The new COVID thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hacko View Post
    I have shoulder pain everyday welcome to getting old. Also hip pain,feet,knee , the back…
    I need readers now too. Might get multi focus contacts but worried they will suck. Readers over my regular contacts seem like the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      I need readers now too. Might get multi focus contacts but worried they will suck. Readers over my regular contacts seem like the best bet.
      In my opinion, it is, no question. You'll get used to having a pair of readers in your pocket at all times...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        I thought those of us who wanted to continue the discussion about the worst pandemic in 100 years could do so here without having to wade through so much nonsense.
        Sorry...it's all about contacts/glasses and mind control
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Sorry...it's all about contacts/glasses and mind control
          and shoulder pain, don't forget the shoulder pain
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Reverend Jesse Jackson and his wife have both been hospitalized after testing positive for Covid-19.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              Sorry, I’m still working on the microwave mind control. You’ll stop noticing the shocks in a day or two.
              I knew that part of it would be a GOP plot.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

worked with a school district this week who has seen the following jump week over week in data:

Positive cases were up 178% week over week:
                -up 237% with students
                -up 61% with employees

Total Direct Contacts Quarantined up 276% week over week:
                -up 324% with students
                -down 20% with employees

This is a district which allows parents to opt their children out of a mask policy without any kind of medical reason, and 15% of parents have done so with their children over the past week.

There is a math lesson there somewhere....

Comment

The racial breakdown in that poll is inconsistent with numbers I have seen to this point. Not a fan of self-reporting data on something like vaccination, and I can't find how many people were polled, but it is at least interesting that so many said they were vaccinated. To this point, everything I have seen indicated AAs are vaccinated at a lower rate than other groups, and I think it is a failing of messaging and trust building.

It is also surprising the poll indicated 18-34 is more vaxxed than the 35-49 age range. That too is inconsistent with the all of the data I have seen.

Comment

N=1000
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Here is one for the Shadenfreude crowd. A anti-mask freedom rally organizer has died of COVID at age 30, after refusing testing, because he did not want to become part of the COVID test statistics and after taking the recently touted home remedies on the right, including Ivermectin. His family's GoFundMe is doing very well, and they are going to need it--he leaves behind a pregnant stay-at-home wife, with three daughters and a foruth on the way.

I find the story incredibly sad, and I am left continuing to be dumbfounded by those who act like he did. It is as if there is an inborn need for many to find a cause worth dying for, and if none is around, they pick a less worthy one anyway. I am not criticizing his beliefs, even if I disagree with them, but the level of his conviction. I cannot fathom going all in on anti-safety measures as if they were really the equivalent of the horrors inflicted on people by the Nazis, as so many on the right love to claim so offensively. Even if one is skeptical of the efficacy of masks, or the need for other COVID regulations, to not only know with complete certainty that your belief is accurate, but to be willing to die for it, and take many more with you....it reminds me of what Nietzche said, "Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."

Comment

It is easy to get down right now, in the middle of a Delta spike hitting us harder than many thought it would at this point, and the waning efficacy in the vaccines in stopping infection and spread, but it is worth reflecting on how lucky we were that the science was in the right spot to be able to develop these vaccines so quickly, and that we are fortunate that the vaccines are doing a lot of good, saving countless lives. And with all the frustration over anti-vaxxers, the US's overall rate of vaccination is double the world average (due largely to our privilege of access, of course), and 82% of our population over the age of 65 is fully vaccinated, and 92% has had at least one shot.

It is easy to focus on the losses and the tragedies, the mistakes that led to so many needless deaths. But as with everything pertaining to the human condition, we have a mix of hair-pulling madness and stupidity, and truly remarkable achievements. Some of these numbers are pretty amazing, given where we were just a year ago: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ine-doses.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          Here is one for the Shadenfreude crowd. A anti-mask freedom rally organizer has died of COVID at age 30, after refusing testing, because he did not want to become part of the COVID test statistics and after taking the recently touted home remedies on the right, including Ivermectin. His family's GoFundMe is doing very well, and they are going to need it--he leaves behind a pregnant stay-at-home wife, with three daughters and a foruth on the way.

I find the story incredibly sad, and I am left continuing to be dumbfounded by those who act like he did. It is as if there is an inborn need for many to find a cause worth dying for, and if none is around, they pick a less worthy one anyway. I am not criticizing his beliefs, even if I disagree with them, but the level of his conviction. I cannot fathom going all in on anti-safety measures as if they were really the equivalent of the horrors inflicted on people by the Nazis, as so many on the right love to claim so offensively. Even if one is skeptical of the efficacy of masks, or the need for other COVID regulations, to not only know with complete certainty that your belief is accurate, but to be willing to die for it, and take many more with you....it reminds me of what Nietzche said, "Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."
                          You are much more understanding than I am. This guy was from San Angelo, Tx--where I went to college and not only did he refuse to vaccinate, mitigate or educate--he spread misinformation and was the founder of San Angelo Freedom Defenders. A couple of my pals who still live in the area knew the guy and like you, are somewhat saddened and non critical even though they disagree with his choices.

I just can't be that way anymore. Especially with guys like this who not only refused to do his part to prevent others from getting and possibly dying from Covid, but actively campaigned to get others to do the same.

Is it a tragedy he died? With a few exceptions, every loss of life is tragic--but the guy did it to himself and so he'll get not a drop of sympathy from me, his family will--but only if they use this tragedy to prevent others from adopting/encouraging this man's opinions on Covid. If they choose to double down--fuck em. I am tired of the willful ignorance of those who continue to rail against vaccines, mitigation measures and the virus in general--It's killing people--People I know, family, friends--and those it doesn't kill it can still disable for life. I've at least 2 friends I know that are and may be for quite a while--if not life--hooked up to oxygen tanks, they cannot even walk down the damn hall without gasping for breath.

Lives, lifestyles, industries ALL affected in a detrimental way because these asshats will NOT listen to reason and in some cases actively go out of their way to convince others of their asinine ways.

So yeah, it's tragic--but they have no one else to blame but themselves.

The Mean Guy.
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Yeah, I’m pretty much with GITH on this. Yes, it’s absolutely a tragedy for the families of people this happens to. But they know what they need to do, but refuse to do it. It’s a broader version of people who knowingly drive drunk, putting themselves and others at risk. I can’t feel a whole lot of sympathy for drunk drivers who kill or injure themselves, either.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              Yeah, I’m pretty much with GITH on this. Yes, it’s absolutely a tragedy for the families of people this happens to. But they know what they need to do, but refuse to do it. It’s a broader version of people who knowingly drive drunk, putting themselves and others at risk. I can’t feel a whole lot of sympathy for drunk drivers who kill or injure themselves, either.
                              I should clarify--I do not mourn his passing in a vacuum. I agree, he brought it on himself, and if his death leads anyone else who shared his beliefs reason to reconsider, it will only go a short way in negating the harm he spent the latter part of his life spreading. My sadness is for his wife, who was not an anti-masker, and his children, and more broadly, for the absolutely misguided convictions of people like them that lead them to die and kill in the name of what they believe is a righteous cause. In that way, I liken him more to a terrorist than a drunk driver. Drunk drivers generally don't have strong convictions about the righteousness of drunk driving that lead them to preach its merit to others. So, no, I don't mourn his death at all in a vacuum. He got what was coming to him, but like many terrorists, he seemed to really believe his wrong words and actions were righteous. That is a dangerous thing for all, as we continue to see.

Comment

Working...
                              X