What's a good Wifi Router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good Wifi Router?

I have a Linksys AC 3000 router, which I think I bought a few years ago, but it seems to be fading badly.

I have 250 mbps speeds, but I'm lucky if I get 1/5 of that from my wifi in rooms that are just 50 feet away.

I had to buy a few extenders (at $100 a clip) that I placed all over the house, and while they work OK, it's obviously not ideal.

This wifi router is also supposed to be a "smart router" where I can set schedules for certain devices (namely, my kids devices) but it never works.

So, I'd like a new wifi router that:
    - can cover most of a large house (4,000+ sqft)
    - has "smart" features
    - would even work with my existing Linksys extenders

Anyone with some good recommendations?

I used to have Linksys or Netgear routers for a long time. Every 2-3 years they would die and need to be replaced, and there were definite dead spots in the house. A couple years ago I bought a 3-pack of eero mesh routers and placed them around the downstairs and have been happy. They can be controlled by an app on my phone, which is nice.

I don't know if they would work with your existing Linksys extenders, but I would guess no. I don't know if eero is the best option for you, but it's one I've been happy with.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

4,000 square foot house? Damn! I use a Linksys EA6350 router and tp-link WiFi extenders in a couple rooms in my house and my internet is great. Router was super cheap, less than $100. Extenders are like $20/per or something.

Edit: No idea if my router has smart features. Probably not, given the price point.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        I used to have Linksys or Netgear routers for a long time. Every 2-3 years they would die and need to be replaced, and there were definite dead spots in the house. A couple years ago I bought a 3-pack of eero mesh routers and placed them around the downstairs and have been happy. They can be controlled by an app on my phone, which is nice.

I don't know if they would work with your existing Linksys extenders, but I would guess no. I don't know if eero is the best option for you, but it's one I've been happy with.
        eero is offered by my Internet provider. I'll look more into them.

I was also researching Linksys mesh routers. I have no idea what a "mesh router" is, mind you.

4,000 square foot house? Damn! I use a Linksys EA6350 router and tp-link WiFi extenders in a couple rooms in my house and my internet is great. Router was super cheap, less than $100. Extenders are like $20/per or something.
        Well, it's really like 4,500. And that doesn't include the 3-car garage that probably adds another 800 sq feet, and a new shed we're building that's about 30'x14' for another 420+ sq ft. But who's really counting?

And TBH, it wasn't very 'spensive, which is why we moved where we did, lol.

Anyway, I'll look into the router. Thanks.

Comment

Looking for ways to improve your WiFi signal? Learn the difference between a WiFi extender and a mesh network to choose the best option.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post

Edit: No idea if my router has smart features. Probably not, given the price point.
            This is almost exactly what I have, and definitely have a "dumb" router. Overall good, but do have to monitor the TP-Link extenders; ours seem to randomly go down and stay down.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I have the google wifi mesh pucks (3) ... works well out of the box, tho I understand that if you have anything unusual it can be very difficult to configure (I've kept it to a basic vanilla install)
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I bought the TP Link Deco X20 Wifi mesh router system. Thanks guys.

Comment

Reminds me of that movie Good Wifi Hunting with Minnie Drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    I bought the TP Link Deco X20 Wifi mesh router system. Thanks guys.
                    And it sucks. My kids’ bedrooms in the basement was getting far worse signals, and I was having geolocation issues with my PC. Back to Amazon you go! Next!!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      And it sucks. My kids’ bedrooms in the basement was getting far worse signals, and I was having geolocation issues with my PC. Back to Amazon you go! Next!!
                      I have Eero and have never once had an issue.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        I have Eero and have never once had an issue.
                        Ah, yes, but do you live in the Windsor Castle like Lord Revo of Jerseyshire?
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

It was a couple years ago, but at that time all the reviews said Google or eero were the best, and that eero had a better/easier interface.

Comment

I tend to trust Tom's reviews ...

Best mesh Wi-Fi systems for 2021: Mesh Wi-Fi routers and points
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              Ah, yes, but do you live in the Windsor Castle like Lord Revo of Jerseyshire?
                              That's Pennsylvaniashire.

I'm not sure why the router changed my geolocation systems on my PC (and NOT on my iPhone/iPad which were also on the new wifi), and after spending an hour with TP Link AND DraftKings technical support -- you DON'T mess with my sports wagering! -- I had no alternative but to send it back.

So apparently a "mesh" system is just one long interlocking web zone. Extenders each have their own zone. I suppose if you're walking around with something in your house, like a non-cellular iPad, it would be helpful, but after realizing that that's exactly was "mesh" is, I realized I didn't need it. Especially when the 250 mbps I get on my router was being degraded to 5-15 mbps on this new wifi system.

Comment

Working...
                              X