Is 2021 worse than 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 2021 worse than 2020?

I've been contemplating this for the past week. There is little doubt that 2020 sucked in so, so many ways. Very little positive (Trump losing) from 2020. However, in some ways, I see this year almost worse. We had the Insurrection on Jan. 6, which was a byproduct of a lot from 2020 and Trump, but it came to a head that day. We have vaccines that are proving effective, and yet we have a segment of society that is so dug in that it seems we will be playing a continual COVID loop with wave after wave of variants. Inflation, while I believe it to be short-lived, is squeezing people. Difficulty in finding employees. Difficulty in funding employment that meets financial needs. More gridlock and obstruction from Congress, and some legislators need to shut the hell up.

I won't lie, I'm starting to get more and more angry with the anti-vax folks. They live in a different reality than I do. I spent 2020 walking into a hospital virtually everyday, and the tension inside that building was palpable. I was sending volunteers out to vulnerable seniors to deliver meals, it weighed on me if we were responsible for someone getting COVID. We did all we could to manage risk, and we did a damn fine job. Hardest work of my life, and then to sit in a meeting a few weeks ago and someone asked me if we were planning an in-person event for the the fall, and my response was, "Yes, but the delta variant may change that." And to get sighs and eye rolls...2021 sucks ass.

I'm tired of people's apathy.

Rant over.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

2021 -- and 2022 -- will suck more ass for the unvaccinated than the vaccinated.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      2021 -- and 2022 -- will suck more ass for the unvaccinated than the vaccinated.
      this is true, and it really sucks for those of us with kids under 10

Comment

IMO the simple fact that we have a vaccine & it's been widely distributed across the west makes 2021 waaaayyyyy better then 2020. YMMV.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          this is true, and it really sucks for those of us with kids under 10
          Yes it does.

Comment

It's not worse. But, i think everyone expected 2021 to be so much better than 2020. Instead, it's only just slightly better. Our expectations for 2021 were much higher than this.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              It's not worse. But, i think everyone expected 2021 to be so much better than 2020. Instead, it's only just slightly better. Our expectations for 2021 were much higher than this.
              Yeah, I have to admit, even though part of my brain knew another spike was coming eventually, I saw the big fall with the vaccinations, and I thought we were getting close enough to the rate needed that the spike would not be as big and as soon as it has been. Two steps forward, one step back. I guess it was always pie in the sky to think we'd have this thing licked by now.

Comment

I have to believe most people are suffering some kind of PTSD in 2021 after 2016-2020. It's like we've finally been released from a 4 year abusive relationship and though we're happy we're out--we still have a bit of a hangover. Also, as we relax we realize the loss we've suffered to Covid, to Trumpism/Qanon--I mean how many of us lost friends/family over the past 4 years to politics and ideology? As has been mentioned, 2021 is and should be far better than 2020, but it just doesn't "feel" like it. At least not to me.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  I have to believe most people are suffering some kind of PTSD in 2021 after 2016-2020. It's like we've finally been released from a 4 year abusive relationship and though we're happy we're out--we still have a bit of a hangover. Also, as we relax we realize the loss we've suffered to Covid, to Trumpism/Qanon--I mean how many of us lost friends/family over the past 4 years to politics and ideology? As has been mentioned, 2021 is and should be far better than 2020, but it just doesn't "feel" like it. At least not to me.
                  it was starting to feel better until the latest outbreak, at least for me. The years seem kind of arbitrary, just feels like pre-covid and covid. Hopefully we get to post-Covid sometime in the near future.
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    it was starting to feel better until the latest outbreak, at least for me. The years seem kind of arbitrary, just feels like pre-covid and covid. Hopefully we get to post-Covid sometime in the near future.
                    I'm sure you know that I was referring to the Trump years, which 2020 being the culmination of, to me at least, was a Yuuughe factor....
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      I'm sure you know that I was referring to the Trump years, which 2020 being the culmination of, to me at least, was a Yuuughe factor....
                      yeah, I can understand that position. While that is significant, the COVID situation seems more of an impact on my daily life and mental state.
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Far far better.

Comment

Working...
                        X