Josh Gibson honored in my town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh Gibson honored in my town

Playing with the Homestead Grays at Monessen’s Tin Plate Field on July 24, 1938, Gibson hit a 538 foot home run, which is actually the second longest he ever hit. Today, Monessen, MLB, and the Pirates honored that event by unveiling a historical market. His great grandson, Sean, attended the ceremony.
    Attached Files

Very cool! Greatest Negro League hitter of all time.

“You look for his weakness and while you're lookin’ for it, he’s liable to hit 45 home runs.” - Satchel Paige
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I will have to drive by there to check that out. Very cool !
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
        Playing with the Homestead Grays at Monessen’s Tin Plate Field on July 24, 1938, Gibson hit a 538 foot home run, which is actually the second longest he ever hit. Today, Monessen, MLB, and the Pirates honored that event by unveiling a historical market. His great grandson, Sean, attended the ceremony.
        That's really cool. Is Tin Plate Field still around ?
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        ---------------------------------------------
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          That's really cool. Is Tin Plate Field still around ?
          No. It was gone before i was born and grew up in Monessen.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Here's a better close up
            josh gibson2.jpg

Comment

Sean Gibson
              josh gibson3.jpg

Comment

As a kid, i remember the railroad tunnel that led to the former site of the old ballpark. It remained there for several decades after it was closed to traffic.

ETA: I seem to recall some of the local residents parking their boats in that closed tunnel.

ETA: Wow, that tunnel is still there. Or part of it is anyway. The back end is covered over. So, it's more of a spooky looking concrete cave now lol.
                Last edited by madducks; 07-24-2021, 07:05 AM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I wish baseball was still popular enough for employers to build baseball fields for their workers to play on. Sigh.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
                    Very good to hear!

Comment

Here's an article about it from MLB.com.

https://www.mlb.com/pirates/news/jos...ed-in-monessen

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Here's a video of the ceremony:

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                        X