The new COVID thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new COVID thread

I thought those of us who wanted to continue the discussion about the worst pandemic in 100 years could do so here without having to wade through so much nonsense.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Local leaders and school officials beginning to defy the inexplicable "you shall not mask" mandates passed by governors in Texas and Florida. It's hard to imagine that defunding school districts or seizing teacher salaries is constitutional to begin with, but that's the new GOP I guess.

Edit: The Biden administration has pledged to pay the salaries of any person who gets their paycheck revoked by DeSantis for requiring masks.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

"Doctor" Rand Paul kicked off YouTube for spreading COVID disinformation. Marjorie Taylor Qreen kicked off Twitter for the same. Still hard for me to see the end game in encouraging your base to die.

Comment

Suggestion: Call it the "New and Improved COVID thread." People sometimes fear newness, but they like improvements, so you can definitely rope more people in that way.

I mean if you're walking down the street and there's a "New" store right next to a "New and Improved" store, which one are you going into? I know my choice.

Comment

The Variant Thread has a nice ring to it.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This variant of the original thread will hopefully remain on topic.

I was at a family wedding reception in Indiana this past weekend. It was a interesting experience. I have one aunt and uncle that are un-vaxxed. At every family function, they were at the end of the table, isolated. My cousins and myself avoided them like the plague. The reception was easily 200 people in a closed room. While I had some hesitancy, people were respectful and masked up when asked.

Delta is going to be an issue for my work with seniors in the coming weeks, as we are starting to go back to COVID protocols. I'm hopeful it doesn't get worse, but I'm anticipating it will.
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
              "Doctor" Rand Paul kicked off YouTube for spreading COVID disinformation. Marjorie Taylor Qreen kicked off Twitter for the same. Still hard for me to see the end game in encouraging your base to die.
              Based on the data I'm seeing - and most of what I have is from a very left-leaning site - the meme about most of those who aren't vaccinated being mouth-breathing white MAGA voters sure appears very untrue. They're certainly the loudest - that I won't argue - but the percentages of minorities who are not vaccinated is very high in some cases, and I'd venture the number of younger people who are unvaccinated leans liberal. And I was surprised at the number of younger adult age groups that's unvaccinated.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I was at the Mets game last night and I was very curious as to what the mask situation would be. I wore mine most of the time other than eating/drinking, as did my 8-year old. I would say it was about 1/3 of the crowd which was masked. All/most of the staff had masks.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Based on the data I'm seeing - and most of what I have is from a very left-leaning site - the meme about most of those who aren't vaccinated being mouth-breathing white MAGA voters sure appears very untrue. They're certainly the loudest - that I won't argue - but the percentages of minorities who are not vaccinated is very high in some cases, and I'd venture the number of younger people who are unvaccinated leans liberal. And I was surprised at the number of younger adult age groups that's unvaccinated.
                  I don't doubt that's true (but would like to verify!) but a very big difference is that prominent leaders on the left are not publicly espousing anti-vaxx rhetoric.

Comment

My son's school is 100% mask mandated. Still nervous about his first day! By way of comparison, my sister-in-law's daughter just started kindergarten in Arizona, where there is another one of those unconscionable mask bans, and her daughter and one other kid are the only ones with masks.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Yup, you're absolutely right.

The unvaxxed seem to be one-third MAGAts, one-third African-Americans, one-third youngsters.

Comment

I don't doubt that's true (but would like to verify!) but a very big difference is that prominent leaders on the left are not publicly espousing anti-vaxx rhetoric.
                        I agree with your point about who is espousing anti-vaccine rhetoric, but I also doubt chance's data claim.
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I wish I could find the site that I saw a couple weeks ago that broke down vaccination rates by county compared to Trump vote share. There was a very strong correlation.

This article only breaks it down at the state level for the US as a whole and at the county level within Colorado, but everything I've seen suggests this same county-level breakdown across the U.S. I don't see how you get from that to the unvaccinated population leaning liberal. Minorities, perhaps yes. And that sadly may be a function of having less access to vaccination as well as hesitancy?

The nation’s response to COVID was partisan almost from its very beginnings. What’s stunning is that the partisan divide on COVID is growing deeper more than a year into the illness, and indeed is …
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

And here's the underlying data for that Denver Post article with a more thorough analysis:

The United States is not going to meet President Joe Biden’s target of 70% of the eligible population vaccinated by July 4th. This is not because of a lack of supply or capacity: in every sta…

It seems like there are two main conclusions from that analysis:
                            1. How Republican a county voted in both 2012 and 2020 was the main factor for lack of vaccinations.
                            2. Higher Black population was a secondary factor for lack of vaccinations. (The author did not examine county poverty as a potential variable, although he did consider urban/rural as a variable.)

Comment

I thought those of us who wanted to continue the discussion about the worst pandemic in 100 years could do so here without having to wade through so much nonsense.
                              Now where i am i going to get house buying tips and learn about animal behavior. Oh right. The old COVID thread.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X