The new COVID thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I have been eager for such data. I am not seeing enough difference between being boosted and just having the initial two shots to justify the focus on boosting in developed nations when there are so many completely unvaccinated people worldwide.
    well the boosters are significant...but nothing compared to the difference between unvaxxed and vaxxed.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I have been eager for such data. I am not seeing enough difference between being boosted and just having the initial two shots to justify the focus on boosting in developed nations when there are so many completely unvaccinated people worldwide. Charts like that make it clear that the greater good, by far, is focusing on getting everyone double vaxxed at this point.
      Your point is valid, if people could give up the booster and trade it for an unvaxxed person getting a shot that would be a net gain. Doesn't seem to work that way in practice
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
        additionally ppl could say, but nullnor, injecting mRNA lipid nanoparticles and not completely knowing where all of them may end up is a good thing because it can unexpectedly induce a mucosal and innate immune response. and I would agree.
        Please look at the data I posted and let me know what you think about the benefit of getting vaccinated. How does that compare to the risks that concern you?
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          well the boosters are significant...but nothing compared to the difference between unvaxxed and vaxxed.
          Based on just that chart, it does not seem significant it you are under the age of 50. I get foregoing getting boosted doesn't really help, and we did not have such data before, but now we do, it is clearly logical to focus on getting more people double vaxxed. Spending resources on trying to get double vaxxed folks under 50 boosted is an immoral diversion of resources. It is depressing that at this point we still have patents on these vaxxes and we are still putting up barriers on access based on finance rather than logistics. This is not only going to cost the lives of those getting infected now, it greatly increases the rate of mutation and deaths in the future.

Comment

If only everyone could/would just get vaccinated. quite amazing how much vaccines help. Nully, take a look and let me know what you think. Please consider getting a vaccination.

https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/sta...28897259712513
            Incredibly illustrative and illuminating chart. Thanks.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Based on just that chart, it does not seem significant it you are under the age of 50. I get foregoing getting boosted doesn't really help, and we did not have such data before, but now we do, it is clearly logical to focus on getting more people double vaxxed. Spending resources on trying to get double vaxxed folks under 50 boosted is an immoral diversion of resources. It is depressing that at this point we still have patents on these vaxxes and we are still putting up barriers on access based on finance rather than logistics. This is not only going to cost the lives of those getting infected now, it greatly increases the rate of mutation and deaths in the future.
              You probably looked at the chart closer than I did. I just posted it to point out the importance of getting vaccinated in a hail mary to convince Nully. I completely agree that the focus of all the world governments should be on getting vaccines to the unvaccinated. But money talks.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

You probably looked at the chart closer than I did. I just posted it to point out the importance of getting vaccinated in a hail mary to convince Nully. I completely agree that the focus of all the world governments should be on getting vaccines to the unvaccinated. But money talks.
                Yeah, i get what you are trying to do with Nully, and I commend it, but Nully is gonna Nully. I believe he recently said he caught Omicron (correct me if I'm wrong, Nully), and has only had mild symptoms, but is worried about the older man he interacts with who is triple vaxxed. If Nully didn't get vaxxed before, relying on his innate immunity, now that he has caught Omicron and it was mild and has additional natural immunity, I think there is a better chance of Trump admitting he lost the 2020 election than Nully getting vaxxed. Nully, I am glad your case was/is mild. It may have been worse if you had caught a previous variant.

Comment

Yeah, i get what you are trying to do with Nully, and I commend it, but Nully is gonna Nully. I believe he recently said he caught Omicron (correct me if I'm wrong, Nully), and has only had mild symptoms, but is worried about the older man he interacts with who is triple vaxxed. If Nully didn't get vaxxed before, relying on his innate immunity, now that he has caught Omicron and it was mild and has additional natural immunity, I think there is a better chance of Trump admitting he lost the 2020 election than Nully getting vaxxed. Nully, I am glad your case is mild.
                  The Nully I know would never get tested to confirm he was infected...but yeah, I hear you. Maybe if I promise to deliver some cat food ? I'm sure that would turn the tables...or is cat food "kitty crack"? Maybe I need to deliver fresh birds, mice and fish.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Please look at the data I posted and let me know what you think about the benefit of getting vaccinated. How does that compare to the risks that concern you?
                    you mean boosted? it depends on your risk. like the old guy here has 3 shots, he's 315 pounds, type 2 diabetes and hypertension, gout or an autoimmune disease or more, pernicious anemia I think that is terminal. and take over 100 pills a week. if he died i'd be fucked. I mean, I love medical science. when they have their shit together, they perform miracles.

depends on a persons comorbidities. if you have none waiting is the best option. if you think you have a strong immune system go for it and have a chicken pox party and try to catch Omicron. you are still playing Russian roulette. if you have different genes or microbes or something and covid affects you. what data am I looking at the twitter link?

Comment

you mean boosted? it depends on your risk. like the old guy here has 3 shots, he's 315 pounds, type 2 diabetes and hypertension, gout or an autoimmune disease or more, pernicious anemia I think that is terminal. and take over 100 pills a week. if he died i'd be fucked. I mean, I love medical science. when they have their shit together, they perform miracles.

depends on a persons comorbidities. if you have none waiting is the best option. if you think you have a strong immune system go for it and have a chicken pox party and try to catch Omicron. you are still playing Russian roulette. if you have different genes or microbes or something and covid affects you. what data am I looking at the twitter link?
                      You are avoiding the question. The best way to assess risk is to look at a large population. I gave you data. Don't come at me with 315 pound bullshit, respond to the data I posted.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

assuming you are 50-60 years old your chance of needing critical care are about 50 times greater if you are unvaccinated. Those are just facts. But you can dodge and weave if you want to to win an internet argument.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• if you don't want to catch Omicron then I think boosting is a good choice. I believe them when they say it will help. it's sound science. and Delta could still be out there. your body will think it is still under attack from a virus and rally the forces even stronger than before. it will still recognize the virus. and if you have already had 2 shots and no adverse effects, it shouldn't hurt.

it's like this you are playing a game of chicken. there is no answer. everything depends on what this RNA, mutating virus is going to do. they don't even know if this is going to create memory or not. so here's a scenario, every time you get boosted, if the virus mutates so much (it hasn't yet) there is no more efficacy, you have to wait 6 months for you immune system to forget. or a new reformulated vaccine.

unless, it does create memory, and waning antibodies aren't a good indicator of future protection.in that case you will still be protected upon infection re-challenge because you have long lasting immunity.

Comment

• the twitter chart? it doesn't show any other information except percentage of ppl in critical care. they could be in there for other reasons and tested positive and were unvaccinated.

Comment

the twitter chart? it doesn't show any other information except percentage of ppl in critical care. they could be in there for other reasons and tested positive and were unvaccinated.
                              ICNARC have updated their analysis of COVID patients in critical care in England, Wales and NI. They now show boosted patients as well.

Lol, 50 times more likely to be in critical care if you are unvaccinated ? You are smarter than this. Just admit you don't want to get a vaccine, don't pretend it is a rational decision. Just be honest with yourself and all of us fans.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

the twitter chart? it doesn't show any other information except percentage of ppl in critical care. they could be in there for other reasons and tested positive and were unvaccinated.
                                50 times more likely to be in critical care if you are unvaccinated. Go rationalize that away if you want to.

EDIT: You know lots of science, probably more than me...but come on, don't ignore the obvious
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X