South: Bonaire (my Argentina trip was cancelled due to COVID)
                          East: Turkey
                          West: Moclips, WA

Up (by foot): Baldy Mountain, NM (that's higher than half of Rainier)
                          Up (by plane): Typical airline height I guess
                          Down: ~120 feet below sea level scuba diving in several locations

Comment

West: Portland, OR
                            East: Fajardo, PR
                            North: Bemidji, MN
                            South: Santiago, CL

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              South: Bonaire (my Argentina trip was cancelled due to COVID)
                              You dive?
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

North - Vancouver Island
                                South - Bonaire
                                East - Tokyo
                                West - Maui (hopefully headed to Kauai over Thanksgiving)
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X